1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Status PENDINGDELETE, any advice?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by thewindmaster, Mar 24, 2006.

I have a great idea for a unique website. The perfect .com domain name is in PENDINGDELETE status.

Does anyone know exactly what this means?

I found this definition:

But the registry information says it expired way more than 5 days ago:

Created: 2005-02-13
    Expires: 2006-02-13

Backorder is available and I am willing to pay the extra amount to ensure the domain name but I do not want to fork up $20 and not get it.

Is it a very attractive two word .com that I would think many people might be interested in. Very similar names (those with the same second word but different first words) are for sale right now between $250 and $800, and frankly many are not as attractive in my opinion.

My question is base on the registrar info, if I backorder this domain, will I get it and when?

Any advice will be rewarded with rep.

thewindmaster, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  2. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    From experience you could be waiting for some time :(

I'm in the same boat as you, mine is Expiration Date: 21-jan-2006

Still waiting.

From past examples you can wait 3 months ~.

Furthermore you MUST backorder the domain, else I'll bet $50 right now you wont get it.

Also note, it depends on the registrar.

SERPalert, Mar 24, 2006 IP
    thewindmaster likes this.
  3. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    Add 75 days to the domain expired date.

bentong, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  4. thewindmaster

thewindmaster The Man with the Plan

Best Answers:

The current registrar is LIVEDOOR CO.,LTD someone in china. Any thoughts on wait time?

Also, if I backorder it now through godaddy, am I gauranteed to get it?

5. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    Good change imo.

Depends how many other people are thinking your thoughts :)

If it's *that* important I'd backorder it on every backorder service there is.....

www.snapnames.com is what I use.

No thoughts or experience with the registrar, sorry.

SERPalert, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The domain "Update Date" is when it went to PENDINGDELETE. It will be dropped 6 days after that date.

digitalpoint, Mar 24, 2006 IP
  7. thewindmaster

Best Answers:
    Thanks Shawn, is Update Date was yesterday, so I have 5 days left.

I think I will go ahead and backorder.

8. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck, if its that good a domain name im sure someone else has their eyes on it too.

Seiya, Mar 25, 2006 IP
  9. rythm

rythm Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck, at least place your backorder with the major drop-catchers.

rythm, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  10. seolion

seolion Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes.. its better to place a backorder..
    I was waiting for a domain to get deleted and becoming free. But didn't get it.. as one of the backordering companies took it for their client..

seolion, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  11. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    @thewindmaster
    I think you may find this very interesting :

To be found by following this link.

Edz, Mar 26, 2006 IP
  12. thewindmaster

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the great info Ed. I back ordered with godaddy, but the DNS for the domain name is currently with pool.com. I compared this with a few other expiring domain names that had no DNS servers. I think I am screwed. Especially, since further research has led me to believe that this domain is going to be sought after be many parties due to value.

I post the results, hopfully today, Keeping my fingers crossed.

thewindmaster, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  13. thewindmaster

Best Answers:
    Sadly my back attempt through GoDaddy failed. I am assuming pool got it. That sucks. Damn godaddy.

thewindmaster, Mar 29, 2006 IP
    SERPalert likes this.
  14. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I believe pool.com and snapnames snap up most good domains these days.

dcristo, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  15. thewindmaster

Best Answers:
    Great News!!! I did end up getting the domain name. Initially, godaddy emailed me saying backorder failed. Since I was monitoring the domain they snet me several subsequent email with owner changes and name server changes over the next couple days.

Then poof. Last night they sent me an email saying domain successfully captured!! It is now in my control panel. Thankfully, I am the proud new owner of dailytemplate.com. This seems strange. I guess whoever had backordered it through Snap or whoever did not pay.

So the lesson is to all you domain drop hopefuls is do not give up :)

thewindmaster, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  16. SERPalert

SERPalert Guest

Best Answers:
    Congratulations! Well done, nice to hear a happy ending. I didn't get mine :(

SERPalert, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  17. RoughOcean

RoughOcean Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great info here.

One thing I didn't see mentioned here is that at snapnames you can backorder as many domains as you want for $0. I have about 100 listed at snapnames. They send you an update when the status of any changes. When you see a domain is about to be dropped, you can then decide how bad you want it. If you don't really want it, you just take it off your list then. If you REALLY want it, you can additionally backorder it on other services.

RoughOcean, Apr 5, 2006 IP
  18. DesiredName

DesiredName Peon

Best Answers:
    The most likely reason that your domain showed up as having been registered by someone else was more than likely that a domain taster or kiter registered the domain first. These are companies or individuals (usually who have their own registrar accounts with ICANN) who take advantage of a registrars ability to get a refund on a domain within five days. This rule is intended to make sure that typos and etc. are not a major problem. However, as far as I know, no registrar has ever passed on this ability to small scale domain purchasers, so I don't recommend trying it, lol.

Anyway, what they do is register the domain, put up a link site that is dynamically created based on the keywords found in the domain and wait and see if there is any traffic coming to the domain. If there is, they'll keep the domain; otherwise, they request (and get) a refund. And, believe it or not, they can actually do this on the same domain multiple times! They will do this on domains that do get a little traffic, but not enough for it to be profitable to purchase the domain. They get to use the domain for 5 days at a time at absolutely no cost.

Roughly 95% of all domain registrations are made by kiters! And, it isn't unusual for a domain that one kiter/taster releases to be picked up by another one. For this reason, many domains with relatively low traffic (no matter how great the domain is) will actually be registered 20, 30 or even more times per year.

The truly amazing thing about all this is that it isn't really a violation of ICANN's rules and they don't seem to have any problem with it at all.

It's really gotten crazy trying to capture expiring domains. I use to get 30 or 40 pretty nice ones every day... now maybe half that.

Okay, so what do you do? If you have access to a good expiring domain list (if you don't, email me), you go through and pick out what you want. You can then use a service to buy the domains for a relatively high price or you can try to get them on your own. I go after them on my own.... even though I don't get 90% of the names in the lists I compile, the 10% makes me enough cash to live on, so who's to complain? And, I still only have 6.50 each invested in them (sometimes less). But, when somebody kites the domain, you just wait and watch.... it doesn't go through another redemption period and you can snag the domains pretty easily after 4-5 days. Unless, of course, someone has bought a snag on one of the services... even then, I've gotten lucky as long as the domain wasn't registered with the same registrar who was listing the snag.

Anyway, just my two bits for what they're worth. Best wishes everyone.

P.S. It is my humble opinion that EVERYONE should be making regular complaints to ICANN about allowing kiters/tasters to manipulate the entire system.

DesiredName, Mar 3, 2007 IP