1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Amazon Affiliate cookie

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by tsc, Dec 24, 2007.

Somethings not right here... maybe...

Last night I managed to secure a bunch of shit-hot keywords for a product I want to promote on Amazon. Within a short while I had ads up and running on Adwords and by the end of the night I had around 2k impressions and 52 clicks.

I checked my Amazon stats this morning and there were no sales recorded against me. I thought I might have gotten one. The ad clicks though were recorded.

Anyway, this morning I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I cleared all cookies from the machine here and went to a product page on Amazon via a url that has my Amazon id embedded in it. I then checked my cookies.

I thought I would have seen an amazon cookie that was due to expire in 24 hours - ie an affiliate cookie. But no. Only two session id cookies were there (neither with a reference to my affiliate id) - both of which due to expire 31 December.

Is it just me or is something not right here? Why am I seeing these cookies and not an affiliate cookie with a 24 hour lifespan?

Cheers.

tsc, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  2. tsc

tsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK - second question: I just tried another test. I again went to a product page via a url that contains my affiliate id. I then clicked on the proceed to check-out button.

1. A new session cookie has appeared with a lifespan of 10 minutes.
    2. The url for the next page (ie checkout) has NO reference to my affiliate id.

Should I see my affiliate id embedded in the url of the checkout page?

Ta

tsc, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  3. fxx

fxx Peon

Best Answers:
    You have not made any mistakes. Amazon safes the affiliate/tracking IDs within the sessions for 24 hours.

There just were no sales.

fxx, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  4. tsc

tsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks mate - guess I was looking too hard for a physical cookie. Thought I would see one given all the references you see here on DP to an affiliate 'cookie'.

Got another question though.

Amazon defines "Direct Link Clicks" as those leading to a specific product page.

Last night I had 55 'Other' clicks and NO Direct link clicks, even though all my ad's destination url's lead straight to a specific product's page.

Any ideas why?

Ta

:)

(BTW in the last few days I have had 120 'Other' clicks and only five Direct Link Clicks. The ad's I have used for this time were the same as those used in the example above. ie they use the same destination url's...)

tsc, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  5. sircoulson

sircoulson Active Member

Best Answers:
    The same when I started before. I've got 200 adwords click but no sales. Few days after, I got sale day by day. May be they returned to buy. That's cool.

sircoulson, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  6. tsc

tsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Fingers crosed... :)

tsc, Dec 24, 2007 IP
  7. vrsux

vrsux Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it's too short.

vrsux, Dec 25, 2007 IP
  8. AdamCox9

AdamCox9 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am trying this now. I just got 40 clicks and one sale on the next day. The stats on Amazon only turn over once a day after 3AM at least. That's when I stopped checking... 24 hours seems like a really short period of time to track purchase.

AdamCox9, Jan 3, 2009 IP
  9. Ysmfree

Ysmfree Peon

Best Answers:
    You can see clicks report in Amazon and you will find something more there

Ysmfree, Jan 3, 2009 IP