1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Another reason to hate SP.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by buronggoy, Mar 15, 2006.

buronggoy, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  2. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    lol i just saw that. what a joke that place is becoming.

Scott Botkins, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  3. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    And went I visited to see what the fuss was all about, they sent me a popup that evaded my popup blocker.

They seem to be doing their best to drive off their user base.

Will.Spencer, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  4. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Sitepoint sucks, is it like a newbies hangout club. Just take a look at the affiliate nd marketing board, full of stupid posts like "how can I earn money quickly?" "how much do you earn with adsense?" and similar junk

fryman, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  5. cpvr

cpvr Guest

Best Answers:
    Haha, I just noticed that too - and we all wonder why DigitialPoint is starting to take over the market (I'm sure digitialpoint will pass Sitepoint statistics wise soon).

cpvr, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  6. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    They're just using webmasters to make them money. It's all about business for them. Nothing beats a forum from a dude who himself is somewhat interested in seo and doesn't need the money to the point where he compromises quality.

Blogmaster, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  7. ArcticPro

ArcticPro Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah bad timing I guess because I was going to post a job in that forum and then I saw that. :(

ArcticPro, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  8. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    it seems they are making significant changes to their business model - which direction they are heading, they themselves should know - do they?:D

onedollar, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    In their defense: it may be a good idea in the respect that you can see the willingness of the poster to pay. But the problem is that they are paying the 10 bucks to pay SP's toilet paper in the office. It would be a lot nice to have that money go to something that benefits everyone, such as new DP servers :)

10. cpvr

cpvr Guest

Best Answers:
    Ya, exactly, I bet DP brings in more revenue that SP's fees do.

cpvr, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    Not sure if the forum does, but some at least. But Shawn runs a "real business" as well, so he doesn't depend on us to pay his bills ...

12. jordan5815

jordan5815 Peon

Best Answers:
    Rofl, ima show you a couple links that will wipe the smiles right off your faces, dont mean to be mean but hey it will actually drive them up there will be no more spam crap like silly posters. No one will post spam, and as you see they do have more members on at all times then digital point does no disrespect to them, i have never heard of a proffesional forum flaming other sites, that is not proper business. i know the owner here does own a company as i can see. But this fee will help drive in actual business people not little can you post for 10 cent noobies
    take a look for yourself
    sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260671
    sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292992

Remember when this happened? the same exact fuss and look at them now about 10 listings a day and actually more then that, And yes they make alot of money, they have high respect they dont go trashing other competitors sites because they do not need to, it speaks for itself.
    Now since they made this the way it is people will no longer see stupid jobs, they will see big jobs like it should be paying high money.
    hope you all enjoy
    Cheers

jordan5815, Mar 15, 2006 IP
    vprp likes this.
  13. James - AMWSO

James - AMWSO Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't really see a major issue here...They need to make money through the site like everyone else...The advertising on the forums is not cheap at between $3,600-6,000 per quarter but it might well be worthwhile for some...They've got quite a few advertisers there who are paying this...

It'll be better for those who do pay the $10 IMHO as the forum won't be so full of junk/SPAM from now on.

Just my $0.02...Which is probably what my opinion is worth!

James - AMWSO, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  14. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you see that same crap here too though, just a lot less of it :eek:

exactly. Shawn provides this as a free service for us -- he even shares his revenue with us! Shawn doesn't make it a point to make money off of us.

fsmedia, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  15. James - AMWSO

James - AMWSO Peon

Best Answers:
    Jordan5815 you beat me to the post!

16. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    How much does it really cost to run that place? $400/month for a dedicated server?
    If you believe for one minute that they will say "Hey, since we're making money from employers offering jobs, we just take some ads off since we don't need the extra money!", you're living in la la land ;)

17. jordan5815

jordan5815 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, i never disrespected dp or meant too, it seems like a nice site, I just dont think it is alright to post bad about competitors everyone has to make money that is how we survive. yes since sitepoint is so high in the search engines they get alot of spammers and they are cutting them down and making money in return.

Hopefully people will see way better jobs now.

jordan5815, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  18. James - AMWSO

James - AMWSO Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not getting drawn into an arguement BlogMaster :) but just because it might cost $400 to run this forum from a dedicated server it doesn't mean that's all Shawn or the guys from SitePoint want to earn...I would propose they're not running their great services for fun or for their health...Would you run your sites for no profit? Something tells me probably not...

Basically SP is monetizing their site differently to Shawn...And frankly, who cares...I don't see a compelling reason to take a swipe at them over this...

As for the $10 fee, it's really not much and it will cut down on some of the rubbish that's posted. After all, if the person posting doesn't want to pay $10 for their message, it's probably not worth very much...That's my take on things anyway...

19. Blogmaster

Best Answers:
    My question here is why exactly there is a need for a company to run a forum. We've all seem what happened with seochat. Sure, SP is way better than that joint, but still: I don't see a need for a middle man. And I'm all for the person running a forum making money from it. But when you clutter it up like the guys from SP, it just shows me that quality and useability and a pleasant experience to visit may not be on the forefront of their overall intentions.

20. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    No "professional forum" is flaming any other... we, the users, are, and that is because this is one of the few forums where members can actually express what they think, without the risk of getting banned by any stupid moronic admin like the one sitepoint has.

fryman, Mar 16, 2006 IP