1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bill Gates Links Up With LinkedIn

Discussion in 'Bing' started by neoanderson.1987, Feb 29, 2008.

Microsoft Corp.'s big bet on Facebook's online social network isn't stopping Chairman Bill Gates from promoting other popular Internet hangouts.

Gates is helping out LinkedIn Corp.'s online professional network by setting up a profile on the service and posing a question to help draw more attention to a makeover of the Web site's front page.

The question, scheduled to be posted Thursday, will solicit suggestions on the best way to encourage more young people to pursue careers in science and technology.

Meanwhile, LinkedIn will encourage its 19 million members to try out a new tool that will let them broadcast their daily activities to their connections. The ''status'' feature copies one of the top applications on Facebook's site, which revolves around a more playful premise than LinkedIn's buttoned-down atmosphere.

Gates plans to use LinkedIn's status feature, although he decided against listing ''trying to buy Yahoo'' as his current activity. He instead will start off by letting everyone know ''Bill is checking out LinkedIn.''

The decision to take a closer look at LinkedIn might please a few industry analysts who have argued Microsoft would be better off buying several up-and-coming Internet startups like LinkedIn instead of pursuing its current bid to acquire slumping Yahoo Inc. for more than $40 billion.

Although LinkedIn is frequently mentioned as an attractive takeover candidate, the Mountain View-based company so far has indicated it is more likely to make an initial public offering of stock during the next year or two. LinkedIn spokeswoman Kay Luo declined to comment on Microsoft's possible interest.

Microsoft late last year invested $240 million for a 1.6 percent stake in Palo Alto-based Facebook Inc., whose 66 million members make it the Internet's second largest social network behind News Corp.'s MySpace.

Gates is among Facebook members, although he reportedly stopped using the site recently because he was tired of sifting through the thousands of requests from requests from strangers who wanted to befriend him. Microsoft declined to comment Wednesday about Gates' status on Facebook.

LinkedIn offers privacy controls that will enable Gates to block requests to connect with him on the network.

Gates probably will want to use that tool because LinkedIn members have a keen interest in the billionaire. Even before he set up his LinkedIn profile, Gates was the most searched person on the site, edging out Democratic presidential candidates Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.:D

Source: http://www.tech2.com/india/news/internet/bill-gates-links-up-with-linkedin/30131/0

neoanderson.1987, Feb 29, 2008 IP
  2. kewlchat

kewlchat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wow cool i didn't know that thanks :)

kewlchat, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  3. Claudek

Claudek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To be honest, Linkedin is much better in what it is supposed to do. I had looked at Facebook for networking (especially with ex-workmates) and the privacy is terrible. I do NOT want to know minute details of what a friend on Facebok is doing or them knowing what I am doing.

Did see the Bill Gates question line when I logged in. The celebrity awareness thing looks similar to what Yahoo Answers has been doing.

Claudek, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  4. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe Linkedin is WAY better then both Face and Mypsace..
    Its just like a chain in my eyes

MySpace then came FaceBook and now Linkedin

as we move up the chain, they just get better :D

Dreads, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  5. User_Online

User_Online Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think the question should be the dumbest thing I did at Microsoft. Answer, Not buy Google when I had the chance in 2000. For Ballmer, Make a hostile bid for washed up Yahoo.

User_Online, Mar 1, 2008 IP