1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does backlinking work?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by froghat, Apr 6, 2006.

Hey guys, I keep hearing backlinking and adding your website to these free directories works but does it really? I see plenty of blogs with links to other blogs and as a person viewing the page I always ignore them. What are you guys thoughts are these 2 things? Have you done well using them and if so please go into detail. Thanks!

froghat, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  2. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of us use backlinks to help get our sites at the top of the search engine rankings for our target keywords.

Each backlink you get helps your site a little bit further up the rankings.

mad4, Apr 6, 2006 IP
  3. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes but directories are bad...

ash1, Apr 9, 2006 IP
  4. sarikamosaic

sarikamosaic Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, this is one of the best way to syndicate the content for your website.

sarikamosaic, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  5. steadymarvin

steadymarvin Peon

Best Answers:
    Are they? Why?

steadymarvin, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  6. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is the most useless and totally untrue comment I have read this week. If you are going to say something is bad please at least try and justify it!

mad4, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  7. webbom

webbom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinking is one of the most important parts of any seo strategy.

webbom, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  8. Eric007

Eric007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlinks work especially when you have good links. Look at it this way, a backlink is an open door to your site. Some door will be bigger and some smaller... but they still connect to your site.

Eric007, Apr 10, 2006 IP
  9. The Rock

The Rock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so:cool: If yes then why the Directory Submission Service is more popular in DP Services Section

Rock:)

The Rock, Apr 16, 2006 IP
  10. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Search Engines such as Google put a lot of emphasis on relationships and part of the determination of your page rank is from the number of backlinks you get from others.

Say you are a site, you submit your links to 100 directories and they all accept your links. You will have 100 backlinks from these sites. If you do not provide a link back to those directories, technically it will not harm your 'popularity' since this is what is called one-way links.

Okay now put yourself on the other end as the directory site. If no one places a link back to the directory, it will have not backlinks and that will affect their ratings.

However, as I said before, the pagerank is a guage of relationships between you and the site you link back to. It is like if you scratch my back, I will scratch yours. Say if you get 100 backlinks from directories, you will go up in the page ranking and if you at the same time provides a link back to the directory, it would get a quality link from you. The site with the most backlinks will get higher up in the Google Page Rank scale and can provide quality link backs to the sites it is linking to.

Unlike a normal site, directories have the capacity of receiving almost an unlimited number of link entries and if a majority link back to them, their page rank would go up. If you link to that directory, it will also help in your page ranks.

The issue about page ranks from my previous thread here is not about human traffic but getting higher up in the scale when someone puts a keyword search in google. The more backlinks you have, the more important you are and thus the higher priority you get to be listed on the top of the search instead of being somewhere at the 100th page.

Of course if you are just looking at human traffic then you do linking to whichever site which is relevant to you and will give you the necessary traffic.

eddy2099, Apr 17, 2006 IP
  11. dknipschield@yahoo.com

dknipschield@yahoo.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I think directories work. I have made and sold many websites. linking anywere and everywhere. works great.

(http://www.imern.com)

dknipschield@yahoo.com, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  12. exchangeis

exchangeis Peon

Best Answers:
    Directorys most deffieatly work, but they are not the be all and end all they have to be combined with other marketing methods such as traditional Link building with blogs and websites with similar content, as well as social networking submission.

exchangeis, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  13. Mrs. Sinner

Mrs. Sinner Peon

Best Answers:
    For building links that will get clicked and actually bring human traffic, you want to find sites that are similar to yours, especially if your sites compliment eachother and add something else along the same lines that suits the visitors needs. For instance, if your run a website that sells postage stamps, you would likely get alot of clicks if you could get a link to your site on a webpage that sells envelopes.

Mrs. Sinner, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  14. thefandango

thefandango Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes backlinking works .... I can guarantee it !

thefandango, Jun 11, 2009 IP
  15. SeBrantigan

SeBrantigan Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlink building is probably more than 3/4 of SEO for any website. My blogs would barely be in any search engine if I didn't have any backlinks to my blogs.

SeBrantigan, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  16. staceywds

staceywds Guest

Best Answers:
    i think you also gotta see WHICH directory u're leaving backlinks

staceywds, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  17. CaptainKay

CaptainKay Guest

Best Answers:
    What are the best strategies to get backlinks? For example, with blogs and forums? What should you do when you sign up to then to get backlinks to your site... thank you :)

CaptainKay, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  18. Norrad

Norrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It helps, but you should try and get one-way links back to your site. The search engines seem to prefer them and it helps with your pagerank.

Norrad, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  19. mammut

mammut Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think directories work, but not as good as high PR sites where there isn't that many links.

mammut, Jun 12, 2009 IP
  20. ramprop11

ramprop11 Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlinks are one of the most important aspect in getting high SE rankings top 10 position

ramprop11, Jun 12, 2009 IP