1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is embedding youtube videos illegal ???

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by mickscool, Nov 5, 2007.

Hi Friends,
    Is it legal to show the sports highlight videos that are posted by some other guys ( eg www.xyz.com) on YouTube on your website (eg www.abc.com) ???

I mean can we embed the code that YouTube provides, is it legal ???

I thought even re-broadcasting copyright material in illegal, correct me if i am wrong??

So,if i show that video on my website, does that means i am re-broadcasting the body and causing copyright infringement ???

Your help would be greatly apprecited.

Thanks

mickscool, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  2. yourihost

yourihost Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its perfectly fine . Thats why Youtube has made the feature .

yourihost, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  3. nicknick

nicknick Peon

Best Answers:
    Showing any copyright materials outside of the fair use guidelines is not legal. But if you're reusing YouTube code, the broadcasters are more likely to go after YouTube than a smaller site. They stand more of a chance of getting money out of Google than they would from you. Just my two cents.

nicknick, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  4. maddest_lover

maddest_lover Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I agree with everybody thats why I am also using it on my site www.mixed-videos.com If it's illegal then till now adsense will ban me.

Hope u got a live example.

Happy to help all DP members.

Cheers.

maddest_lover, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  5. mickscool

mickscool Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Guys,
    But i feel broadcasting or re-broadcasting of any copyrighted material is illegal and since i would be a part of re-broadcasting it as well without the consent of the original owner of the material,i thought i would be in danger as well...

Got into some problems recently with live streaming, so thought better to ask about the youtube clips as well....

Thanks

mickscool, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  6. yourihost

yourihost Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    By submitting to youtube and using the public button means anyone can republish.

They can use the private button.

yourihost, Nov 5, 2007 IP
  7. bluegrass special

bluegrass special Peon

Best Answers:
    Just because a service is provided does not make it legal to use all the time. YouTube assumes that the content on the site is noninfringing (per the ToS). If the material is infringing, then it is illegal to embed it without permission (at least in the US, I'm not 100% on Canada). As far as them going after Google and not you, that is a risk you have to ask yourself if you are willing to take. Google may have more money, but that makes you easier to get. Plus, YouTube has certain legal protections because they do not add content. If you as the website owner embed those videos, then you have no such legal protection. Then you're just hoping that you're too samll for them to care. That didn't work for college students downloading music and the sports industry is almost as bad about protecting their copyright.

bluegrass special, Nov 5, 2007 IP