1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Running a Directory as a full time Business

Discussion in 'Directories' started by JamieG, Apr 17, 2008.

I'm a student so my interests in directories doesn't pay me any money that I could call a salary and I've often wondered if all directories owners are in the same sitauation as me, or if there are any directory owners who actually own and declare their directory income as a full time occupation? Would I be right that there aren't any directories that could be called a proper business?

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  2. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    any source of revenue is "business" that may need to be declared revenue
    but directories often have near zero traffic and near zero value - at least as long as directories have a PR less than 5. thus as a source of partial or full income while being student - sharing knowledge in a blog definitely may help far more people - thus resulting in much higher revenue than a directory ever could.
    technical blogs or content pages may easily finance your student years if you invest as many hours as those students do who work as taxi drivers or bar tenders or other night time / weekend / vacation - student jobs.

hans, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  3. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I agree with what you say but I'm wanting to know if people actually operate and declare their directories as legitimate business's. Say for example like Yahoo might.

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ANY web site if used to earn money no matter the kind of web site - always is "business" to declare of the country you have residency has such tax laws and does require declaration for INCOME in general. most countries have.
    there never can be a difference in tax law between different kinds of web sites !!

hans, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  5. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think there is probably a lot of regional business directories like yell and a few other British companies for example that do.

I don't know any general web directory owner who's sole buisness is a web directory though. It's too unstable.

mikey1090, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  6. centime

centime Peon

Best Answers:
    I know off quite a few actually, but they , naturally, they don't post here

Note: I said I know off, I do not actually know them personally, mind you, someone had a chat with one off the giants recently

centime, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  7. hecto

hecto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    unless your directory is making good money and is stable its pointless to decare it because you dont make that much...then again it all depends on you.

hecto, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  8. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    I would disagree - I would think botw.org, for example, is an actual business. I would also think some individuals make a living solely off of their websites (of course!), of which most are directories, although the individual that makes a full time living off of ONE directory may be a rare individual indeed.

Artifexus, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  9. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Disagree with what? I asked a question, you can't disagree with a question? :confused:

JamieG, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  10. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    You would be correct. Very few 'players' or proper directory businesses that pay income tax, capital gains or even NI contributions.

Many directories that aren't players like Yell.com, Thompson or Reed Business, usually need to have the directory as a secondary feature for it to make better profits. A stand alone directory is quite pointless these days - 7 or 8 years ago, it may have been a different story, but now - it's not worth the time or effort involved.

The fully loaded portal is the way to go.

Event_King, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  11. tlpretender

tlpretender Guest

Best Answers:
    There are several directories that are run as businesses outright. I have had the pleasure of helping be part of the start of three (all still in operation) and continue to be a co-owner in one. It can be a very good business, but needs to be run properly and lean. While running as a business it can be time-consuming and expensive (taxes, payroll, etc), it is worth the effort in legitimizing your directory.

tlpretender, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  12. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    Sorry. Would you like me to rephrase that?

I was disagreeing with your assertion, posed as a question, that there aren't any directories treated as 'proper businesses.'

That should clarify.

Artifexus, Apr 17, 2008 IP
  13. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Cheers Artifexus, that made it more clear, perhaps I should have rephrased it myself.

Are there any directory owners on here who legitimately run their directories as proper 'business concerns' and all that comes with that burden such as those pointed out by Event_King. Judging from the limited response to the thread I guess my assumption was right, that most don't.

JamieG, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  14. DownUnder

DownUnder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ? Is the directory not producing the $ cantufind ? or do you have another one that you are referencing ? if so do you have a url for it.

DownUnder, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  15. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Read my text, I said "...my interests in directories doesn't pay me any money that I could call a salary..." I didn't they could or couldn't did I. Truth be known I wouldn't tell you either way as that would have nothing to do with you.

Can you try not to detract from the OP please.

JamieG, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  16. rupertValentino

rupertValentino Peon

Best Answers:
    Directories and low revenue, seek elsewhere higher

rupertValentino, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  17. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Ok you claimed your interst in directories did not make you enough money that you could call it a salary, as you have replied, but your response in that you dont say that it could or could not nullifies the question itself.

as to the op i believed it was a good subject matter in regards a directory and making it a profitable venture / income and worth further discussion.

18. Event_King

Event_King Guest

Best Answers:
    DownUnder,

He doesn't have to tell you anything he doesn't want to, neither do I or anyone else. Just accept it and move on.

I reckon over 90% of directories, don't make even enough to cover their hosting fees. Very few make much, although there was one owned by a John Scott, that appears to be popular, but that doesn't mean he makes anything from it. It's called V7n or something.

He recently sold one of his directories off, proof I think that it was operating on a loss. But it doesn't surprise me one bit.

You got to be 'unique' as a directory owner these days and offer something nobody else does! Last year was the year that many long-term directories went bust, they shut down or changed their domains to fool folks etc.

Event_King, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    He was just being nosy Event_King, I'm betting if I asked the same question I wouldn't get the truth back that's if I even got an answer. The original post is whether any directories on here are run as legitimate business, I noticed he ducked answering that question. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Apr 18, 2008 IP
  20. DownUnder

Best Answers:
    Jamie, I think we are on different roads, your opening post claimed that your directory did not produce an income, Not my directory does not produce an an income by my choice.

These are two separate issues, now if by choice you have chosen that to be then that is all well and good, but by your opening statement as it was written then if not by choice then to correct that you would need to look at the reasons why, to do this yes there would be some blanket things that could be looked at, but in the most part each case would have it's own issues or things that could be corrected and hence the question.

which also raised what was a good subject matter and worthy of a topic discussion.

In that i find your rude reply and an implication that i am being nosy as offensive and out of character with my intentions with my reply as implied by you. the intentetion was to discuss probably what most people would find an inter sting topic and no more, but in the aftermath i see your unclear opening post has caused this, but now allows you to flame, and offer rude remarks.