1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best CMS System for 3,000 domains?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by jam937, Mar 18, 2008.

I am looking for a CMS system.

Here are some requirements:
    1. Prefer open source system (but not required)
    2. Prefer a single database for all sites
    3. Each customer must be able to manage their own content
    4. Our web designers must be able to manage any customer's content
    5. Ability to handle up to 5,000 sites (we're growing)
    6. A history/report of changes would be nice (auditing)

My company maintains websites for 3,000 customers. Yes that's 3,000 domains. They are very small sites averging 4-5 pages each and they don't change very often. Combined they generate 1 million page views per month. We are getting ready to recreate (modernize) all the websites. So this is obviously a good time to change our development tools/processes.

Thanks

jam937, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  2. ascetic

ascetic Peon

Best Answers:
    ascetic, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  3. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I also feel DRUPAL (Multisite feature) is the solution.

Suri.CMS, Mar 18, 2008 IP
  4. jam937

jam937 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will check ot out
    thanks

jam937, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  5. Vyoma

Vyoma Peon

Best Answers:
    You can run multiple sites from the same Drupal (open source) installation. Each site should act as an independent one, and since Drupal allows for what is called table name prefixing, all the site's data would reside in the same database. It does have revision control - but not exactly sure what you meant by tracking changes.

As for each customer managing their own content and web designers having access to all the sites, that should be easily done by having appropriate roles and assigning the roles to customers and web designers.

Vyoma, Mar 23, 2008 IP
  6. Paintball Guns

Paintball Guns Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use Wordpress MU for a similar purpose, but I hate it because (1) it seems unstable, (2) most Wordpress plugins don't work properly, (3) it is not scalable, (4) the WPMU community is small, (5) development of WPMU is slow, and (6) I had trouble allowing users to select their own themes.

I have heard Drupal is good, but I have also heard it can be difficult to setup the multisite installation.

There is a similar discussion here.

If there are any other good options, please share them here.

Paintball Guns, Apr 4, 2008 IP
  7. dylanj

dylanj Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.dt.net.nz/?p=2

DT Centrepiece 4 supports this natively. Of course, for 5000 websites or whatever, you wouldn't be using the MS Access database that comes with it xD! If you upsize it, you can have different websites for each user (Up to 65025 websites per database, according to the website). Also, if you only wanted the clients to be able to manage their content and not let them manage users, traffic history etc, you could make an admin account for each one which has full access, and give the client an account which can only edit content.
    Also, it's easy to write an auto-deploy script for it. I could write one for you for free, even.

If you want a really common/popular CMS, try Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla. Joomla is good, but i've heard that it's not very secure... Haven't tried Drupal or Wordpress.

If you want a .Net website, try DotNetNuke - www.dotnetnuke.com. DotNetNuke is good.

dylanj, Apr 14, 2008 IP
  8. Paintball Guns

Paintball Guns Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder what software domainers use to manage all their domains. I'm not talking about the one-page domains. Anyone know?

Paintball Guns, Aug 16, 2008 IP