1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo - No Guarantee but No Refunds?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Blitz, Feb 15, 2006.

Blitz, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    just for a review, if its not included you are out $299

lorien1973, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  3. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If your site is good and carries no "offensive" material then you are as good as in as long as you have paid the $299 fee. Remember, this is recurring yearly fee. I would suggest you go fo the non fee listing. However, it has to be non-commercial site for it to be accepted free.

qwestcommunications, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  4. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Woah, that's crazy though.
    I'm sure my site qualifies, but I don't want to risk it with $300 to be honest.

Blitz, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Commercial sites have been added to the directory for free. It depends on the category and the quality of site being submitted. If the category is lacking, you have a better shot at getting it listed for free.

CReed, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  6. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think the rejection rate is probably fairly low, but if they give refunds, it loses credibility and would also probably increase their work load by a factor of ten. Now publishers really have to make sure their site compare to others listed.

Google is also removing PR from directories in the business of selling PR. Since yahoo doesn't guarantee listing, the links still pass PR.

While commerical sites can be listed for free, the process can take a year and I think a very small percentage of sites are accepted. You really have to have a top site to get listed. I think you have a much greater chance of getting into DMOZ than a free yahoo listing. I had a few sites that were non-paid listings but were removed when I didn't opt to start paying the fee.

I do have paid listings, but I think there are better ways to first spend your money if your budget is limited. I have some top level listings in the Yahoo Directory and the traffic it sends is relatively small. If you spend at least $2-3K a year promoting a site, then I would certainly opt for a listing.

I do think it can help your SERPs in yahoo to some extent - yahoo even mentions it is possible.

mjewel, Feb 15, 2006 IP
  7. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think of the couple of years I have been on webmaster forums I have only heard someone complain once that they weren't accpected.

larysmith711, Feb 16, 2006 IP
  8. mddv

mddv Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But if you think about it your website does get listed in the directory it will be good for your pagerank.

mddv, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  9. CoffeeJunky

CoffeeJunky Guest

Best Answers:
    My crystal ball might be broken when I say this but I sure fear the day that the only "good" way to get into a search engine anymore will be to PAY to be there. Google, MSN, Yahoo, Etc all have bulk inclusion programs...(you pay to have your listings added into the "results".....

I think it will be quick death to to search engines if they do this, but they certainly do seem to be pushing in that direction on a brisk pace.

IMHO

CoffeeJunky, Feb 20, 2006 IP