1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Subdomains or directories

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by dct, Dec 2, 2004.

I' m interested in peoples thoughts on what the best SEO way is of grouping content, subdomains or directories.

Using directories will give you better results on a "site:www...." search which may be reflected in SERPS but how does a subdomain also offer any advantages.

dct, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  3. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    It depends. See Minstrel's answer for details.

T0PS3O, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  4. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    Thanks Minstrel, guess I should have done a bit more searching before asking. The articles you pointed out did confirm my suspicions.

dct, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That wasn't meant as a criticism, dcteam -- what I meant was that the answer you get depends on who you ask as well as the circumstances but the sources I cited I think lay out the issues to be considered fairly well.

minstrel, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  6. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    No criticism taken :)

dct, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  7. greatlinks

greatlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    I find that SEO wise subdirs work better as they are not regarded as "new domains" by some important se's

greatlinks, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    There are pros and cons to each, depending on things like how big your site is currently and how closely related are the topics for main site vs. the subdomain/subfolder. I think this is well laid out in the article I reference above at http://www.highrankings.com/issue105.htm -- scroll down until you find "Folders vs. Subdomains".

minstrel, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  9. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    If your content relates, then do a subdirectory, it makes more sense imho.
    I use subdomains for topics that have nothing to do with what my home page is about. it seems that the new msn beta version disregards unrelated content on subdirectories but validates sub domains as individual sites and ranks them for completely different keyterms than what the home page is ranked for.

Blogmaster, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  10. minstrel

Best Answers:
    In general, I would agree, sitetutor. For one thing, adding additional pages as subfolders gives you potentially more keywords/search terms leading back to the main site, as well as more (internal) backlinks. On the other hand, even if the content is related, if there is a logical separation between the content (for example, a main information site and a forum) and the main site is already a reasonable size, it may well make sense to create the secondary site (i.e., a forum) as a subdomain.

minstrel, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  11. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    you're absolutely right, Minstrel. What relates in our opinion does not always relate in the opinions of Google and msn.

You should always start by knowing what you site is about and not get sidetracked into too many different directions.

My subdomains have complete unrelated rankings but the subdirectories are losing them.

Blogmaster, Dec 4, 2004 IP