1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Texas Authorities Raid Polygamist Compound(400 kids taken from a polygamist compound)

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by ziya, Apr 7, 2008.

More than 400 children were taken from a polygamist compound in Eldorado, Texas, Monday and placed in state custody as authorities investigate whether one of the kids was an underage bride. On Friday, a 16-year-old girl's claim of sexual abuse led to a raid on the facility. Above, church members gather at their temporary housing Monday.

The dayslong raid on the sprawling compound built by now-jailed polygamist leader Warren Jeffs was sparked by a 16-year-old girl's call to authorities that she was being abused and that girls as young as 14 and 15 were being forced into marriages with much older men.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/more-than-400-kids-taken-from-ranch/20080404201909990001

Who are those Polygamists ? Any one heard of them ?

ziya, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  2. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints or FLDS, they split from the Mormon church and returned to some original teachings of the founder. Search the web if you need more info, there's plenty.

tbarr60, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I am familiar with Warren Jeffs. He was on the FBI most wanted list. They captured him in 2006 and he has been in prison since that time. These people are in a group called "The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." They believe in polygamy. I wouldn't mind that so much if it was done between consenting adults, but that is not how they run it. They force underage girls to marry old men, and threaten them that they better do it or they will go to hell.

Rebecca, Apr 7, 2008 IP
  4. ziya

ziya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    are they related to mormons too ?

ziya, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes. Mormon is a slang term for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. People that are not LDS (outside of the church), oftentimes call them Mormon. One thing to keep in mind is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints does not approve of The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. The fundamentalists have basically twisted the religion. I live in an area with a huge Mormon population, and am right next door to the Mormon temple. I have had to be firm with them that I do not want to convert, but all in all they are very good people.

Rebecca, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  6. Mr_2

Mr_2 Peon

Best Answers:
    well lets put it this way.

if 1 christian do a crime you cant take all christians responsible!

US should respect freedom of speech and freedom of relegion.

Mr_2, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  7. ziya

ziya Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Russian media put a title for this news : " 401 kids taken from mormons "

ziya, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  8. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you have got it the other way around, the fundamentalists as it is obvious by their name live by the original teachings of their religion while LDS has watered down their religion to make it more acceptable and even more important legal in USA. :)

gworld, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  9. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is what get marriage leads to - one extreme to another ...

bogart, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  10. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The watering down was a concession "plural marriages" by the Mormon church in an effort to gain statehood for the Utah territory.

tbarr60, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  11. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not when that religion forces children to marry old men. To support that would be to support paedophilia. You don't support paedophilia, Do you?

stOx, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is one of the mysteries of USA, with all their talks about freedom this and freedom that, they are so uptight about sex. I can't understand what is wrong with polygamy as long as everyone is an adult that a statehood should depend on it. :D

gworld, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  13. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    When I was watching this yesterday, the network interviewer asked one of the state's PR people if the 16 year old girl who made the call was still cooperating. The PR rep basically said the phone call was anonymous and no one had spoken to the girl since the call.

I wonder if they "found her" since then or if they just made her up in the first place.

Does an anonymous phone call warrant the government seizing custody of 400 children? Kind of disturbing.

korr, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  14. Mr_2

Mr_2 Peon

Best Answers:
    i think you missing the point by thinking in a pervert way :rolleyes:

Polygamy can be defined as any "form of marriage in which a person [has] more than one spouse."

We speaking about a whole religion here not a single person.

if one of them done something wrong you cannot send them all to jail or ban the whole religion!
    I don't think all those polygamists abuse children.

Mr_2, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  15. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if there is a reasonable suspicion that children are being harmed sure it does

cientificoloco, Apr 8, 2008 IP
  16. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you read the article. it's probably best to get all the information on something before attempting to form an opinion on what the US should "respect".

stOx, Apr 9, 2008 IP
  17. Mr_2

Mr_2 Peon

Best Answers:
    you run out of idea?! :rolleyes:

btw how many Catholic churches were shut down because of the widespread molestation of kids? :rolleyes:

its more likely some powerful politicians don't like the idea of Polygamism so they wanna destroy or blackmail the whole thing.

Mr_2, Apr 9, 2008 IP
  18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You just realised exactly what it is you were defending?
    Lots. So what? Should that give these people a licence to sexually abuse children?
    I find it very disturbing that you would rather brush the sexual abuse of children under the carpet by fabricating a conspiracy theory than condemn the whole thing as disgusting and sick.

Should the US "respect" (your words) a religious group that sexually abuses children? It's a simple question.

stOx, Apr 9, 2008 IP
  19. Mr_2

Mr_2 Peon

Best Answers:
    so why US gov not closing all catholic churchs too?!!
    because they both do wrong by abusing small innocent children.

but if someone from 1 religion do something wrong you can not call all people from that religion criminal!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

do you have a clue what the word "Polygamy" means!!

I think that answer is enough for you .

Mr_2, Apr 9, 2008 IP
  20. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The catholics who abuse children disgust me as much as anyone who abuses children. I am not here to defend one set of paedophiles over another set of paedophiles like you are. I have no problem condemning ALL child abuse, Something which you are so far unwilling to do. Would you like to explain exactly why you are unwilling to condemn the sexual abuse of children by this religious group?

Nobody did say that.

Yes i know what it means. Do you know what sexual abuse of children means?

I will ask you again, try to find the courage to answer this simple question you coward;
    Should the US "respect" (your words) a religious group that sexually abuses children?

stOx, Apr 9, 2008 IP