1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you get a new forum going...

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by zybron, Jan 28, 2008.

...without having to pay out for posters?

It's not that I'm a cheapskate or anything but it's just not in my budget at the moment to pay for posters.

So, how does one get people to sign up without paying for people to sign up?

I suppose I could create a bunch of fake accounts and carry on conversations with myself, but that seems rather dull.

Any other ideas?

zybron, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  2. touchAshley

touchAshley Active Member

Best Answers:
    This question gets asked on here all the time.

Some people will tell you to hire posters, but that's incredibly stupid when you could create accounts yourself and post an x amount of times on each account. Have a couple friends do it as well.

Once each board has some activity, just start promoting just like you'd promote any other website and let your accounts fade away. I get regular posters and new members everyday now.

touchAshley, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  3. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have myself a forum for webmasters, still struggling to get it take off!

you can create accounts and post, still its a daunting task though! Instead you could better pay to forum posters.

Wondering if any gurus out here could help a rookie like me.

olddocks, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  4. yogesh sarkar

yogesh sarkar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Checkout postfusion from adminfusion, its a nice way to do post exchange.

yogesh sarkar, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  5. zybron

zybron Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the tip. A post exchange sounds right up my alley.

zybron, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  6. miTTi

miTTi Peon

Best Answers:
    will you be nice to pm me or post me here your forum link...id like to help ;)

miTTi, Jan 28, 2008 IP
    Profit|Jacob likes this.
  7. zybron

zybron Peon

Best Answers:
    zybron, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  8. Markas

Markas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Probably you have to pay for posting... if you want to reach something with a forum. Or you have to spend a lot of money to advertise

Markas, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  9. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try writing some articles about your forum to get some quality backlinks. Add your forum link to your siggie and start posting here or on other forum's. Visitors and members do click on sig links at other place's.

snakeair, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  10. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a good step by step guide

1) Go to social networking sites and start a group. Recruit people who share the same interests as the group.

2) Facilitate discussion among group members

3) Feed them relevant content and ask them to recruit their friends.

4) Once you have a "critical mass" of loyal group participants, MIGRATE this group onto your forum

5) Use VBSeo or some other similar hacks/plugins to make your forum SE-friendly

Principles:

1) Many of the most successful forums out there are fueled mostly by a core group of friends/influencers. Learn to cultivate these people and earn their trust and loyalty.

2) You earn loyalty by providing free useful information/content/services/entertainment.

webmasterlabor.com, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  11. emoneyclub

emoneyclub Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont have any experience starting a larger forum, only a couple of smaller ones. They both were very targeted. Basically I had a small supporting website behind it with some good original content.

emoneyclub, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  12. stickyLink

stickyLink Banned

Best Answers:
    I have clients who pay for my SEO service to get their forums to page 1 on google for their chosen keywords.....

This works well if you can decide which niche you want to be in, you can go for something like this.....

Lets say you were a forum about pets, you would be on page 1 of google for the keyword "Pet forums"......

This is probably the best way to get good posters and to create long lasting marketing strategies....:D

I mean you could do all the exchange posting, hiring, and doing it yourself, but eventually you are going to want to monetize your website and make it to where it will automatically bring in new members to your forum...all the exchange and paid posting is only temporary and when you stop paying, the content stops coming in.

On the other hand, acheiving page 1 rankings for your keywords is something that will keep bringing in new visitors to your site even after you have stopped paying!

stickyLink, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  13. zybron

zybron Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm...if it's not in my budget to pay for posters...?

Yeah, so I'm certainly not hiring SEO services right now, either. But it is a good suggestion and I'm definitely doing SEO on the site, as well. But that doesn't happen overnight and in the meantime even if I did have lots of traffic not much would happen without lots of users.

Unfortunately the former doesn't always mean the latter, especially if the traffic coming in doesn't see anything to post about on the forum. Thus I am looking for ways to get users involved that isn't contrived (fake accounts) and doesn't cost $0.10 per post (paid posters).

But if there ever is room in my budget for SEO services, I'll keep you in mind.

zybron, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  14. dmdelectronics

dmdelectronics Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paying for posting isn't a good option. Sure you'll get activity, but it's not what you want for a good forum. Would you want to go out in the real world and talk to a group of people who are payed to talk to you?
    You need targeted traffic...check my sig for more details.

dmdelectronics, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  15. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Perry Rose, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  16. webmasterlabor.com

webmasterlabor.com Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with your points. I have to add one thing though: Paying for posting is OKAY if (and only if) the paid posters will actually ADD VALUE to the forum. I've learned this the hard way :D

webmasterlabor.com, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  17. dmdelectronics

dmdelectronics Active Member

Best Answers:
    Very true. It's a risk, sometimes you come out on the better side :)

dmdelectronics, Jan 28, 2008 IP
  18. zybron

zybron Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I think I will stick with methods that don't involve paying anyone to post, if I can. Sure, it may increase the appearance of activity on my new forum but I think I'd rather take the time to attract genuinely interested individuals rather than pay for fluff.

Post exchanges seem a great idea though. Are there any other systems out there besides the one suggested at Adminfusion?

zybron, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  19. RovingCalypso

RovingCalypso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Build a forum that has a market which is uncatered for. With DP and other big boys around, I don't see why anyone should be interested in making these unless these are targeting specific audience e.g. countries.
    2. Social networking

RovingCalypso, Jan 29, 2008 IP
  20. heyheykaty

heyheykaty Member

Best Answers:
    If you make fake account on your forum, then why don;t you just write a few good articles then just join as many SNS site and forumn as you can for promoting your site ?

heyheykaty, Jan 29, 2008 IP