1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to safely interlink sites

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by t2dman, Dec 15, 2004.

Google treats interlinked sites as one site. So you need to know how to safely interlink sites. I mentioned on an advertising co-op thread, that given the current co-op formula, you should have multiple sites once you got over 4000 pages in the advertising co-op. Multiple sites would then need to be linked for natural usage reasons. Now Shawn has signaled that the cap will be increased, but there is likely to still be a cap(?).

If there are too many links between sites, if a page on each site is optimised for the same words, one page/site will be shown say first on Google, the other say 100th or not at all. If you put a little more PR and optimisation into the other sites page, it will be shown 1st, and the other sites page 100+. I have proven this yoyo many times over. so how to safely interlink sites? How many links is too many? For safety I say keep low - one, two per site to another site.

The trigger can even be too many one way links to a website. Something I have a funny feeling may happen with signature links if you have not got many other external inbound links to balance it out. I am almost of the opinion that it would be best to sig link to your user cp page, then on your user cp page have the link to your home page - max pr to cp page, max transfer and only one link into your site - safety.

Or create a dp thread about your business, and sig link to that thread.

Per private message

Link shows transfer.php/www.widgets.com, robots excludes the transfer.php file, transfer.php has a 301 redirect in it to the new page.

$vardata = explode('/', $PATH_INFO); 
    $path=$vardata[1];
    Header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
    Header ( "Location: $path" );
    echo "<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Redirect</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>" .
    "Please go <A HREF=\"" . $path . "\">here</A>.</BODY></HTML>.\n";
    exit;

PHP:
    Exactly like your file that's where I got some of the idea from. I have not done it yet on my sites, but I think it is very much needed, since I want the links there for natural usage reasons, but it plays havoc with Google regarding "one site" issues.

I would have one normal link from home pages say, then all other intersite links excluded from Google. Each site would get enough PR from that one link, and other external links, and each websites pages would have the chance of showing up on Google ranked 1st and second, not first and 100th+

t2dman, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  2. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I may not be the brightest fellow, but I have massively interlinked quite a few of my sites and do not see any indication that Google has ever "treated them as one site".

I have also 301 redirected some sites -- and there I do see that Google treats them as one site.

Will.Spencer, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  3. ResaleBroker

ResaleBroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    ResaleBroker, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  4. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Will

Have you done an experiment - I have done the yoyo for many sites - "New Zealand Restaurants" for both my http://forum.time2dine.co.nz and www.time2dine.co.nz sites is one example, each site has been first/top 10, while the other one 100th+. A bit more PR or optimisation, and yoyo. I'm actually not sure which one I want up top, the main Time2Dine.co.nz is where I get the $ and that is up top for the moment. Having both up there would be even better.

Where you have sites with totally different terms, you don't notice the effect.

I actually think that this is one of the so called "sand box" problems.
    • When a new site is started you can put too many links at it from one site, and so that referer site gets shown (all be it real low) instead of the site you really want shown.
    • Or you have too many links from sites such as DP that is not balanced by many other links.
    • Or you get 302 links that bust you.
    I think that the DP co-op will break many websites/pages out of the effects of the above, since it adds so many links, that it waters down the effects of the negatives. Older sites have so many more links, that the negatives are watered down and so let the site/pages show in their own right.

Anyway, that is my take on the whole issue.

t2dman, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  5. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen the exact same thing between 2 of my sites with similar keywords. The kicker was the DP Keyword Tracker reported one site in a top position, but the other one showed in Google.

I never thought it would have been triggered on the "number" of links. Does anyone know what that number is?

CanadianEh, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  6. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    According to Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, wasn't it "47"?

minstrel, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  7. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    I don't remember any mention of the internet. Does that mean that there will be no internet in the future?

CanadianEh, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    There will be an internet in the future but it will be completely controlled by computers -- it will be read-only for humans.

minstrel, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I have seen Google host affiliation filter come into effect and yes the sites were heavily interlinked too but it takes more than that. It needs same IP and same whois records for them to be regarded as one (I believe + my experience).

Once the host affiliation is applied (and they probably found out about it because of the easy-to-find interlinking) it stays even when cutting interlinking down and shifting to different C-class IPs. It sucks.

i don't believe the coop network is a threat in this regard. It's got sooo many IPs and different Whois records that it's diluted too much to find out.

My advise: Don't overdo interlinking, don't put all your sites in the same c-block.

T0PS3O, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  10. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Forty-two!

flawebworks, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  11. CanadianEh

Best Answers:
    Thanks T0PS3O. I owe you a couple of beers for that priceless advice. :) :eek: :rolleyes: It made business sense (not done for Google) to promote related sites when applicable. I had some sites on templates that would display on 25% of the pages.

I am starting to see the same with some newer sites. Hopefully I can save the newer sites.

P.S. If anyone has recoved from the situation above please advise us.

CanadianEh, Dec 19, 2004 IP
  12. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    I moved an effected site to another ip address, and continued to have the problem. Even when a number of links were removed. Certainly a pain. I wish there was a switch that you could use to reset status. The long memory of Google is not appreciated.

t2dman, Dec 19, 2004 IP
  13. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I have client who has like 30 domains all on the same c-class reseller account

interlinked like crazy

the sites have had steady good rankings for like a year and half

thru florida etc

i think interlinking like that is just discounted, i don't think it gets penalized

ferret77, Dec 20, 2004 IP
  14. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Only when they find out (they will penalize you), and they will eventually. You can get away with it a long time but when the host affiliation (see white papers on this too!) comes into effect, all sites become one in their eyes and you can only rank once for the same keyword.

T0PS3O, Dec 20, 2004 IP
  15. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Interlinking is great for getting PR to sites within your group. But if you try and rank for the same phrase for two or more sites, thats when there are issues. A bit more PR and optimisation on one and it is ranked first, while your other sites page that was first all of a sudden becomes 100th+.

As has been mentioned, the effort is then to remove this from Google - Google has a long memory.

The code I am now using is as follows - on the soure page, I use the link:
    <a href="/transfer.php?u=<?=urlencode("http://www.time2dine.co.nz");?>">Restaurants</a>

transfer.php

$u=urldecode($u);

Header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");

Header ( "Location: $u" );

echo "<HTML><HEAD><meta name=\"robots\" content=\"noindex,nofollow\">

<TITLE>Redirect</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>" .

"Please go <A HREF=\"" . $u . "\">here</A>.</BODY></HTML>.\n";

exit; 

PHP:

t2dman, Dec 20, 2004 IP
  16. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    this sites i mentioned earlier are still doing fine in google, but gone from yahoo

ferret77, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  17. t2dman

t2dman Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, this is surely an old thread to bump. I wrote this thread long before re=nofollow appeared as a solution.

My recommendation is that instead of using links via the likes of "transfer.php", that you have one live link between websites in your group, and if you really need others, then make all the rest of the links <a rel=nofollow href=""></a>

Works very well at keeping sites ranking properly on Google - clear of the same site penalty / host affiliation.

t2dman, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  18. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Not only does Google not treat them as one site, they pass PR to each other equally and almost instantaneously.

Mia, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  19. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just thought I'd mention that the use of robots.txt is a great alternative solution for not being penalized.

EGS, Mar 16, 2008 IP