1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

WiFi Access Footprints

Discussion in 'Security' started by QiSoftware, Jan 28, 2008.

I have recently started using WiFi more-- often when i am out. Many in my area have non-secure access meaning I can access their service without passwords. This mostly coffee shops and eateries.

I do not have a wireless router myself and am wondering if these providers can detect my Mac IP address- even though I have Firewalls, sharing and internet access off?

Q..

QiSoftware, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. boltok

boltok Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do you mean your MAC address or the IP Address of your Mac? You are most likely assigned a new IP whenever you connect to a new WiFi access point and this doesn't really mean much. Someone else may get assigned the same IP that you were assigned a day ago.

As for the hardware MAC address, it is unique and can be recorded. Firewalls or other settings can't hide this since it is a very low-level thing (almost like running a network cable with your name on it into one of these coffee shops). What is your main concern here?

boltok, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  3. QiSoftware

QiSoftware Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The Mac Address assuming that it is the identifier for the pc I use to access the WiFi hotspot. I am wondering about this because I live near a major shopping area and airport and there are several places that offer free WiFi. Some appear to give away free access without meaning too. I have been testing it out because I have a new notebook.

My concern: access a network that did not mean to give it away and what the host can see when I do this. US law is still a little sketchy in this area.

Q...

QiSoftware, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  4. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if you use an open wifi hotspot - then ANYONE of the users PLUS admin of that network can see ALL your traffic!! unless your entire traffic is encrypted. ( https/ssl, etc )

hans, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  5. the_wanderer

the_wanderer Peon

Best Answers:
    As mentioned accessing wireless over an unencrypted link means you should always use ssl to encrypt your traffic or it can be read by others. Including passwords and your email.

As for open wireless access points - most coffee shops and airports that offer it, do so as an added extra to encourage people to visit the business. I doubt they are going to go to (or would have the knowledge) the trouble of tracking down your mac address if you use a bit of the wireless access even if you didn't buy a coffee.

However, if you are ultra paranoid - yes it possible that your unique mac address could be used to identify your access to that wireless router. There are tools for windows and Linux that allow you to spoof a mac address so I am not sure whether that would hold up in court even if they were able to identify your mac address.

the_wanderer, Jan 31, 2008 IP