1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Has anyone used a pseudonym when submitting articles to article sites?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by webtarded, Feb 7, 2008.

I just read through the thread with the huge list of article sites to submit your content. I was wondering if anyone has used a fake name for the article author? The reason i ask is that i have a few articles that i'd like to submit, but due to my current employer, I don't want my real name associated with them. There is nothing inherently wrong with them, i.e. obscene, illegal, trade secrets, etc, i just don't want to draw any unneeded attention from certain people. So, has anyone submitted stuff with a fake name, and if so how does that affect the copyright of the material?

Not sure if this is the proper place for this thread, but the closest i could find.

webtarded, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  2. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Stephen King used a pen name. I'm sure plenty of writers do.

webgal, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  3. webtarded

webtarded Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply! I know there are writers that do, I was just wondering whether it's a common practice on the internet. It doesn't seem like there'd be any recourse if someone ripped the content off.

Maybe i'm worrying too much about that. The articles I'd like to submit relate to a mildly popular niche, nothing mainstream. I'm probably over analyzing again.

webtarded, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  4. vithca

vithca Guest

Best Answers:
    It's very common practice for a number of reasons.

To maintain privacy. You don't neccesarily want your employer or your competitors know what you are doing.

For tracking. If I'm starting a new site I will try and find a pen-name that returns zero searches (in quotes). This way I can track the distribution of articles. I know that every mention of my new name will be my article.

You will probably write articles in different niches. If one set of articles is about dog grooming (or whatever) you may want to be seen as an expert in that field. Writing a set of articles about SEO and another set about fishing will weaken your brand.

As far as copyright goes, legally you still maintain this, as does every published author who has used a pen name. Realistically, once it's out on the internet, you can wave goodbye to your rights. It will be copied whether you like it or not.

vithca, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  5. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been using pseudo names for article marketing for years. :)

marketjunction, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  6. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, Batman does it. What a great role model.

webgal, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  7. konradbraun

konradbraun Peon

Best Answers:
    yup... everyone does it. I have done it!

konradbraun, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  8. DHGate-Reality

DHGate-Reality Peon

Best Answers:
    I always do, exactly to keep my privacy intact. I dont want employers etc to look up my name and find the erotic stories I've written over time.. just kidding, but still :D

DHGate-Reality, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  9. Power_Writer

Power_Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    If you still want to get personal "credit," but don't want them to come up in searches, you could try a variation of your own name that someone wouldn't necessarily search for, but you could still link to the article as an example of your work when and if you wanted.

For example, if your name is Thomas Deeblebaum, you could submit articles under T. Deeblebaum or T.J. Deeblebaum...you get the idea.

If you don't care, pick whatever name you want. I suggest Thomas Deeblebaum.

Power_Writer, Feb 7, 2008 IP
  10. brettly

brettly Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it's alright,as long as it doesn't link back to a website with your real name all over it.

brettly, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  11. joshuaadams

joshuaadams Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice term... pseudonym... haha... ^_^

joshuaadams, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  12. mr_jinsue

mr_jinsue Banned

Best Answers:
    I only ever use my real name on the internet with friends who I have actually met or when something is dealing with secure money.
    All sites, forms and submissions are under a pseudo name. Calling it a 'fake' name doesn't seem quite right to me either because it makes it sound wrong, but everyone does it. So much so that its at the point now that if someone's username on this forum was a plausible real life name you would suspect otherwise automatically because almost no one does it.

If your good at online recon it can be scary just how much can be known about a username used regularly.

Cheers

mr_jinsue, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  13. DHGate-Reality

DHGate-Reality Peon

Best Answers:
    http://www.fakenamegenerator.com/

Great site, generates both credit card number, address, phone number and name, fully for free. Very, very useful.

DHGate-Reality, Feb 8, 2008 IP
  14. webtarded

webtarded Peon

Best Answers:
    Coming soon to an article near you--Sir Thomas Deeblebaum-Cruise, Esq.

:D

webtarded, Feb 11, 2008 IP
  15. nick2007

nick2007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've done it too.

nick2007, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  16. geckoguy

geckoguy Peon

Best Answers:
    i do this for my site, i prefer it as opposed to my realname.

geckoguy, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  17. iplunge

iplunge Peon

Best Answers:
    You own copyright over articles under your pen name. Who says you don't?

Pseudonyms are great for people who hate their real names. And someone has mentioned, pen name is also a tool for branding, just like actors and actresses do have screen names.

For instance, your field is astrology, does the name James Rutgers sound like a person who knows that the Cancer sign is not a disease? Sir Thomas Devaugn -- more likely.

iplunge, Feb 12, 2008 IP
  18. ScottBannon

ScottBannon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've found from my experience with Content Caboodle that the majority of article writers seem to be using pseudonyms.

I imagine it's most useful especially to those submitting articles for marketing purposes since Internet marketers are known to create different identities for each field they enter. Which makes sense since "Larry" probably won't get the same response with readers as "Heather" would if the topic is beauty cream. LOL

ScottBannon, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  19. Power_Writer

Power_Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    Only if I can be Lady Marion Deeblebaum the Third.

Power_Writer, Feb 22, 2008 IP