1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My PayPal have been hacked today and funds taken off, please help

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by bsdpowa, Jan 22, 2008.

I just tried to login to my PayPal account when the password was invalid so I reset it. After I did that and logged in to my account I could see this:

[​IMG]

Please help me, tell me what to do. I reported this to PayPal. Is there any chance I can get my money back?

bsdpowa, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  2. WebGeek182

WebGeek182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What did the PayPal people tell you? From what I know of PayPal, they are pretty good about refunding people in cases of security breach.

WebGeek182, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  3. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    They haven't replied yet because I just reported that. I was so angry, mad and nervous I even forgot to give them transaction ID. I hope they'll check my account ASAP. This happened today, I already changed my password and I think it's those damn cheap hosting providers and their WHM billing systems. Can they get my PayPal login/password like that?

I also suggested PayPal to check the IP of the hacker/scammer. I know they'll do that anyway but I'm getting a light heart attack because of it. This is what I do for working my ass off for two months.

Please tell me what are the chances of me getting my money back?

bsdpowa, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  4. duiattorneytab

duiattorneytab Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah they have a reputation to uphold. I do know that communicating with paypal is a pain though. They should treat you like a credit card customer because that is their competition..

duiattorneytab, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  5. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't care how they treat me as long as I get my money back. Then I'm limiting my balance to 5$ and changing password after every transaction I make online.

bsdpowa, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  6. Dark12

Dark12 Peon

Best Answers:
    u probably got phished

Dark12, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  7. crashq7

crashq7 Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry to hear this mate, i hope you get your money back somehow. like Dark12 said, you probably got phished. do you remember receiving any e-mail sent by paypal, asking you for login info?

crashq7, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  8. AutoBlogged

AutoBlogged Active Member

Best Answers:
    PM me your paypal account login and password and I'll check it out for you :)

AutoBlogged, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  9. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    No emails. I watch out for phishers but I can't ignore that option. Anything is possible. I just hope and pray I am going to get my money back. How long does PayPal need to responde?

bbakk: Not the right time. I'll laugh at this with you if I get my funds back.

bsdpowa, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  10. Ayrshire Web Design

Ayrshire Web Design Banned

Best Answers:
    Increditably easy to hack PayPal, i receive lists by default. usually around 10,000 per week

Ayrshire Web Design, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  11. leeza

leeza Peon

Best Answers:
    oo man.... i am very sorry for this. never click in email link for paypal, even email come from paypal, type directly their url in new browser window. you may save next coming lose.
    also do a anti virus in your system. do you browse warez?

leeza, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  12. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    No warez but I was told to scan my PC for viruses. I never thought of that. I'm doing it right now. I guess next time I'll use OpenBSD+VisaElectron+flushing my activities. This got me down so bad because I worked hard for the money I had, I hope somebody learns from this. Always be careful when it comes to online transactions. I would suggest everybody to use a Live Linux distro for payment processing and changing your password after every transaction. Why I haven't thought of this before, stupid human.

bsdpowa, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  13. Im The ONE

Im The ONE Peon

Best Answers:
    my Paypal had also been hacked, just file an unauthorized transaction claim on the transaction and tell them to check their IP logs and you'll have your money back within a day (worked for me)

Im The ONE, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  14. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    I still haven't heard from PayPal. How long do they need? They should act fast if they want to bust the hacker. What if he already withdrawn the money or exchanged it for another currency? How does PayPal act in this case?

bsdpowa, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  15. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Normally for such cases, I do not think the hacker would be so stupid to leave the funds in the paypal accounts, it would be gone by now. You may have a case and Paypal may limit the offending account, but whether is it the hacker account is another matter. Most likely another victim. I think it would be hard to get back the payment. :(

wisdomtool, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  16. kenbrower

kenbrower Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First thing I would do, if you haven't already, is open a dispute and file a claim on the payment. This immediately freezes the funds and the person can not withdraw it.

I am not sure if the person paid is the person defrauding you, most likely not, more likely they paid a legitimate vendor with your money, .. that way they receive the stolen goods, and are protected by two layers of anonymity.

Lastly I would NOT wait for paypal to email you, I would call them right away and ask to speak to an account manager. Paypal customer service is very poor in my experience. Unless you ask for someone higher up, they'll jerk you around for quite a length of time before you get an answer.

If you need any more help please feel free to PM me.

kenbrower, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  17. bsdpowa

bsdpowa Banned

Best Answers:
    I haven't thought of it yesterday. It's a shame, I opened a dispute now. I hope it's not too late.

bsdpowa, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  18. Grim_Reaper

Grim_Reaper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you received a reply?

Grim_Reaper, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  19. Pinup Girl

Pinup Girl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    oh man im so sorry for reading this, if someday this happen with me i will have a heart attack
    good luck,i really hope that you get ur money back

Pinup Girl, Jan 23, 2008 IP
  20. Psychic252

Psychic252 Peon

Best Answers:
    very sad dude...thtz y use egold dude...

Psychic252, Jan 23, 2008 IP