1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are wordpress comment links really No-Follow?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gregdavidson, Jan 14, 2008.

I just did a backlink checkup on my website at www.BacklinkWatch.com and it isn't labeling my wordpress comment links as No-Follow. Is there some kind of mistake here?

gregdavidson, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  2. Dreads

Dreads Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    not all are no-follow

Blog owners can install do-follow mods that remove the no-follow code.

Dreads, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  3. kentuckyslone

kentuckyslone Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Some wordpress blogs have comments set to no follow while others do not. By default the comments are no follow, but many blog owners use a plugin to remove it.

kentuckyslone, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  4. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the blogs I was commenting on were hosted by Wordpress. EVERY comment I have is not labeled as NO-FOLLOW. I actually think it's the other way around. Why would blog owners set their comment links as no-follow anyways? All the comments have to be accepted by the admin so it's almost impossible to spam.

5. SunDevil

SunDevil Peon

Best Answers:
    All of our wordpress's are noFollow, but as kentuckslone said, there are doFollow plug ins

SunDevil, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  6. Stallion

Stallion Banned

Best Answers:
    It was believed at the time that doing this would force spammers to stop, since it would be futile. Didn't really work out that way.

Stallion, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  7. Dan Schulz

Dan Schulz Peon

Best Answers:
    Because people want to control where the PR juice goes on their blogs, that's why. On my own personal site, I'll be using no-follow, but on a magazine and a dedicated blog, I may be using a plugin to rip it out, but I haven't decided yet.

Dan Schulz, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  8. nasph

nasph Peon

Best Answers:
    Why shouldn't comments be no-follow anyhow? Yes, I understand that you're trying to get some pagerank juice, but if you're leaving a valuable comment and your URL, then people are more than likely going to click-through aren't they?

nasph, Jan 14, 2008 IP
  9. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:

Blog owners do not "set" the comments to be no follow. That is the default setting already present. I think the so-called do-follow plugin is being used more and more by blog owners.

Also all comments to not have to be approved by the admin. For some reason many bloggers set it so that the comments automatically appear. That is an option that each blogger has in their admin controls.

10. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    All the wordpress scripts I have setup have the default setting to where the moderator has to approve the comments. Anyone who disables this obviously isn't having problems with spammers.

11. kentuckyslone

Best Answers:

Yes, you are correct, that is the default setting. Actually I cant even imagine why a blogger would change that to auto accept, but many do. I recently made 20 comments on 20 different blogs and 13 of them were not set for moderation.