1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - a test of ethics

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by accountability, Jan 21, 2005.

Having long been a supporter of ODP, and a defender of it's abuse system. It is disturbing to see this post

http://resource-zone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31571

and this

http://www.rubberstamped.org/blog.html

Apparently the site was approved by an editor called skrenta, who was one of the founders of ODP. Any other editor doing this would be held accountable for trading a listing in ODP for a listing of his own site in that directory.

Based on a previous decision to make across the board listings of another skrenta owned site: http://rss.topix.net/rss/ - I believe that there is a reluctance to get involved. At that time, those who attempted to question the listing of topix.net were told not to argue with it.

I have also been told that although in general it is possible for an editor to look at all edits for another editor, it is not possible to do this for skrenta.

The mass of editors at ODP tries to do a fair and equitable job - it is a massive effort of volunteers and although not perfect, it provides a unique source of information. If this listing is left in ODP, and skrenta remains as an editor - it does a dis-service to those other editors and calls into question whether the abuse controls are above board.

accountability, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  2. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Talk about adding fuel to the fire.

ResaleBroker, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  3. mopacfan

mopacfan Peon

Best Answers:
    No introduction thread, just jumping in with both feet... So what exactly is it 'accountabiltiy' that you would like to see done in this matter? Me thinks this is another one post wonder.

mopacfan, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  4. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Its always a one post wonder when their screen name is related to their first post. :rolleyes:

Although as one post wonders go, at least its a little bit interesting.

yfs1, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  5. nandini

nandini Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting, a lot.. people who can`t stand on their own feet comes up with false names, for one or two posts and then disappear mysteriously in their own saddened world waiting for another oppurtunity to get their hands for abusing someone else.

nandini, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  6. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Bernard, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    SEbasic, Jan 21, 2005 IP
  8. whateverusay

whateverusay Peon

Best Answers:
    Something else sorta related..... geocities.com/insidedmoz/ (looks like it gone now. Another one bites the dust)

It is fast becomming who you know and not what you know but I am sceptical of how legitimate the corrupt one is but I agree with SEbasic in as much as it is very funny especially since the page has changed in the past few days after finding a public posting about the site in a meta's (or x meta's) blog. More and more a rant and I ain't convinced it is an editor. Everything in that 'rant' is publicly available.

As for the 'bid for an editor account' site god only knows how true it is until someone actually buys one. I expect it goes on all the time though just not as blantant as to offer it via a website :)

As for the skrenta thing I hear from a current editor that it is causing a bit of upset on the inside and people are leaving the ODP hand over foot with the loss of a couple of meta's already who are unhappy with what went down and I doubt they will be the last. Rumour has it that if skrenta is not booted a lot more editors will be walking away from the ODP.

Only time will tell but this has gotta be the worst time for ODP in a long time.

whateverusay, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  9. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    toot, toot, toot

Bernard, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  10. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    Looks like there may be some trash clearing going on at the ODP. I for one will not be disappointed. I have always believe that dmoz was corrupt. It also reminds me of a game called everquest, people were selling their high level accounts all the time.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  11. VegasMack

VegasMack Peon

Best Answers:
    Until there is some heavy duty house keeping, I fear it will only get worse for my once beloved ODP.

~VegasMack

VegasMack, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  13. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    Damn I started reading that thread over at ihelpyou

that one guys sig says

"Moderator, and Campaigner for a White Hatted Internet; Wear Your Hat With Pride."

muhahhahah

Anyways to add fuel to the fire

some one told me you can just straight pay for dmoz listings

I'll test it out and if it works I won't tell anyone else, you won't hear back

ferret77, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  14. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Blogmaster, Feb 14, 2005 IP
  15. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Man, I want to post in that thread but don't want to stir anything up...

What a close minded view most of those editors have...

The Traffic Wardens of the Net... Haha

SEbasic, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  16. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I read it too....... from someone who has never worried about submitting to dmoz, well after reading that thread I never will.......dmoz and it's up-themselves editors can go jump.

I realise this is not very articulate but I am aghast after reading that thread. If that's the attitude of the editors (they are playing God in a big big way) I think dmoz should be closed down. End of story.......

Cyclops, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  17. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I went there initially to get a client's site listed and find out information but lateron I was so disgusted with their lack of help. Everytime you ask, 3 editors respond answering absolutely nothing, they simply cut and paste. Funny thing is, I have friends who are editors, just not for the right categories :D

Blogmaster, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If DMOZ really cares about public perception, they should dump the ironically-named "resource zone" -- it's a joke -- non-editors go there to ask questions about the status of their sites and editors respond with condescension, rudeness, and arrogance -- not a good advertisement for DMOZ.

Then again, if DMOZ really cares about service to the internet community, they should just dump DMOZ.

minstrel, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    I have been adviced to go back and apologize but I am not sure that I see a need for it. I have seen so much corruption within their organization within the past 6 months. The behaviour displayed is the kind of behaviour which enables editors to do as they please in an unsupervised manner. The energy they put into holding on to their power supercedes any desire to increase quality of their listings.

Blogmaster, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  20. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What would you apologize FOR? Stating the obvious?

minstrel, Feb 15, 2005 IP