1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A big PHP file-type related confusion!!

Discussion in 'PHP' started by tayiper, Oct 14, 2007.

Hey all, I am creating this thread basically because of my "argument" with user Mike H. in the recent A contact form that doesn't use an e-mail client thread (which I don't want to "float" anymore further) that I opened here on DP forums; in particular see my and his posts from the 15th post onwards.

Anyway, I just want you to confirm or disavow what I said/wrote in there, quoting (it's a bit modified text though):

You see, as I see things, Mike H. simply assumed that I am not computing-knowledgeable and that I am not creating "*.php" files, but "*.txt.php" ones instead. While of course I haven't, I mean I don't even use Explorer as my file-manager (nor as OS's default shell), so there is no "hidding of known file-types" on my PC.

My question is then: I am right that a PHP file is basically a file in "text format", and that you create a PHP file simply by writing the PHP code (which is in plain text as far as I know) into a common .txt file (or for that matter already into a file with.php extension), and then change the respective file's extension from .txt to .php??!

P.S. - And once again regarding file-types: as far as I know they basically only associate an extension with certain file-type, so that the OS knows with/in which program to open a certain file when one double-clicks on it. While file-type in terms of file-format (i.e. for instance .exes being in binary, .txt, .html etc. being in plain text, .docs being in MS-Word format etc.) is something completely different!!

tayiper

tayiper, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  2. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I have to agree that what I have read here in this thread appears right on target.

I have php code that runs from files with .php, .html, .htm and files with no extensions at all.

PHP is a scripting language. Code in text and feed it to a parser.

But hell, what do I know!? :p

noppid, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  3. tayiper

tayiper Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks much for your quick reply; now I could finally sleep well - :) ...

tayiper

tayiper, Oct 14, 2007 IP
  4. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    I kinda looked at the other thread. For testing, I don't trust local host home machine stuff for php.

noppid, Oct 14, 2007 IP