1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A further AdSense related question

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by tayiper, Apr 30, 2006.

... in particular about the "AdSense for Search" option (it's checked by default), that I've checked when I signed-up today (but unfortunately haven't read about it before), i.e. there are few things that are at least to me still somehow confusing ...

As first, I am not sure if I will need to remove the existing "FreeFind" search box that I now use on my home-site's pages, since it says this (see the quoted text below) under the "General" section on the "localized-terms" page; it's a so-called "Online Standard Terms and Conditions" page:

Further, this is however not directly related to "AdSense for Search", but I am asking it anyway, i.e. I am also curiuos what about the various Bravenet's services that I use (Bravenet is one of my free-hosts, which offers also other services/features), for instance its "Affiliate Program" service (displays an ad), its "Traffic Exchange" service (a displayed ad and a generated popup), etc. ?? I mean should I remove those, or at least not place the AdSense code on those variants of my home-site (yeah, I have six of them, all hosted on such "free-hosts")

thanks, tayiper

tayiper, Apr 30, 2006 IP
  2. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Tayiper,

If you use the AdSense for Search option, you cannot display *any* other search program on *any* of the pages on that site - so the FreeFind search program will have to go.

As far as what types of ads can be displayed on the same pages as AdSense, you can use any non-contextual based advertising, provided it doesn't mimick the look of AdSense ads. Affiliate programs are typically okay, and the traffic exchange service is probably okay, too - provided that they are not content-based. If you're unsure, check directly with Google - I've contacted them with questions like this before, and they've always provided a quick and informative response. :)

Sam

WebFreedom, May 2, 2006 IP
  3. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks much for the reply "WebFreedom" ...

Please, can you also tell me (or anyone else for that matter), if I've checked that option during AdSense the sign-up, is there a way to un-check it later on ?? Or maybe this feature is so good (for SEO stuff etc.), that it's better to remove the FreeFind search-engine's code and rather use the Google's one ??

/UPDATE: Oh, and excuse my ignorance (language barrier in particular), but could you please a bit more thoroughly explain to me what means "non-contextual" and "content-based" ??!

regards, tayiper

tayiper, May 2, 2006 IP
  4. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    And one totally new question (well, two of them actually), you see, I am just in the middle of the process of deciding which types of ads to display on my sites. And since there is a rule/policy to be able to "Up to three ad units may be displayed on each Web site page", I was thinking to diplay a single "Text Ads - Banner - 468 x 60" on my "index.html" page (see the link to my site in my "Public Profile"), then on my "root-main" pages two separate "Text Ads - Leaderboard - 728 x 90" (and maybe also one "Text Ads - Banner - 468 x 60" instead of the Mozbot search-box), and on the "root-main" pages also two separate "Image Ads - Leaderboard - 728 x 90" (i.e. placed on two different locations, probably on top/bottom), and similarly to the above example maybe also one "Image Ads - Banner - 468 x 60" instead of the Mozbot.

So my first question is the following: in general, which ones are recommended, the so-called "Text Ads" or "Image Ads", which one are known to perform better ?? And as second, I am curious, if I will decide in the end to place two separate "Leaderboard - 728 x 90" ads (on top/bottom), will they diplay the same or different content ??

thanks again, tayiper

tayiper, May 2, 2006 IP
  5. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Leave it at the default setting and allow Adsense to send you their highest paying ads.

jackburton2006, May 2, 2006 IP
  6. cwvps

cwvps Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    very interesting.

cwvps, May 2, 2006 IP
  7. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, and this time I am just reporting (as a further "update") that my site was luckily accepted yesterday by the AdSense service support-folks ...

But I am curious, does this mean that all the code that is currently on my home-site is OK, even with various banners-ads and even pop-ups (affiliate and traffic-exchange ones) ?? Does this mean that I can keep all of them, except for the FreeFind search (since the "AdSense for Search"option's policy says to not to use it); btw. again, for the link to my site see my DP-forum's "Public Profile".

P.S. -- But anyway, I've decided that even if it's allowed to have those Bravenet's banners, I will rather not use them on the pages with the AdSense code.

thanks, tayiper

tayiper, May 3, 2006 IP
  8. WebFreedom

WebFreedom Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Tayiper,

Some answers to your questions below. :)

Even if you've signed up for AdSense for Search, you don't need to use it on your sites. Setting up your AdSense code for basic ads and search is a separate process.

"Contextual", or "content based" ads are served to your website based on the content on it's pages (as the result of the ad provider spidering your pages). "Non-contextual" ads would be served based on your request to display an ad on a specific subject. Affiliate ads are a good example - if you had a site about, say, skateboards, and signed up as an affiliate with a company that sells skateboards, the ad you would place on your site would be "non-contextual".

Generally speaking, text ads perform better than image ads. This can vary depending on your site, however, so you may want to test both to see which performs best. To answer your second question, the ad blocks you display on your site will always (as far as I know) display different ads, even if they are of the same format.

HTH,
    Sam

WebFreedom, May 4, 2006 IP
  9. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks all once more for further educative replies ...

cheers, tayiper

tayiper, May 4, 2006 IP