1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many directories should I submit?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by rahman15, Apr 12, 2006.

Is there any general rule that how many directories should I submit my site? Do you get any penalty for submitting too many directories or this is like more you submit more you gain.

rahman15, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  2. aaron_nimocks

aaron_nimocks Im kind of a big deal Staff

Best Answers:
    Submit to all that you can find!

You dont need to worry about gaining links to quick because its not like your link will get approved on all the directories the same day. Also you wont find enough directories to submit to, to ever make that an issue though.

But ya submit to all you can find, but only if its appropriate for that directory and that it has a category that fits your site.

aaron_nimocks, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  3. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    As a rule of thumb I would think more in terms of, how many "quality" directories should I submit to? Remember, more often than not, a few high quality links/listings is better than a lot of low quality ones.

There are several people here with directory lists showing both paid and free, as well as PR that each has. Find a good list, or someone that submits to directories, and give it a shot.

I know Gtech does directory listing and has done wonders for me.

Mia, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  4. kausik

kausik Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no such rules. People submit to directories to get backlinks. Get as many as backlinks from directories.

kausik, Apr 12, 2006 IP
  5. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Kausik but there are like so many directory sites what are the chances that someone will find your site out of so many categories, so i wonder is it really worth spending time submitting sites to directories?

paidhosting, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  6. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    do you think that people would visit directories, and then click on sites, instead of using search engines? as far as i know, the answer is no. Directories would help you to boost your rankings in search engines. Just dont worry about directories, submit as many as you can. There is no harm in submitting to directories in later time, it will pay you off. i also heard someone saying that any directory with PR0 might jump to PR4+ in due course of time.

olddocks, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  7. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    The more links the better, but a good solid themed link from a themed directory or site can be a thousand times more valuable (literally) than a link on some dynamic link page on a general directory smack dab in the midldle of nowhere on the web.

donttrustthisposter, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    That is correct i believe. Recent google update was a good for any directory sites, almost most of their rank increased from pr0 to pr4 to pr6 without much advertising either.

It seems like google favours directories.

And so what you mean was that google spiders will pick up the link from any directory as backlink ?

9. coolweb

coolweb Notable Member

Best Answers:
    More submission in relevant category (best fit category for your site) will result in link popularity of your site among search engines. Promotional process is unlimited, it never ends :)

coolweb, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  10. cldnails

cldnails Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot of good advice here. I submitted to as many directories as I could get my hot little hands on and I've not suffered at all, at least that I can tell. In fact, a few of the directories are producing good traffic as well, which is really important.

Since the last crazy google update I would consider traffic more important than a directories PR. For some reason there are a lot of new Directory sites popping up with PR5/6, that are basically new with few backlinks. I would be weary of paying for a directory submission based on PR alone.

cldnails, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  11. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Well its better to make a banner and submit it to high pr site instead of paying for directories, who has time to look at directories when google search is faster?

12. LucasMS

LucasMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should submit to all directories you find!

LucasMS, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  13. bluesky

bluesky Banned

Best Answers:
    Submit to all directories you find. The more the better.:)
    However, it is best to submit your site to a relevant category.

bluesky, Apr 13, 2006 IP
  14. hmc

hmc Peon

Best Answers:
    if your directory is a niche related, try to submit or link exchange with sites from your niche.

and of course dmoz and other top dirs must be submitted.

hmc, Apr 14, 2006 IP
  15. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everyone is saying, submit to them all. But there have been directories I have regretted submitting to: those with a 302 redirect.

This can mess up your Google listing as long as Google has issues with this kind of link, if you haven't taken steps first to protect your site. You could end up with reduced PR and another site's pages appearing as though they are part of your own website.

So I would qualify that: submit to all the directories you can find that offer clean, no-nonsense links.

Obelia, Apr 15, 2006 IP
  16. anjanesh

anjanesh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Choosing the right submission sites is a tedious task - check the PR and Alexa Rank and check for how long the site has been up. If contains too many ads then I wouldnt submit because I would think it as a ad spam site. A clean site would always fetch better results.

anjanesh, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  17. kashem

kashem Banned

Best Answers:
    every link counts. but quality link has some intrinsic value.

consider the following facts to submit

Static Text Links
    The Age of the Directory
    Cache and Sub-Pages
    Directories Search Results (in Google, Yahoo! and MSN)
    Rankings for specific topics
    Quality of sites listed
    Quality of backlinks
    The directories goals
    Keywords permitted
    Search Engine Friendliness
    Relevance to your site

kashem, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  18. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Also, I found when I was submitting my site to web directories that there were about only 2 in every 5 that actually looked at my submissions and approved them.

john269, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  19. CCD

CCD Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems I could spend my entire life submitting to directories - there are so many, even when only considering PR4 or higher!?

Any tips on how often, how many to build a sites rank at a resonable pace?

CCD, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  20. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is hard to quickerly build your sites PR but some sites do it within a few months and when they build their PR they really do it with style.

In other words, one day their site could be launch and about 5 months down the line they could be having over 100,000 uniques a day and have thousands of back links.

The one to do this is that you have to creat some sort of automated backlinking effect.

Sites that give out free online games that webmasters can add to their sites do this alot as games spread like wild fire.

john269, Apr 17, 2006 IP