1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dedicated IP in a shared hosting account. Will it help in SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ientrepreneur, Jan 26, 2008.

I recently purchased a shared hosting account with Dedicated IP. Will it help in SEO?
    What are the benefits of dedicated IP?

ientrepreneur, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  2. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There has been many discussions over the last couple of years on this topic.

This is another SEO myth and no one has been able to prove that a dedicated IP would help or not. Google says it doesn't but who can trust them? :)

I would suggest to read the link below...a good read :)

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum5/7087.htm

Hope this helps

loredan, Jan 26, 2008 IP
    Insolsence likes this.
  3. ientrepreneur

ientrepreneur Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info loredan!

ientrepreneur, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  4. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, remember sometimes shared hosting servers can have over 500 seperate websites being hosted. They still rank normally in SERPs. What you want to watch out for is linking to sites on the same IP, that might be considered manipluation.

astup1didiot, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  5. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't feel that Google offers any bias on going with a dedicated ip's, most of my sites are on a shared hosting & rank nicely on Google. :)

Red_Virus, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  6. SunDevil

SunDevil Peon

Best Answers:
    Google looks for hundreds of factors in order to rank your web site. We believe that dedicated ips help, it is one of the factors that pull little weight, but any weight is good weight. Plus, you don't have to worry about others on your IP spamming :)

SunDevil, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  7. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There is absolutely NO benefit in a dedicated IP as it concerns SEO. The whole "multiple class C for seo's" thing is a marketing ploy by hosting providers designed to get you to spend more money IP's. It is actually completely wasteful, and of NO benefit, PERIOD!

If google or any other SE cared about whether your sites are on one IP or multiples, the would also care if they were in the same NETBLOCK ie., ARIN allocation.

For example, you might have an IP of 1.2.3.4 and 5.6.7.8

Both are different, but if both are technically still in the same /19 (NETBLOCK), what difference does it make? They are still "the same", technically...

If your IP mattered to Google or any other SE, that would kill about 90% of the sites currently out there, given a vast majority are all hosted by a handful of the top popular bargain web hosts out there.

Anyone buying IP's specifically for this purpose is wasting their money. Anyone suggesting IP space be used in this way is wasteful.

Mia, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  8. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree....Being in the same subnet (not netblock) is not 'technically' the same as being on the same IP address.
    There is a definate benefit to being on a seperate IP address for a variety of reasons. Some relate to SEO, some don't.

1/If there is a spammer on your server (shared hosting) the IP can be blacklisted and end up on Spam blacklists so your emails will never arrive when you send them (a friend of mine had this very thing happen on shared hosting and I had to move him to a VPS and proper hosting whereby he got his domain removed from Spamhaus et all and could carry on ok)...He had not been spamming but the shared server had a Spamming user who did naughty things!

2/If you run several sites, interlinking on the same IP address can be very risky and get you penalised by Google...
    It is much safer to use several different IPs for your main sites. Even if they are 70.119.165.101 and 70.119.165.102 but it is better to not be on the same subnet for total domain seperation

Some more that I dont have time to write ;)

seo daddy, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    There is not.

People are implying that the SE is looking for a commonality between sites, that being a similar IP address.. That said, same netblock, different IP, still same provider, it all looks the same.

There is no benefit in having multiple sites on a different IP address, none, nada..

The only reason to have an additional IP would be for SSL.

What people are trying to say is if you have 100 MFA sites on one IP, google will know about it, get suspicious and then penalize you as a result. If you have those 100 sites spread across different IP's yet all in the same netblock, would it not also stand to reason that googles algo is smart enough to detect you are trying to cheat the system?

There is no benefit in the use of multiple IP's, none.. It's a myth.

Typically spamhaus and other DNSBL's often times will ban the entire netblock, not just single IP's.

This is not a valid argument for ignoring IETF RFC 2050 regarding the proper and efficient use of IP Address space.

Moving to a different IP, fine, adding multiple IP's for multiple sites, which is what I am talking about are two completely different things.

No, it cannot. If that were the case, 90% of the sites that run Adsense would likely be penalized as a result.

It makes absolutely no difference what so ever. None...

You are really gonna have to find the time if you want to convince me otherwise. I'm telling you for a fact, the whole multiple IP myth was invented by some web hosts in an attempt to capitalize on this mythical fear. Its bunk.

Mia, Feb 5, 2008 IP
    ssandecki likes this.
  10. jackieshine

jackieshine Banned

Best Answers:
    it is really hard to say, i think they are just the same.

jackieshine, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  11. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Please list some references with your points.
    Past precedences and so forth (not blog articles), without that...it is pretty meaningless.
    And to me, unconvincing.

and regarding

Are you referring to any and all adsense sites?
    Has sergei or Larry confirmed to you that Google does not do DNS and Whois research in the background?...therefore meaning that most multiple domains (unless with a hidden registration service) will give out who owns what, on what server

seo daddy, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  12. astup1didiot

astup1didiot Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why don't you list your resources saying other wise? Your indirectly attacking someone who is known in this community of having great SEO knowledge and provides it to free to many users.

You sir are plain wrong, do you realize how many people pay $300+ a month for a high end dedicated server and run 50+ sites on it? I think you need to go back to SEO 101 and learn the basics before you start spreading more mis-information.

astup1didiot, Feb 5, 2008 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Could you support your claim to the contrary? I am relying on my experience, my understanding of IP based vs. name based virtual hosting, and several RFC's on the subject which specifically discourage wasting resources.

I am referring to the vast majority of Adsense sites that already share common traits that could (using your flawed logic) get them penalized.

Again, let's assume there are about a dozen or so market leaders in the hosting arena, and about 50% of those are generally specifically marketing to SEOs. It stands to reason that many AdSense sites are going to be on the same server as other AdSense sites, sharing a common IP and or netblock and or hosting provider... However, they are all different owners.

How pray tell, does google's algo distinguish between each site/owner?

Whois on a domain is useless as far as the algo is concerned... You really need to dig (pun intended) much deeper into the name to IP and the reverse in order to really discern the location of a given site.. Whoever, there is nothing that mandates whois be either publicly viewable or accurate. That said, you can put anything you want into the admin/owner/billing fields, and register from literally hundreds of registrars. This information can even be kept private.

If you are buying multiple IP's to host your MFA sites on, you are wasting your money... But I like, any other ISP will gladly sell you more IP space, assuming you can justify it.

Google has no way of knowing your site from someone else's based on IP alone.. Sorry, I'm here to tell you, you've been duped by the industry.

It just does not happen...

Mia, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  14. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Jeremy
    While your post is eloquently put, you seem to have missed the point of what I was saying.
    Maybe I didnt explain it very clearly.

My point is NOT that it is bad 'webmaster practice' for multiple (10,20,100,200+...sites) to be on the same IP address...

if it was that would mean that a large percentage of shared hosting sites would suffer.

No...

Nor am I saying it is not good to have multiple MFA sites on the same IP addres. (incidentally I do not run any MFA sites)

What I was saying is that IN MY OPINION having multiple sites, of your own, that interlink with each other ...all on the same IP and server, is not a good thing.

I didnt say it would get you penalised by Google or other search engines, because lets face it..nobody except google know precisely what measures and methods they use...apart from their Patented Algos and other items in the public domain.

You make your customers 'justify' wanting to buy more IP addresses?Interesting business model.....

seo daddy, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I don't make them, and it is not a "business model", it is a requirement: "IETF RFC 2050" I'd suggest reading up on it here.

This has been a requirement for some time in an effort to conserve IPv4.

Mia, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  16. seo daddy

seo daddy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fair play ;)

That makes an interesting read.
    While I knew that IPv4 was struggling a bit in terms of capacity...I didn't know it was that tight :eek:

IPv6 sounds a bit better after reading that...(sic/than I previously thought as I am or was, somewhat wary of it)

Thanks for the info

seo daddy, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It will be gone in less than two years... Most people do not realize just how scarce things are.

I'm not sure that IPv6 is even the answer... Ultimately almost every site, and even the servers themselves will be NAT'd.

Mia, Feb 6, 2008 IP
  18. ColinPL

ColinPL Peon

Best Answers:
    Dedicated IP doesn't help with search engine rankings.

ColinPL, Feb 7, 2008 IP