1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Download box pops up for results.php when I try to search

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by beckmann, May 12, 2004.

Hello,

This question is in reference to the Google search tool located at: http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/search/

I followed the installation instructions to the letter (I think...). I downloaded the file from http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/search/search.zip. I obtained my API key from Google, inserted the key where I am supposed to in results.php, added my site URL (staffweb.peoriaud.k12.az.us/Alan_Gaugert/jrotc/) where I am supposed to in results.php, created a test webpage and pasted in the HTML, copied the test webpage, footer.php, header.php, and results.php files to my website (everything is in the same location/subdirectory). I checked with Google to make sure Google was aware of my site's URL... and everything looked fine, until I actually launched my test webpage in my IE browser and tried to search for something.

When I search, instead of it giving me any results at all, the browser's download dialog box pops up and it wants me to download (save or open) the results.php file.

I executed a search using the search box on Digitalpoint's website (http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/search/) and theirs worked fine for me (wanted to make sure I was able to display results from someone's search box that worked).

Why would mine not work? Is it because of the PHP enabled server/fopen() stuff? Is my symptom a symptom of not having PHP enabled on the webserver? (it is not my webserver, it belongs to a school district)

Please forgive me, as this is new to me. I searched your forums trying to see if someone else had asked this question previously, but did not find anything.

Thank you for your help.

Kindest regards,

Deb

beckmann, May 12, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It seems to work for your site when I test it. I ran it for the site you listed with a query of "contact" and I get 4 results back.

Do you get any sort of errors at all?

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 12, 2004 IP
  3. beckmann

beckmann Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Shawn,

I may be misunderstanding how you went about testing the search function against my website....but if you went to my site and searched my site with one of the two search boxes available on the main page, those are not the Digitalpoint/Google search boxes... they are other search utilities I have been trying out.

I do not have the search box available to the public from my website (although I do still have the three PHP files copied to my URL subdirectory).

If I made the search box available to the public on my website, then someone could download my results.php and would have my Google API key in it).

I do have a test webpage that I made for test purposes. I can send you that page link privately, if you would like, so you can try to test the Digitalpoint search utility on my website.

Regarding your question about errors. No, I do not get any errors at all:
    When I execute a search, the IE-file-download-dialog-box pops up, forcing me to download (open or save) the resutls.php file. Opening it doesn't work (no app associated to run it), so saving is the only other option.
    I do not get any results on the search....I do not get any errors...I just the IE-download-(open or save)-dialog-box.

Thank you for your reply.

Deb

beckmann, May 13, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I tested it within a results.php script on my server (making sure it's working on this end). If you are seeing the server sending the results.php file as a download, my best guess is that the server is not configured (or not configured properly) for PHP.

- Shawn

digitalpoint, May 13, 2004 IP
  5. miccy

miccy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Me too have tested it and the script works well

miccy, Feb 8, 2009 IP