1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Value of Inbound Link from PR=0 page?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Ergobob, May 30, 2004.

Hello Everyone,

I have about 500+ links that I am going through and asking for a link to my site. They are all relevant sites and were obtained from competitor's backlinks.

I understand that there is value to all links regardless of PR. But, is there any benefit to getting a link from a relevant page that is a PR=0?

I am trying to thin the list and going for the PR=2+ first.

Any thoughts?

Bob

Ergobob, May 30, 2004 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    The theory is that the page rank 0 site will not stay a page rank zero site, so go ahead and link. One never knows how many backlinks site has picked up since last page rank back link update.

Shannon

Smyrl, May 30, 2004 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  3. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ask yourself if providing this link as a resource on your site will provide a benefit to your visitors. If not, then the answer should be simple for you. You may have to dig a little deeper, but there are plenty of quality sites available on the net for link exchanges.

Cricket, May 30, 2004 IP
  4. vagrant

vagrant Peon

Best Answers:
    i may be out on a limb here with what i think ?
    BUT it is an opinion from just a plain vanilla web master and not an SEO expert ...

I get about 20 to 60 emails a week from ppl asking me to link to their "wonder pill" cheap wholesale sites for dieting pills ( drives me up the wall ) ... my site is a child abuse survivors site and covers "some" aspects of eating disorders but not much ... so assume that is why they target me at times *sigh* ... I tend to DUMP all of those emails and put them in my spam filters.

_IF_ they provided a link to an article that was of VALUE to my users they would stand a much better chance of a link.... eg in my case (myths about male r*pe) http://www.aest.org.uk/survivors/male/myths_about_male_rape.htm
    (feel free to edit Shawn if u need)

What i am tryimg to say is be careful of anoying ppl by asking for links just for the sake of PR ... far better to write an article and point out to them that a link to that article might be of benifit to both sites.

As for a site being PR0 at the moment.. well the next pr / backlink update ( and we are due one soon me thinks ? ) might make them a PR4 or PR8 you never know ?
    or they might also just get blacklisted :( and be a PR0 ?

vagrent.

vagrant, May 30, 2004 IP
  5. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    Ergobob, I believe that what you are asking is if it is worth your time to get links from sites that have a Google PageRank of Zero.

First, you must understand that there are different kinds of PageRank. There is the Google Directory PageRank and the Google Toolbar PageRank. They are both calculated differently. I will assume you are referring to the Google Toolbar since that is what most people think of when they refer to PageRank.

You actually answered your OWN question...
    As you already stated, no page actually has a PageRank of ZERO. If a page has not been indexed, the Toolbar will show "no data". If it shows as being a "0 out of 10" in the Toolbar, it really means that the page has a value of less than 1.

Without going off on a very long detailed explanation of how PageRank is calculated and transferred, I'll just give the short version.

In theory, Google's algorithm assumes that every page on the Internet starts with a Value of 1 (or at least every page that they have indexed, which is somewhere around 12 billion right now). So, their system calculates a complete worldwide value of about 12 billion. They must disperse this PageRank to all pages based on linking structures. Being that it is a simultaneous equation, it really works like a pendulum that shifts fractions of PageRank from site to site, back and forth until the equation is as close to "balanced" as is adequate to generate their Hub & Authority model.

If every page has an initial value of 1, part of that ranking is given up to a page it links to. If that page links back to the first one and nothing else, then it would be a wash and both pages would remain equal.

This is in theory. In reality, it is never that simple. You may have links from pages you don't even know about. Remember, what is displayed in the Google backlinks aren't the only pages that are linking to you. It is just a sampling (usually a fairly accurate estimate).

Also, I'm sure you are aware that the PageRank is not only exponential but is also endlessly changing and is partially based on the total number of indexed pages and total number of inbound links that the current #1 site has (usually Yahoo or MSN). Think of it as Yahoo and MSN "setting the curve". For explanation purposes, let us say that they used an exponent of 10. Let us also say that it took 10 links from standard value 1 pages with no other outbound links to get to PR 1. That would mean that it would take 100 to get to PR 2, 1000 for PR 3, and 10,000 for PR 4. You get the idea. So to get a PR 4 to link to you is (again in theory) like getting 1000 PR 1 pages linking to you.

This is assuming that you are the ONLY link coming from that PR 4 page which is virtually never the case because even a site's own navigation will dilute its PageRank.

Also keep in mind that there is a difference between having a link from a PR 8 site and a PR 8 page. Though a PR 8 site is considered an "authority" site in the Hub & Authority model (or "Major" site if you want to refer to the Hilltop technology), it is the PR of the PAGE that is linking to you that has the most value.

What's more, not all links are created equal. An image link will get less value than a text link.

If you really want the ULTIMATE link.... it would be a text link with anchor text that has your keyword in it, surrounded by content about your keyword or topic, from a high PR PAGE, from an authority site, whose theme is about your topic, whose domain also has your keyword in it, who is also in the Google Directory (DMOZ), and whose site is located on a different server with a different first three octets in the IP range than your site.

Finding these "perfect" links is virtually impossible.
    (unless you create them. *wink*)

So, to answer your question...keep going after all links you can. It certainly can't hurt to have more pages linking to you, themed or not. Google will never penalize you for someone else linking to you. They may devalue links but they will never penalize you for getting links.

If they did penalize you for getting "less than desired" links people would set up thousands of sites whose only purpose would be to create link farms. Then they would link them all to their competitors to get them banned. I don't anticipate that will ever happen, though some people have been "cache bashing" their competitors by duplicating the exact content of a competitor's internal pages and backlink pages, thereby making their pages and links "worth" less. Be sure to use the "noarchive" meta tag on all of your pages to help protect yourself from this.

It is amazing how many Black Hat strategies are out there. Though I don't recommend using them, I do recommend knowing them. In every unethical Black Hat strategy, there is some small piece of it that could be used legitimately. At the very least, you need to know how to protect yourself from your competitors.

Keep plugging away.
    Good luck.

SEOGuru

SEOGuru, May 31, 2004 IP
    badevlad, wrmineo and 2ct7 like this.
  6. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As above, plus PR is not based on 1-10, it in fact runs from 0-10.999recurring, so in reality there are very fe PR0 pages they just show as PR0 because they have either not been indexed fuly & updated, or they are below the round of 1.

actual PR of 0.99999999 would show as PR0
    actual PR of 1.00000001 would show as PR1

although there is only minute differences in pr they will show up as PR1 & PR0. This is the same right up the scale, and that fabulous PR8 might in fact be PR8.00000001 .

The google directory can give you a better idea of the strength of the actual PR, as pages are listed by PR value so all the PR6 pages will be listed PR6 + at the top PR^- at the bottom, those near to the pr5's are at the lower end or the PR scale for their displayed PR.

It is currently thought that a page can 'donate' about 80-85% of its own worth, (the dampening effect was mentioned in the original white paper at stanford).

OWG

Old Welsh Guy, May 31, 2004 IP
  7. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I've posted this PR Chart before, but I'll post it again for this thread.

It indicates the relative values of pages with different PR rankings and also indicates the number of backlinks required to attain a specific PR depending on the value of PR from the linking page.

compar, May 31, 2004 IP
  8. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    take the link and just put it on back page somewhere

ferret77, May 31, 2004 IP
  9. North Carolina SEO

North Carolina SEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In keeping with the thought referenced here...

Would you place a contingency in your agreement with the site of the inbound link to drop it if the PR rank fell below a given point?

My question centers on PR rankings seem to be treated similar to currency and the loss of value to the receiving website potentially being "dragged down".

BTW, I really do appreciate the insight you provide on this forum. It is very much appreciated!

North Carolina SEO, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  10. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1 All inbound links are good.
    2 Links with higher PR are better.
    3 Most sites are only PR zero because they have not been "ranked" by Google yet.

Help Desk, Jun 1, 2004 IP
  11. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    I added my site to google etc about a month ago and have built up about 100 links to my site.

How long should I have to wait before I get a page rank? It's still 0.

Weirfire, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  12. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    it can take quite a while for the PR to update. no one knows exactly, but expect to wait at least a few weeks after the last deep crawl (which happens about monthy).

disgust, Jun 3, 2004 IP
  13. Help Desk

Help Desk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your Weirfire.co.uk site is returning in Google search results and Google knows of at least one backlink of PageRank 5. A site's showing of PageRank might be secondary to the actual results. Meaning the SERPs and the PageRank might not be in synch.

Help Desk, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  14. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that point is true and very important. A site with even the weakest and fewest IBLs will usually show at least a PR1 after it has been included in a BL/PR upgrade.

So it is may be dangerous to ignore PR0 pages because they could be PR4, 5 or 6 after the next upgrade.

The only thing that puts me off exhanging links with a site is when I find that the page where my IBL would be placed is not even cached by Google. If the site is brand new I will still proceed, but if the site has been around for any time this would usually suggest that the webmaster is purposely hiding his link page from Google. And any link on that page would be useless as far as the SEs go.

compar, Jun 4, 2004 IP
  15. DavidAusman

DavidAusman Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree....
    Mine is PR0 and will be PR6 soon (hopefully) :D

DavidAusman, Sep 22, 2005 IP
  16. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Why are you replying to this thread which is more than a year old you big eejit? :mad: :p

Weirfire, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  17. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    You gotta admit...Its pretty funny seeing you ask when you will get PR :p

How did you add your site to Google, Weir? lol

yfs1, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  18. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    Back in the day I went to Google and submitted it manually lol.

It's amazing what you can learn in a year!!

19. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That made me smile as well ;) (sorry)

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 23, 2005 IP
  20. Weirfire

Best Answers:
    I know, same here.

I looked at it and thought oh man there's another newbie until I saw the bright flaming avatar. :eek: