1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do I Add An Image Border Using PhotoShop Elements?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by dusty's mommy, Apr 29, 2008.

My wholesaler allows me to use the images from their website as long as the url doesn't point to them. For the time being, I will be saving these images to my hard drive. I have two questions:

1) Using Adobe Photoshop Elements, I used to be able to create a border around an image. I haven't used this program in so long, I have forgotten how to do this.

I open the image and then move it to the center by maximizing it (full screen, I guess), and that is all I remember how to do!

The border I want might be just a thin outline of color around the image or something more elaborate I make up.

2) After I complete my editing of the image, do I have to use the Save for Web option? Can I just save it without taking that step, or will the image not look as good on my site?

dusty's mommy, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  2. Marie-Aude

Marie-Aude Member

Best Answers:
    To create a simple border, select all, edit, border, then you select the color, how many pixels...

It's better to save for web, as it removes unnecessary data like the exifs. It also allows to manage the compression level with more precision, for example by giving a target size. Overall, for the same quality, a file saved for web will be smaller than a file saved as jpeg. (and on top of that, it offers a preview window that you don't have in the save as)

Marie-Aude, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  3. dusty's mommy

dusty's mommy Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems I have forgotten how to add color and change pixels! I have the image in the center and once I click on Select>All, it gives me a running broken line around the image. Then I go back to Select>Modify, and it gives me a place to select a Width pixels of up to 200. This is not enough to create a border (it seems to extend the white space around the image just a small bit), and it only gives me that option for width, not height.

Even if I could figure out how to make the area around the image larger, I still don't know how to fill it. I only want to fill it with black.

Advice?

Thanks!

dusty's mommy, Apr 29, 2008 IP
  4. Marie-Aude

Marie-Aude Member

Best Answers:
    Once you have selected all, you are going to frame your selection. So you don't go to the select menu, but to the Edit menu and use Stroke. The window is quite self explanatory

The other option, which is not so good, is to select black as a background color (the two small color boxes in the tool box) and go to Image > Canvas size and enlarge of the number of pixel you want your border to be. It will normally use the background color

Marie-Aude, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  5. alex894

alex894 Guest

Best Answers:
    right click on layer>blending options>stroke...

nvm what I said above...I read your second post....

create new layer and draw a transparent shape that matches your picture there.....then on the new layer>go >blending options> and toss a stroke on it.

hope it helps

alex894, Apr 30, 2008 IP
  6. nekabloggymedia

nekabloggymedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can follow this way step by step, I hope it will help you:

STEP ONE- Select "All".

Go up to the "Select" Menu and choose "All". Or use the keyboard shortcut: Command-A on a Mac or Control-A on a PC.
    That will put a Selection around your entire document as indicated by the dashed lines (often called Marching Ants).

STEP TWO- Bring Up The "Stroke" Dialog Box.
    Go up to the "Edit" Menu and choose "Stroke (Outline) Selection...".
    The "Stroke" Dialog Box will appear.

STEP THREE- Set The Stroke.

Let's start by looking at the "Stroke" Section.
    This is where you choose how wide or thick you want the stroke to be as measured in pixels and what color you want it to be.

If you want a wider stroke, you can enter any whole number from 1 to 250 into the Width field.
    If you want a color other than black, click once on the black rectangle next to the word "Color" and the "Select Stroke Color" dialog box (often called The Color Picker) will appear.

STEP FOUR- Set The "Location".
    Now let's look at the "Location" section.
    In this section we have 3 choices, Inside, Center, and Outside. These refer to where we want our stroke to be in relationship to our Selection. Again you're going to leave it at the default setting which is "Inside".
    Inside means the whole width of the stroke will be towards the inside of our Selection line.
    Center means that half of the stroke's width will be on one side of the Selection line and half will be on the opposite side.
    If you have your width set for an odd number and choose center, it puts the larger amount on the inside of the Selection. So for example, if you choose 9 for your width, it will put 4 on the outside and 5 on the inside.
    Outside means that the whole width of the stroke will be on the outside of the Selection line.
    If we would choose Outside, we wouldn't see our stroke because our Selection line is already on the outside edge of the photo and we can't go any further out.
    If we would choose Center, we would only see the half of the width that is on the inside of our Selection line. In fact if we would make our stroke 8 pixels wide and choose center, it would look the same as making the stroke 4 pixels wide and choosing "inside".
    So, bottom line: choose "Inside" for the Location.

nekabloggymedia, Jan 20, 2017 IP