1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ 'cool' status and Google Ranking

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by hulo, Jan 18, 2006.

I have a site that was recently 'cooled' on the DMOZ. Does google take this into account at all for PR or in their results?

TIA!

hulo, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  2. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't realize that DMOZ did this sort of thing.

SportsOutlaw, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  3. iBold

iBold Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't think it did.

iBold, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  4. phoenixcarpet

phoenixcarpet Peon

Best Answers:
    Ive never seen it before.

phoenixcarpet, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  5. Yze

Yze Peon

Best Answers:
    how long did it take for you to get into dmoz may i ask?

Yze, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  6. hulo

hulo Peon

Best Answers:

One week. It pays to have super high quality sites.

hulo, Jan 18, 2006 IP
    pagode and Alucard like this.
  7. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    I can appreciate you have a high quality site, but this is not a reason for getting into DMOZ. I personally have a site that blows my competition out of the water ( All of Those Are Listed IN DMOZ ) but yet it hasnt been listed in DMOZ. I have 10 times the unique content and never before seen tools that other sites in real estate industry dont have. Its very user friendly, informative and meets all DMOZ guidelines but yet it is not listed in DMOZ.

Maybe you can hook me up with the editor that listed yours lol since any editor who edits in mine is most likely preventing this site from getting into DMOZ because of what it will do once it does. Either way its going to the top but a DMOZ listing would be nice.

Las Vegas Homes, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  8. SportsOutlaw

SportsOutlaw Active Member

Best Answers:
    That post is the equivalent of throwing raw steak toward a pack of wild dogs :D

SportsOutlaw, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  9. hulo

hulo Peon

Best Answers:

I know :D

I am a DMOZ editor (not for this category unfortunately LOL), don't think I don't know how the system works. (and doesn't).

hulo, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  10. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    That's news to me, but I highly doubt it will have any impact on your rankings or PR with google...

Jufcy8200, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  11. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That might account for the "cool" listing :rolleyes:

I agree. A "cool site" is just one editor's opinion. And not even necessarily an unbiased opinion at that.

minstrel, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  12. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont think spiders recognize the cool and give you more PR... or SERP ranking... anyway :x

Seiya, Jan 18, 2006 IP
  13. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    The cool rating in Dmoz has no effect on Google PR or SERPs. It is simply a presentation feature in the Open Directory. I believe that Dmoz clones can use the feature, but most don't. In fact I can't find an example right now of a clone that does. The Google Directory of course doesn't. It orders the sites in each category by PR.

'Cooling' lifts to the top of a category a site that an editor feels should be picked out, either because it is the official one, or the most comprehensive. This 'cool' feature is handy for example in categories for popular bands/singers, which may get swamped with fan sites. It is used quite often in Regional to pick out the local government site.

You will seldom see a commercial site 'cooled'. Take a category full of shoe shops. I might personally prefer one shop or its website, but that's no reason to pick it out. Others might not have my taste in shoes! (Or my taste in website design.) So 'cooling' is seen as generally inappropriate in shopping and business categories.

However there is no hard and fast rule. A site with a huge amount of information and some commercial aspect could be 'cooled' in a topical category if it is really the most comprehensive on that topic.

One rule is hard and fast. Editors cannot 'cool' their own sites. It's a quick way to get thrown out. Nor is a site belonging to an editor more likely to be 'cooled' by another editor. In fact there may be some hestitation if the ownership is known, for fear of creating a false impression.

Genie, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  14. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    At one time I found a note that specifiically said that no site owned by an editor may be cooled by anyone, but I can't find that today.

And it's true that there are not too many clone sites out there that copy the cooling feature, but sometimes message signatures may lead to them.

macdesign, Jan 20, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  15. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    More important to me is how much did the traffic increases from this cooled listing at dmoz?

WhatiFind, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  16. vlasta

vlasta Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember seeing that too somewhere.

Anyway, only Google knows how exactly the PR is computed, but many people believe, that <h1><h2><strong>... links pass more PR than ordinary or <small> ones. Since cool link is presented as <strong> on dmoz.org, it probably gives a very very small bit of additional PR.

vlasta, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  17. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not aware of any such rule and it doesn't seem to be a very practicable one. How on earth would an editor below the rank of meta know that another editor owns a particular website anyway? (The ADB is only visible to metas.)

One thing's for sure; asking another editor to give priority to listing your site is likely to lead to censure at the very least. Asking him/her to cool it would risk account termination.

jimnoble, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  18. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Either that or they'll promote you to meta and give you "Editor of the Year" awards :D

minstrel, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why am I not surprised that you responded? However, reasoned debate is fine but non sequiturs add nothing to the discussion :D.

jimnoble, Jan 20, 2006 IP
  20. Genie

Genie Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure? There is nothing like that in the original paper on Page Rank. According to that, PR is calculated purely on the number of inbound links and the PR of the page they come from.

Of course PR is by no means the only factor in the Google algorithm. People have speculated for years that factors such as h tags are given weight in search engine ranking for the terms that are highlighted in this way. For the sake of argument, let's say it's true. What would be the effect of a 'cool' listing in the ODP (Dmoz)? The terms in <strong> in the title would help to make the ODP category rank more highly in the SERPs for those terms.

Genie, Jan 20, 2006 IP