1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

ebay And Paypal Fraud Alert

Discussion in 'General Business' started by royalweb, Mar 6, 2008.

Just wanted to bring it to everyones attention how creative people are getting... I have never been the victim of online fraud.

I listed a $2,000 item on ebay, a UK account purchased it with BIN. I get a fake ebay payment notice, a fake paypal payment notice (which looked very real!) Then within 30 mins I get an email from paypal and ebay saying the account was hijacked.

Then I get a personal email saying they purchased the item for their wife in Nigeria and they are away on business so they want me to ship to Nigeria. (I was laughing my head off!)

So i decided to play along with this fraudster. They are emailing me warnings from ebay and paypal for not shipping the item and even emailing me directly with contact information telling me to call and verify.

So I did call them today and played along.... They are telling me they will give me whatever I need they want it shipped etc etc.

Anyways, Just wanted to share this story... I found it funny... BUT I can see why people get sucked into this type of fraud when they give you everything to verify...

royalweb, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  2. perryd

perryd Peon

Best Answers:
    This sort of fraud we can spot.

Once, I got one that comes from real paypal payment. I see the countries sending to are different, so I ask paypal, paypal said is valid. But I decide to cancel. 2 days later, I got another email from the account owner saying her account has been used by fraudster. Now that's scary

perryd, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  3. hardip2057

hardip2057 Banned

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks Mates to share....:)

hardip2057, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  4. royalweb

royalweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi Guys... Here is a follow up to my original post... This person keeps on going with this.. it amazes me!

Check out this fake email they sent.

------------------

Dear Valued Customer,

One of the benefits of using PayPal is that we make every effort to alert you to potentially problematic transactions. Our goal is to help you make sound business decisions.

A review of recent transactions indicates that you entered into bidding agreement with Natalie Fiddler (8913nt) by requesting money through PayPal, which shows that the PayPal account holder have authorized the payment you received.

We would like to learn more about this transaction. It is important we know the status of the item bought concerning the information we requested from you, otherwise, legal action may be taken against you since you have not replied to the confirmation of payment made to your account by Natalie Fiddler (8913nt) over time.

However the buyer has already contacted us in other to make report about your non response. We are ensuring to make PayPal a safer place, therefore we need to set confidence on our users. We use proprietary technology - and constantly innovation - to help ensure every transactions are safe.

We strongly advise that you to ship the item and send the Scanned Receipt and the Tracking Number to proof postage of the item in less than 24hours so that we can fund the money into your account or face the consequences of LEGAL ACTION.

We have placed a temporary hold on the funds until the verification is complete.

-----------------------------------
    Transaction Details
    -----------------------------------

Buyer eBay id: 8913nt
    Case Number: PP-304-718-247
    Buyer's Name: Natalie Fiddler

Buyer's Email:
    Response deadline: 03/07/2008

Sincerely,
    PayPal Fraud Team

royalweb, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  5. D_C

D_C Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the english used in the email wasn't enough to let you know its fraud I don't know what is.

D_C, Mar 7, 2008 IP
  6. dmbjrjr

dmbjrjr Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. English isn't perfect in that email.

dmbjrjr, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  7. calande

calande Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, last year, some one ordered a digital product of mine, he paid using Paypal, I sent him the zipped files by email. One week later, I got an official email from Paypal saying that I should refund the person because I didn't send him the product. I went to his web site and he was using my product as expected. I had to refund him to avoid account suspension. Incredible how some people can be evil...

calande, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  8. royalweb

royalweb Guest

Best Answers:
    I knew it was a fraud from day one, I am just posting the info for public notice.

royalweb, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  9. chris265

chris265 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like same scam they have done for years now

chris265, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  10. Hannah

Hannah Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, if anyone doesn't run away as soon as the word "Nigeria" appears in any sort of online transaction, well...

Hannah, Mar 8, 2008 IP
  11. Kwaku

Kwaku Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It was said above already, but the one thing that is the same for *all* fraud mails; the English used is bad. Paypal has standard mails for this which are checked by 1000 departments for legal validity, language etc. They will not send you a mail with misspelled words, sentences etc. The scammers are usually african, indian or something and their language is horrible; the sentence constructions are total crap.

Ofcourse, you should always check the urls in the mail and the From: address to see if it is valid. It also never is, so all these 'scams' are very easy to detect and they are targetted at non computer savvy noobs who actually fall for them.

Kwaku, Mar 9, 2008 IP
  12. royalweb

royalweb Guest

Best Answers:
    2 Weeks and they finally gave up! Man these guys are messed up.. Anyways - be careful out there..

royalweb, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  13. VN-Ken

VN-Ken Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a similar story. Listed a $500+ item on ebay and had the buy it now option for it. Someone commited to buy and sent a fake e-mail appearing from PayPal saying that payment has been received (as if I could not login to comfirm that payment is actually in the account dumb*** fraudster) I too decided to play along.

Its funny because a week prior to this, I was watching a special on MSNBC where they listed an item, and tracked the package (on the ground themselves) to see who would pick it up and attempt to interview them. Kinda ridiculous how countries do nothing to prevent these things.

VN-Ken, Mar 10, 2008 IP
  14. royalweb

royalweb Guest

Best Answers:
    DO you know a link to view that MSNBC video online? It would be interesting to watch.

royalweb, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  15. Scoty

Scoty Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol I got a fraud email earlier today..
    It appears to be from PayPal however it was in my spam folder and reply-to adress is
    Also the link in the thread being pay.pal etc
    Anyway here it is:p
    ----------------------
    Dear PayPal ® customer,

We recently reviewed your account, and we suspect an unauthorized transaction on your account.
    Protecting your account is our primary concern. As a preventive measure we have temporary limited your access to sensitive information.
    Paypal features.To ensure that your account is not compromised, simply hit "Resolution Center" to confirm your identity as member of Paypal.

* Login to your Paypal with your Paypal username and password.
    * Confirm your identity as a card memeber of Paypal.

Please confirm account information by clicking here Resolution Center and complete the "Steps to Remove Limitations."

*Please do not reply to this message. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

Copyright © 1999-2007 PayPal. All rights reserved.

Scoty, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  16. infopage

infopage Peon

Best Answers:
    I got similar emails that also looked real from PayPal and eBay and it made me leary of selling on ebay...someone needs to put out a free report on how to tell who's real and what to do to stop it from happening.

infopage, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  17. simran_roses

simran_roses Banned

Best Answers:
    It is very easy to detect paypal fraud email as because all the time I check the name what it says after dear let's say fraud email always starts with "Dear Paypal Customer" or something similar but where original emails will show your paypal account name instead.

simran_roses, Mar 11, 2008 IP
  18. pcmasterz.com

pcmasterz.com Banned

Best Answers:
    hahaha
    just getting same things
    got fake mails from ebay and paypal
    and notice to send IPHONE to nigeria to his wife
    lol

pcmasterz.com, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  19. nuruddeen710

nuruddeen710 Peon

Best Answers:
    Whats wrong with some of the those people from nigeria.. a lot of fraud came from that particular country giving the country a bad name. I pity those from nigeria who's honest and doing business the right way.

nuruddeen710, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  20. dhana_space1

dhana_space1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes true in many of the Fraud mails, you can find Nigeria. But anyone can send a Email from any country with Nigeria address. :)
    Not sure, but there is a possibility.

dhana_space1, Mar 21, 2008 IP