1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AdSense for Search and "YOUR DOMAIN NAME"

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by tayiper, May 17, 2006.

OK folks, I know that I am probably asking the obvious, but I will ask it anyway just to be completely sure ...

I am talking about the "AdSense for Search" feature, particularly I am interested, should I replace the "YOUR DOMAIN NAME" with my particular free-host's URL (btw. I use AdSense on three variants of my home-site; meaning is this allowed, since it means modifying the AdSense code ??

tayiper

tayiper, May 17, 2006 IP
  2. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you can change the codes to meet your needs in the CP, you can modify it by hand to save time.

jackburton2006, May 17, 2006 IP
  3. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, a further question on basics of how to implement the Search box ...

I mean in the code, there are two separate places where it says: "YOUR DOMAIN NAME"; I speculate that one is meant to put your "domain name" in it, and the other one is what the Search box will actually display in the end (like for instance "search this site" etc.)

P.S. -- Also, I am interested what to put there for my main home-site variant, since it is itself located under the sub-directory. I mean, should I put there the whole URL: http://users.volja.net/tayiper or only the "server part": http://users.volja.net. But then again, in the second case, the search would return (i.e. the search-results would contain) the references to various other sites, which are also hosted on the "users.volja.net" server.

tayiper

tayiper, May 18, 2006 IP
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm, okay, you seem to have a lot of trouble with this, so I recommend you use Google's wizard to create the code. You might end up editing the wrong section and be in violation.

Regarding what URL to put in, you should put in the exact URL of your site, because that is what Google will be using to search. Basically, Google is using its own index of your site to search your site; i.e. any of your pages that aren't already in Google's index isn't going to show up in the search. Basically when someone searches your site they're just searching using the "site:YOURSITE" function. So put in the URL where your site is located. In this case, if I'm reading right, it would be "http://users.volja.net/tayiper".

But I really do encourage you to use their wizard first, and then go from there.

jackburton2006, May 18, 2006 IP
  5. Sara

Sara Guest

Best Answers:
    Better late than never - I just spent an hour trying to get google's setup page to put my domain name in the YOUR DOMAIN NAME section. It _should_ do it automatically, but, oh, had to stop and restart numerous time to get google to put it in. What a hassle. Eventually, in it popped. I thought I might have to alter code by hand! (terrifying thought ...)

I've done this in the past and not had a hassle with it, but somehow something has changed ...

Sara, May 28, 2006 IP