1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying Links On Dropped Domains - The Debate

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by pedigreechump6, Oct 11, 2007.

Based on an interesting discussion going on in the link sales section I would like to open up the floor to a debate over dropped domains and link building.

There have been concerns voiced that dropped domains lose their PR and thus link value but I argue that PR is algorithmic and so if the backlinks to the domain remain then so will the PR.

I have bought dropped domains with backliknks that are likely to remain as they come from unmanaged pages of other sites. Many other webmasters probably dont even realise they link to you, let alone go about checking every link out on their sites.

And these were high PR .edu links - will Google really ignore these just because the domain gets dropped?

What if a dropped domain was bought by the original owner and the content restored? What would happen then?

I am very open to other ideas and theories - i want this to be a thread where views are freely aired - please don't resort to slagging matches.

pedigreechump6, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  2. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IMO its ok!

Links are links and if the owner of a dropped domain continues to build up links then the site wont drop in ranking or PR!

gotlinks, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  3. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem with selling links on a dropped domain if you are honest and reveal it's status. But posting false information or lying by omission to sell links on a dropped domain is fraud.

jg123, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  4. JagoHarry

JagoHarry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If omission is on purpose, then it is fraud, yes.

But the majority of domains have already lost a large number of backlinks before they're dropped, but the PR still remains.

If the site was a decent site, its likely that lots of sites linked to it previously. If the decent site goes down, many webmasters would remove their link, as its no longer useful.

But you do have a fair point, some webmasters will not bother.

JagoHarry, Oct 11, 2007 IP
    gotlinks likes this.
  5. pedigreechump6

pedigreechump6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Fraud may be a bit of a strong word for this, I mean yes it would be nice for everyone who sells links on dropped domains to reveal this but some of the responsibility has to be placed on the buyer.

You wouldn't buy a house without getting it surveyed first, and so you should not buy a link without investigating everything about the deal first.

6. JagoHarry

Best Answers:
    Completely true. And the information about the site can easily be discovered.

However, the issues surrounds novice link buyers means that they're not provided with the information that would help them to make a decision. And often that information is not provided because link sellers know it puts off a large number of link buyers.

7. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:

What info needs to be provided then? Just state its a dropped domain in the pms or do you need to provide some sort of proof or something?

8. JagoHarry

Best Answers:
    Just state that its based on a dropped domain. If you're building links to the site to try and maintain the PR, then also state that.

Proof its not needed. That information is enough for others to learn what dropped domains are, and if they choose to buy links on sites using dropped domains.

9. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    IC, ok cool! Thanks for the tips and info :D

10. pedigreechump6

Best Answers:
    I do think that it probably should be in the deal thread that it is a dropped domain, the hardcore webmasters would always probably find out anyway and the novices should be protected in some way.

But you can't police this situation, some buyers will reveal it and some wont.

JagoHarry likes this.
  11. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    First off, lying for profit is: fraud, scamming, ripping people off, duping them or whatever phrase works for you but they all mean the same thing.

Secondly your comparision of buying a house and a link are a bit far fetched but I would point out that you have many legal recourses if you are cheated while purchasing a home, whether it is by a dishonest seller or agent. There are many laws concerning proper disclosure.

A large part of this problem is that folks like you, pedigreechump6 don't see this as too big a deal, or as a fraud because someone is just fudging a little on disclosing all the information and really the buyer is not losing much because even if the link goes down from a PR5 to a PR3 it is not a total lose....

But the problem is much larger as I have written about extensively in other threads, especially concerning the web directory industry.

There is a member on this forum that was buying dropped domains, putting up a directory script, advertising as a high PR directory here to get lots of free link submissions (traffic) and selling cheap site-wides and featured links. Then he would go over to SP and flip the directory as an Established PRX directory with lots of traffic and revenue (from the DP members he duped).

So obviously this person had no plans at all to build up the backlinks he knew the site would lose. He cheated numerous DP members that bought featured links and site-wides, he even wasted the time of the free submitters because their links will likely be deleted by the new owner and lastly he ripped off the buyer of the directory because his fraudlent claims in the begininning led to him being able to 'pad' all the traffic and revenue numbers. One of these directories I am talking about specifically went down from the PR5 to a PR4 already and it could head lower. And if anyone along the way knew what this scammer had planned they would not have bought any links or purchased the directory itself. FYI this DP member had about 6 bubble of green rep and a few iTraders.

What I am getting at is that this type of scam is much bigger than just a few bucks or a little white lie. All types of fraud lead to bigger things and this is a prime example.

The novices should be protected but it is also frustrating for more senior members like myself because it wastes my time. I also blacklist all folks I find doing this and make sure never to do business with them again.

You can't police the situation but posting threads like this helps.

I agree with this, you don't have provide some long explanation. You can simply state "Great link deals on dropped domain, actively building links" or "New Blog/Directory built on existing PR5 domain, actively building links."

So many folks lately seem to be going for the quick bucks and don't realize they will be killing their reputation and long-term revenue opportunities. If you are honest and build up a good reputation you can make money for years to come. If you scam 10, 20 or even 50 people it will all be over in just a few months.

jg123, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  12. JagoHarry

Best Answers:
    Again, you're completely right. However, helping the novice buyers as best we can is a good thing. Advising sellers on what they should do is also a good start.

13. pedigreechump6

Best Answers:
    I don't condone this sort of action whatsoever but I DO consider my actions and my link selling to be completely different. I for one WILL hold onto the domains for years to come and I WILL continue to build links gradually.

I sell my links at a very discounted price given the nature of the domain even though I believe the links from these domains ARE worth as much as a link from an established domain.

14. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think that is great and I have bought links on those type of domains from sellers that were straight up about it.

Like I said you don't have to turn it into anything negative, if I was selling links on an expired or dropped domain I would just say; "Great deals on new directory built on a PR6 domain. I am actively building links for this long-term project."

jg123, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  15. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I now know how to be straight up and still make $$

16. JagoHarry

Best Answers:
    if a seller doesn't state it on the listing, what you can do is ask in the thread if its a dropped domain. If they PM you the answer, then just post the answer in their thread saying "ah, its a dropped domain, not for me, thanks anyway".

17. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If they were honest from the start I would not have to waste my time and they might actually get my business. I am also sure I am not the only one that thinks this way, so they are just hurthing their long-term earning potential.

jg123, Oct 11, 2007 IP
  18. pedigreechump6

Best Answers:
    What I have still yet to see is any concrete proof that dropped domains subsequently loose their PR and any link worth.

Surely my argument about backlinks remaining holds true in a lot of cases? And it is all about risk after all. You are gambling on the PR of the dropped domain holding up at its current level. PR is never certain, even on established sites.

19. gotlinks

gotlinks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think the fact is if you continue to build links to a dropped domain it wont drop! I have done this with many sites and it never drops. But if you dont state its a dropped domain it does look fishy if it drops.

20. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Gambling is fine if the house is being honest.

The proof is out there if you want to go find it, plus as mentioned it is just common sense, especially with high ranking domains PR5 and above because if they lose that one PR7 or PR8 link you will see their page rank plumet and many owners of high ranking sites are very particular about who they link to (and check often) and they also have active sites so their visitors will notify them if one of their links is dead or off-topic.

In these cases it is how high the PR that comes into play. If you buy a dropped domain that is PR4 or lower it is not very hard to keep the PR but it gets much tougher at PR5 and PR6+ is very difficult and/or costly.

I would also question why you would buy a dropped domain? Why not buy a new domain that has a nice relevant name and just build the PR up to 3 or 4 because it is quite easy if you plan on investing time and money anyways. If you are buying a dropped PR5+ domain name like www.AtlantaCon2004.com and putting up a blog or a directory it is quite obvious you are looking to make a quick buck scamming people.

jg123, Oct 11, 2007 IP