1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Way To Learn PHP?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by bad_bob00, Mar 24, 2008.

Hi,

I would like to learn PHP and eventually MySQL. I bought 2 books about the languages but if I'm honest I found them quite boring and hard to follow (although that may be more of a reflection on me then on the books :eek:).

How would you recommend I learn PHP? Simply by playing around with code online? Or is there a particular book or course you recommend?

Thanks for any help

bad_bob00, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  2. Ikki

Ikki Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that the best way to learn it is by practice. Find some online php exercices and try to solve them.

You should also install php. I recommend Xampp for it: includes a web server (Apache, the best one around), PHP, MySql and other stuff. It's easy to install so you don't have to worry about it.

Good luck ;)

Ikki, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  3. trixs

trixs Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I think the above posters advice is good. The only real way to learn is to practice and understand teh key concepts. Once you understand the concepts you can program in any language. All you have to do is look up the correct syntax.

A frined of mine is attempting to learn how to program but is having a hard time because he doesnt want to actually spend the time and learn. You need to start with the most simple program and add to it. Try to create a blackjack game as it can include all aspects of web programming.

-trixs

trixs, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  4. amnesia623

amnesia623 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can try the tutorials on lynda.com. Those have helped me.

also for a good reference try tizag.com they've helped me out a bunch.

amnesia623, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  5. unknowngiver

unknowngiver Peon

Best Answers:
    best way to learn is stick with 1 book! even if its boring...get the basics..once ur done the book start downloading free scripts and looking at the code..try modifying them and then start making small scripts
    but you have to know the basics! and as for anything..basics can be boring

unknowngiver, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  6. Ikki

Ikki Peon

Best Answers:
    He's right: learn the basics, practice a lot. I would use at least 2 books, though :p

Ikki, Mar 24, 2008 IP
  7. Political Monster

Political Monster Peon

Best Answers:
    Practice, learn, read php.net :) w3schools also has some good function reference. Start simple: echo "blah"; etc then progress to forms: $_POST entries, blah blah etc etc, you'll pick it up :)

Political Monster, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  8. Freewebspace

Freewebspace Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just Test (Code) and learn the php,That's the best way to learn PhpFor beginners ,look at www.w3schools.com

If you have any doubts Search in Google or in php.net

For example if you do n't know how to get a referrer in php

Just Search in Google for "Referrer in php"

http://www.google.om/search?hl=en&q=Referrer+in+php&meta=

and visit the results to know how to write a referrer script in php or just copy and paste the code and test it...

That's the way you should learn

Also you can look at php.net to know about more functions

Freewebspace, Mar 24, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  9. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Books and tutorial just bore me and don't help much at all. So read the raw basics at http://tizag.com then download some scripts, or start with simple practice excersises until you get better. Use php.net to search for and learn to use functions as needed, and more importantly I find a tutor is the best way to learn (either on IM or in real life).

blueparukia, Mar 25, 2008 IP
    bad_bob00 likes this.
  10. bad_bob00

bad_bob00 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys for the helpful replies :)

Do these tutors exist online? If so, where could you find them and how much would they charge?

Thanks

bad_bob00, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  11. Jfx

Jfx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well, i learn php by downloading some free scripts and i try to modify and start create the code by myself. if i get in trouble i use google for the answer

Jfx, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  12. starlord

starlord Guest

Best Answers:
    The great god Google ... gotta love it :)

I picked up a PLR ebook called "I hate PHP" which takes you through the basics a while ago ... its not a bad read and I'm sure someone can "google" it and find ... if not PM me and I'll sort it out for you ... you never know I might even find time to post it up somewhere if I could only get away from this board for a while ;)

Starlord

starlord, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  13. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to pay for a class to learn, check out phparch's training: http://www.phparch.com/c/phpa/training.

It's by no means cheap, but their teachers are very good (Mostly Zend core developers), and it is probably the quickest way to jump in.

jestep, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  14. hadriel

hadriel Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to become really good (I mean to get paid to code php) you have to learn the basics of the language from a book, or from an ebook. But after that, when you can read and understand simple code you have to write on your own. Do a site for yourself and add some fancy features like gallery, comments, blog. But don't install, write it. May not be perfect, but will get you some experience.

When you have done something bigger, you can get some freelance projects, but small ones, and you'll get it going.

I learned PHP this way, and I don't think that going to class will do more good, than the first hand experience you'll get by writing on your own.

And at last PHP is easy language.

hadriel, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  15. kmap

kmap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Before you learn php you should be a good notepad html coder

Regards

Alex

kmap, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  16. fattony

fattony Peon

Best Answers:
    i wonder how people remember all the code I have enough trouble remembering href: but I guess thats because I dont do it every day

fattony, Mar 25, 2008 IP
  17. blackthought286

blackthought286 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started off learning by copying and duplicating code. After that I read some php books and websites to understand what I was doing with that code. To move further it depends on how good you want to get. If you want to be real good start to read about programming concepts and how the hardware works. That combination will really help you out when you have to debug larger programs that you may want to create.

blackthought286, Mar 25, 2008 IP