1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

vBulletin Alternatives

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by nevetS, Jan 2, 2005.

I posted the phpBB vs. vBulletin thread not too far back. Those are really the two that I've used extensively. I've used phorum, but I don't know if I'd put it on a heavy traffic site.

What alternatives would you recommend? Or is vBulletin the one?

nevetS, Jan 2, 2005 IP
    nOR likes this.
  2. Refrozen

Refrozen Peon

Best Answers:
    IPB.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again:
    I don't feel like posting on vB forums unless they are really good, IPB just makes you want to post, want to participate.

Note, this is my opinion, also, IANAL. :D

Refrozen, Jan 2, 2005 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  3. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Hadn't seen IPB. On the surface, looks similar to phpBB and vBulletin. What about it makes you want to post/participate? Not giving you a hard time, just don't see much of an end user difference right off the bat.

nevetS, Jan 2, 2005 IP
  4. blueuniverse

blueuniverse Guest

Best Answers:
    To be honest it is the same for me, I won't post on anything other than vBulletin unless they are really good.

However there is a free board which I may consider now IPB is paid. (I will never use PHPBB anymore, too many vulnerabilities.) That board is http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php and mainly because I've heard just good things about it. It appears to be the best free option around at the moment. I haven't tried it yet though, but I will when I get the time.

blueuniverse, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  5. tony84

tony84 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wowbb.com never used it but looks ok

tony84, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  6. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont like vBuliten, same as others have said, it has to be a really good forum for me to want to post on it.

I far prefer phpBB.. the new 2.2 version thats going to be coming out soon is awesome.

Josh

Josh, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  7. makumba

makumba Guest

Best Answers:
    ubb is also quite popular.

makumba, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  8. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    so what is it that you don't like about vBulletin? Slowness? Look and feel? Big giant vbulletin name? The format / layout?

UBB seems pretty fast from what I have seen. I've never really paid a lot of attention to what software a board uses before posting.

nevetS, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  9. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    there is a new one.... ill find the link.. its really fricking nice but its opensource

Shoemoney, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  10. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Another promising free forum is http://ekinboard.com/ -- its still in its very early versions.. but it looks nice so far.

Josh

Josh, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  11. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    For those who aren't keen on vBulletin can you tell a bit more about the cause of your dissatisfaction? Is it the price? Is it the product? Is it the service? ...or is it something else?

ResaleBroker, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  12. makumba

makumba Guest

Best Answers:
    haha.. That sounds like the fact that it's opensource is it's big drawback :)
    Do we wan't to start open source vs. closed source flame war ?? :p

makumba, Jul 17, 2005 IP
  13. pwaring

pwaring Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know the one thing that stops me using vBulletin on more sites than I do now is the license fee - I just can't afford (or justify) $85 for sites that aren't being run for a profit.

As for alternatives, there's miniBB, punBB, phpBB (although I avoid that based on its poor security record and arrogant developers) or even possibly bbPress. None of them seem to have any many features as vBulletin but I've never needed to use all the fancy extras anyway.

The one thing I will say in favour of vB is that it makes an admin's life a lot easier - the control panel is better than any other forum I've seen. It's not really worth the money though from my point of view.

pwaring, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  14. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I don't like the price as well. I have a bunch of small sites that I have forums on just for general tech support about the site or whatever, and I don't want to spend $85 for that :)

Josh

Josh, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  15. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:

No war at all.. its just a disclaimer.. I use tons of opensource. Its awesome and is great for learning how to code since you will have to fix most of the apps you get (cheap shot)

Shoemoney, Jul 18, 2005 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Just a bit of a bump. Have been looking at Phorum over at www.opensourcecms.com and thought it looked good. I liked Vanilla too but I think it's still got a way to go. I need it for a community based forum which will be low traffic and probably shortlived.

nevetS - what did you decide in the end?
    Shoemoney - what was the forum you thought looked promising?

thanks, Sarah

sarahk, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  17. aqi32

aqi32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i use ipb, always have and am more than happy with it, does well under heavy traffic!

another one i've seen raved about is http://www.simplemachines.org/ haven't played with it for a while but when i did i wasn't overly impressed with it

aqi32, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  18. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    Ultimately, I chose vBulletin. I really like it, though I haven't gotten mine to the point where it's ready to go. I have big plans, but I've been working very slow for a while now.

vB seems to offer the best set of features IMO, but what I discovered was that 90% of the decision is a matter of personal preference. phpBB scared me away for two reasons - Security History and upgradeability once you are customized. vB's new plugin system, coupled with AJAX I would say are the two features that really won me over.

nevetS, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  19. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    For better or worse I needed to make a quick decision and have something up and tweaked quickly.

All in all the tweaking probably took as long as if I'd been trawling through the endless vB options trying to find the solution.

So www.sh20extension.com is up using Phorum and it seems good so far. It's a local, political forum.

sarahk, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  20. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    Whatever you do stay away from phpbb2 ;)

Trust me on that one

Shoemoney, Mar 4, 2006 IP