1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

BackOrder Recommendation

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Gomar, Nov 24, 2007.

I want get some backorder service, does anyone have any recommendation. The domain is going to expire soon and maybe the guy is not going to renew it. Its not super good domain but it's something that fits perfectly for my needs.

What company do you guys recommend? I looked at Godaddy which is $20, I guess that's not too bad.

Gomar, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  2. Pinup Girl

Pinup Girl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    hey
    godaddys price isnt bad,but they never got the domains that i want,i dont recommend them to backorder..try http://www.pool.com

Pinup Girl, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  3. jasonsc

jasonsc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy never gets the name. Pool.com is great. They cost 60$, but if more people order the same domain there it will go to an auction (you said your domain is nothing special, so probably won't happen).

Also from my experience snapnames.com will try to snap ANY domain that expires. No need to backorder there, because once they snap a name it will automaticly go on a 3 day auction, usually at a lower price than their backorder costs (I think backorder is 59$). Just bid at last 5 minutes not to attract attention and domain will be yours. I got 2 great names for $39 each this way.

But anyway I recommend backordering with pool.com, they usually have more sucess than snapnames.

jasonsc, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  4. jeremyread

jeremyread Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's what you need to do.

1. Check where is the domain registered. If the domain is registered at GoDaddy or any of the GoDaddy resellers, then you will need to register with TDNam. Because when the domain expires, it will goto TDNam for auction. The TDNam membership costs a bit of money.

2. If it's not registered at Godaddy, then you need to backorder with ALL the 3 dropcatchers below, (and forget Godaddy since it will not capture domains registered at other places).
    a. Namejet,
    b. Snapnames
    c. Pool

This is because different domain resellers will move the domains to the different dropcatchers when the domain drops. For example, domains registered with Enom and Network Solutions will goto Namejet.

3. Finally, if you don't backorder but somebody else backorders and the dropcatcher catches the domain name. Then you will not be able to bid in the auction because it is a closed auction. However, if nobody else backorders, and the name is captured, then it will go into a public auction.

Also, you need to know the difference between the dates of domain expiry and the dates of domain drop. Domains that expires will go through a grace period, then a redemption period, then a pending deletion period and finally it drops. This could take anywhere between 1 month to a few months depending on the reseller, registrar and the domain extension.

jeremyread, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  5. bestsoftworks

bestsoftworks Peon

Best Answers:
    Prior post edited:

Godaddy's policies are confusing and misleading and seem to contradict one another. Backordering is worthless with Godaddy. As jeremyread says, save your money.

If the domain you want to backorder is with Godaddy, you will be forced to bid on it in auction if you want it.

David Beyer

bestsoftworks, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  6. jeremyread

jeremyread Peon

Best Answers:
    Your points 1 and 2 are not valid.

1. Yes you can reapply your $18 backorder fees to another domain. BUT if you ever hope of applying it to a decent domain, you'd be disappointed because it will be snapped up in the TDNam auction before you it goes to your backorder.

The other drop catchers, DO NOT CHARGE you for backordering. You are only charged if you they capture the domain and you are the highest bidder. Godaddy charges you even before the domain is fully guaranteed to be owned by you.

2. Yea Godaddy accepts only 1 backorder per domain. Lets say if you backorder xyzzzzz dot com and paid $18. Then it expires. Now it goes into TDNam auction. Then I bid and win in the TDNam auction. I am the owner of the domain. And you? Yes you backordered, but you still lose the domain to me.

My advise is, save your money.

I tried to backorder a domain using GoDaddy Backorder before. The execution is terrible. It didn't capture the domain I want. And I apply the credit to 4 different names and it still cannot capture it because the names were bought up at TDNam auction. Eventually, I had to apply the credit to a lousy 22 character domain that nobody is interested in. That's when it backorder the domain for me.

jeremyread, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  7. bestsoftworks

bestsoftworks Peon

Best Answers:
    You were right.

Here's the deal (just got off the phone with them)

Their website (and customer service people) are not on the same page. Even pages on their site are confusing and seem to contradict either other. The guy I spoke to didn't even understand their process and was wrong. He had to ask to clarify.

1) ALL domains go to TDnam

2) It is a 1 week auction and your backorder fees are used to place the first bid -- great for drawing attention to a domain.

3) They never release the domain so there is no chance of it being snapped up by another registrar.

In other words, Godaddy's backorder is worthless. It might give you a heads up on when the domain goes to auction but you could monitor it yourself.

Here is an article from June:

http://help.godaddy.com/article.php?article_id=925

David Beyer

bestsoftworks, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  8. Gomar

Gomar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ok thanks for all your help guys. So when lets say a domain expires doesn't it just go back on the list and anyone can register it? Or does it just automatically go up for auction and if no one bids it then it goes up for auction.

Right now hearing all your feedbacks I'm thinking I'll d backorder with pool or SnapNames. I think it's free, but if they get it for you then it will cost $60 bucks right?

Gomar, Nov 24, 2007 IP