1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Web Authoring Statistics - Google Looks Behind 1 Billion Pages!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Dio, Jan 26, 2006.

Interesting survey by Google of the code behind 1 Billion pages! Web Authoring Statistics. The results should see some renewed posting in the CSS v Tables threads... ;)

Dio, Jan 26, 2006 IP
    minstrel likes this.
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting, but reading I didn't see any difinitive percentages or whatever. Just a generic discussion about some of the more common usages but no numbers or anything. Wasn't worth my read, I got excited for some stats but didn't get any.

mdvaldosta, Jan 26, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, but if specific stats were lacking, there were nontheless some interesting comments:

minstrel, Jan 27, 2006 IP
  4. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There were a few pearlers in there, but the one that amazed me the most was the amount of people using GoLive over DreamWeaver. I always though DreamWeaver was the most widely used. Live and learn. I also spotted a few things in there I'm quilty of as well. ;)

Dio, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  5. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I thought I'd cited that one (I meant to) because it also surprised me. I have GoLive and it has to be the worst editor ever. Slagging Frontpage is a popular sport on forums and I've never understood why GoLive wasn't singled out more - talk about bad, proprietary, and bloated code :eek: I always assumed that the reason it didn't get panned more was because few people had used it or even heard of it but apparently, according to Google's stats, that's not the case.

minstrel, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  6. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    No mention of my fav html editor... an old one called HotMetal. Nice clean code and easy wysiwyg w/tags display. Coral bought it and then discontinued it. arrgghh.

Interesting that they say that most web authors don't pay attention to the specs. I rarely look any up. Just build a page and test, test, test. Maybe looking at the specs would be easier? But I don't trust that the specs would really work until I,,, test, test, test :)

I'd really love to see more about what html editors people are using.

Christopher, Jan 28, 2006 IP
  7. myamar

myamar Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are stats, in a very nice graphic format.

But you can not see that with internet explorer, as they say "You will need a browser with SVG and CSS support to view the result graphs correctly. We recommend Firefox 1.5."

myamar, Jan 30, 2006 IP