1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want to study PHP...

Discussion in 'PHP' started by vad111, Jan 20, 2008.

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to start learning PHP, I need some data from you:

What should I know or have experience in to start learning PHP?
    How long does it take?
    Is it well payed?
    Is it really needed and wanted?
    Please tell your experiences being a PHP developer
    Do you enjoy being PHP developer?

What are the best education programs or E-books to study it?
    Thanks,
    Vad

vad111, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  2. SmallPotatoes

SmallPotatoes Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing, you just have to want to learn. Prior programming experience is helpful, of course.

That depends entirely on you. I've been using PHP for 11 years and I still learn new things all the time.

If you are either a good programmer or a good businessman, then yes it is.

It seems to be in a lot of demand.

I do. I get a lot of interesting contracts, I get to travel all over the world, I work with fun people.

Personally I am not a big believer in that sort of thing. I think the best way to learn is to choose a project for yourself, and just do it.

SmallPotatoes, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  3. nico_swd

nico_swd Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes and no. It's very helpful if you know HTML well.

I agree with this. The only time I ever used an ebook was when I was preparing for the Zend exam. As SmallPotatoes said, give yourself a little project and start working on it. Ask if you need help (Only ask if you can't find the solution yourself. A good programmer should not depend on others, and should be able to help himself - Google is your best friend)

Use www.php.net as reference.

Also, editing modifying existing scripts helped me a lot.

nico_swd, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  4. Barti1987

Barti1987 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    When I started learning PHP/MySQL three years ago, I didn't even know how to create a simple HTML page, let alone make it dynamic with PHP.

I would advise that you read Larry Ullman's PHP/MySQL book. It took me a week to read and understand it. Another week to implement it and after that I could write simple applications with some help from the book (reference) and the web.

After that it just comes in time, keep practicing and you will learn, if you can't do something, look it online, take examples and ask questions.

Peace,

Barti1987, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  5. vad111

vad111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you guys!
    After I learn PHP and HTML will I be able to create plugins for Word Press for example? Or should I know some other staff as well?
    Anything else you can suggest me?

Appreciate,
    Vad

vad111, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  6. blueparukia

blueparukia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For that you definetly need PHP/HTML for that, though you will probably have to learn the WorPress structure - and MySQL could come in helpful.

Cheers,
    BP

blueparukia, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  7. BackupDrone.com

BackupDrone.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PHP + MySQL

You can do just about anything

BackupDrone.com, Jan 20, 2008 IP
  8. vad111

vad111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys,
    Any e-books or materials you can suggest me to start with?
    Thanks,
    Vad

vad111, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  9. LinketySplit

LinketySplit Peon

Best Answers:

Wordpress would be a great code-base to start working with as you learn.
    There are some complexities to it, so it might be better to start simpler (writing a few short scripts to do various things - why not try a web-based contact form?).

The best resource for learning about php is php.net. I use it all the time to lookup function syntax, and learn about functions I didn't know existed.
    If you want a tutorial-type introduction, either search around on the web or pick up a book on the matter. O'Reilly is a pretty definitive technical book publisher.

LinketySplit, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  10. webexpert

webexpert Banned

Best Answers:
    Before start learning PHP, will be better if you have good knowledge and practice with HTML and javascripting. then you can learn PHP with ease.. to check syntax of functions best resourse is ofcourse php.net but to take an start try w3schools.com a very nice step by step tutorial for beginners that covers all the major programming languages.. good examples of PHP is there as well..

regarding time period to learn PHP - It depends how talented you are, it depends how fast you pick things..

hmmm... well payed? i believe its something related to luck :) but if you are a guru programmer then PHP programmers are really well payed, specially PHP is best for freelancer programmers. Because it is open source and free thatz why alot of average employers wants their solutions in PHP. because they can manage in affordable pricing.. However big giant companies always prefer ASP.net for web based solutions..

Personally, my experience is awesome.. but as well as PHP, i am cross platform programmer.. But really enjoying many opportunites of life with PHP ;)

webexpert, Jan 22, 2008 IP
  11. vad111

vad111 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks,
    I have better picture now!
    But what about competition?
    I googled it and see there is too many people making plugins and do all kind of scripts or I am mistaking here?
    I probably should be some kind of programmer guru in order to create something decent and get some good money out of it, isn't it?
    Thanks

vad111, Jan 22, 2008 IP