1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Directory Rate - DR Update - February 08

Discussion in 'Directories' started by wayner, Feb 6, 2008.

Its that time again,

Once more, for those that are interested, the DR strength scores on Directory Rate have been updated for February.

As previously requested by several users, we have now included a nice AJAX driven search feature to help directory owners quickly and easily find their own directory in our lists, you'll find it on the home page, just type in your directories URL and select it from the list that appears.

www.directoryrate.com

Many thanks for everyones support with this project so far.

Phil

wayner, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  2. MeetHere

MeetHere Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Congrats again to Dirjournal.. :cool:

Thanks for your continuous updated list :)

MeetHere, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  3. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    5.6 for ZD and 6.9 for ZL. Seems even after gaining PR4 and PR3 I still fail to make the top list. Shame.

mikey1090, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  4. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    aspidov, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  5. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    I am to not understand what Directory Rate is so did check top position. Why is a site with so few links within it be felt to be so important? You are to be saying this

I am to see hundreds or thousands of directories to be more stronger than this so am thinking this is fake attempt to make something bigger than it is to be real again.

What is this poo?

If this is to be so honest please be telling peoples why you are to be thinking a empty directory is to be of importance? Fools will believe this stupid stuff and is making mockery of directory industry. Your algorythm is sure not to be calculated scientifically but by baby with abacus for it is as useful as this.

I am not to even apologise to be brutal I am to sit back past week to read on facts with peoples here and many on this forums are to be causing directory industry to implode with creation of rubbish like this. Some peoples must be needing to stand up to this rubbish.

DR must surely mean Dodgy ratings?

Jaboora, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  6. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd have to agree. Too much importance is given to statistical data and too little given to content, editorial integrity etc which is one of the vital factors in quality directories.

7. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Well... i must agree

We have invested a good bit in Biz-King Directory and Sleek Directory and doubt
    that a "new directory" would so easily beat them....

But i like the site and i appreciate the referrals it sends us ;)

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  8. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It would be interesting to see where Yahoo or DMOZ rank on the list. Just for fun...

swedal, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  9. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure which one is the new directory your talking about....

@Jaboora... just because a directory doesn't contain a thousand links doesn't mean that it is unimportant. From a directory submitters point of view the more a directory is promoted the more benefit their is for them submitting and filling up said directory.

I am not defending his algo because I don't know how it works, but having been working on my own algo for Bidilicious over the past week I can tell you that they are very complex when trying to take into account all of the small details and trying to ensure that it is fair and honest to everyone concerned. You seem to be looking at it from a single viewpoint.

@mikey... would it not be considered editorial integrity if a new directory is started and is "empty" because it is rejecting the crap?

How do you think someone like me could develop an algo that puts more emphasis on content? Apply a word count / page ratio based system.... would be interested on your thoughts on that for my project.

@malcolm.... bah, I've been sayin that to Google for years :p

Just playing devil's advocate is all....

PS: I made top 50, not sure how as I don't think Directory Share is at that level yet.

SilkySmooth, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  10. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    Sure to be you could not defend so called 'algorythm', they are most likely to be 'This site will go here because I am liking the owner' this site I am to like a little less'. It is to be frustrating when people say 'From a directory submittors point of view'. This is to be clear a little group of peoples trying to sadly promote themselves in some kind of elevated level they are not belonging in.

However you are to be dressing your viewpoint the fact is DR to be this is load of nonsense and peoples know it. DR strenght 9 out of 10 for being pretty template? Ooooooooooookay. :rolleyes: This is to make Google PR look positively perfect.

Jaboora, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Every time I read one of your god damn posts, the ONLY thing that honestly comes to my mind is:

[​IMG]

an0n, Feb 6, 2008 IP
    Jaboora likes this.
  12. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This has to be the best thing I have read on dp in quite a while. Made me laugh out loud. :D

swedal, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  13. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    LoL, me too :D

Seriously, Jaboora you dont know jack about his algorithm you have taken one look at his site and determined for yourself that it's junk. You have done no research into the background of his project, how it started, the questions that have been asked nor the answers Phil has provided.

Coming into a thread the way you have and insulting someone with unfounded accusations just shows your lack of professionalism.

14. Artifexus

Artifexus Guest

Best Answers:
    Ditto. :D

That's his signature style. Expect it whenever you see a post from him...

Artifexus, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  15. Jaboora

Jaboora Banned

Best Answers:
    But it is to show you at least are reading my posts.

It is also the case every time I am to be reading your posts I am to think there is that knowing it all person who knows nothing. I am so sad for I am to lose wager on you, I was to be told by peoples on p.m that you would soon come to shout mouth like big man hiding behind monitor but I was to say no you were not to be such.

I am not to use foul mouth like you, this is for people of low level who play monkey for nut throwers.

Is it to be true that you are to be so good at everything that you can turn cow dung into gold? :rolleyes:

@silkysmooth; What algorythm? Let me to explain. I am to look at all directories on this page to determine value and to find none. What is to be for dmoz? 3000 out of 10? For if it is to be some site on this DR are worthy of 9 points or more then this is to be genuine comparison.

Jaboora, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  16. SilkySmooth

Best Answers:
    Ok so your basis for stating that DR is "poo", "nonsense" and whatever else you come up with is because you compared the sites listed to dmoz? I aint even gonna bother wasting my time explaining how wrong you are. You have no idea how to research a directory and determine it's value on any criteria, period.

17. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    hahaha I got a real kick out of this one....

Pay attention to be the question, because to be the answer is to be the question. duh!

[​IMG]

an0n, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  18. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im starting to think theres something in water around here :D

I guess in the end it doesn't matter what the algo is as long as it works then kudos...
    though i still think sleek and king should be up their with the rest :p

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  19. greatlogix

greatlogix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi phil, Pakadtrader.com have DR 5.2 but it is not listed on your site :confused: :(

greatlogix, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  20. mikey1090

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    @silky, I would be manually reviewing many directories. Give them 0.0-1.0 score for their design. Then give them 0.0 - 1.0 for their content.

This was you wont get a public category dump with a PR6 sitting at the top of your algo.