1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google double the size of its Index

Discussion in 'Google' started by nadlay, Nov 11, 2004.

Just been on Google.com and it is now showing the following statement:-

So all the increased spidering recently, and the additional pages that many have been seeing over the last few days can now be understood.

BUT, isn't it a co-incidence that the announcement on the increased size of the Google index comes on the same day as MSN releases it's new Seach.

nadlay, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  2. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    My guess is that Google has been broken and they were lucky with timing. Why on earth would they hold back on a thing like this if they didn't have some sort of problem with limitations? Last few days it seems like Google is working as it should again. Maybe we will see backlinks and PR updates more frequently again too? :)

billion, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty good work on Google's behalf to attempt to quiet any interest people may have in MSN.. Id imagine most articles will now discuss the Google counter as well as the release of the new MSN.

Billion... go check google.com..

schlottke, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  4. Weirfire

Weirfire Language Translation Company

Best Answers:
    Wishfull thinking I reckon. I would be happy for you to prove me wrong but IMO Googles motives for having quarterly updates is to reduce the number of people optimizing pages to their search algorithms.

<--- Just reading the Google blog. I'm sure there will be a few people smiling :)

Weirfire, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  5. billion

billion G.E.M.

Best Answers:
    But...what does this mean to us all? How did Google decided which pages to include or not? Was it based on PR? If so, more pages with lower PR will be indexed now? Does anyone know anything about this?

billion, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  6. thfc1afc0

thfc1afc0 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I got a few more in, one of my sites is upto 30,300 pages from 6,351 and the other is upto 1,454 from 752.

Can't be a bad thing just have to wait an see if I see any rise in my users from Google.

thfc1afc0, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  7. ojm

ojm Active Member

Best Answers:
    My site has had a 600% increase in what has been indexed. I'm happy now. :)

ojm, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  8. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Quick calculation - My sites occupy 0.00000000249% of their database, lol

l234244, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  9. Redleg

Redleg Raider

Best Answers:
    Hm, the number of indexed pages from my largest site has been jumping up and down yesterday and today, but it's about twice as many indexed pages now than it was a week ago.. :)

Redleg, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  10. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, and I have sites that Google says has twice as many pages as they actually do. I don't believe these numbers are accurate.

dazzlindonna, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  11. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    a couple of mine are extremely inflated as well donna.

schlottke, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  12. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Do they lie now.. :(

2003m2003, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  13. jarvi

jarvi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Extra pages is not always a good thing though. They have managed to finally add 794 pages from one of my sites. Only problem is that the pages don't exist anymore because I completely changed the site when there was only 1 page indexed. They are all from the supplemental results with the cache showing 1969.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too cynical but I think it was definitely done to take some glory away the msn announcement. Once again, quantity but not quality has emerged the winner.

jarvi, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  14. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    My imaginary scenario of what happened...

John Q. Programmer, a new Google engineer, gets taken out to the local pub to celebrate his new job. The next day, tired and hung over, he makes a mistake when playing with the algo that calculates number of pages in a site. (He thinks he's playing with the development server, but oops, he's on the live server). Not realizing his mistake, he continues on, and then goes to lunch.

While John is out to lunch, Nerdboy J. Accountant notices that the number of pages indexed in Google has doubled, and he runs off to tell Mary T. Marketing. Mary, having just heard that MSN will be launching their new search engine the next day, calls an emergency meeting with her marketing department.

"Quick! Spread the word! Put out press releases right now! Let the world know that we've doubled the size of the index! Chop Chop!"

The marketing department does as they are told.

After arriving back to work from lunch, feeling much better, John Q. Programmer hears the buzz around the office about the size of the index having doubled, and he suddenly realizes what he has done.

John is now (2 days later) waiting for someone to figure out that he made a boo-boo and wondering how long it will take before he is fired. He has already emailed his resume to Microsoft.

dazzlindonna, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  15. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    In my real estate market, Google has increased the number of pages from the 3 million range to over 6 million. Could this be a sign of something changing within the algo.

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 11, 2004 IP
  16. 2003m2003

2003m2003 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice story.. :)

2003m2003, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  17. l234244

l234244 Peon

Best Answers:
    Does that mean there is a job going at google, how much would people be willing to pay for inside information?

l234244, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  18. dazzlindonna

dazzlindonna Peon

Best Answers:
    Seeing some reports of sites that have had their page counts increased because Google has ignored the robots.txt file and has indexed forbidden pages, including those in the cgi-bin. It would probably be worthwhile for everyone to check their own sites to make sure Google has not indexed pages that you didn't want indexed. If Google really has done this, it would be a major faux pas on their part.

dazzlindonna, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  19. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    It seems there has been an increase in google today as well in my real estate market. We now have over 7 million pages indexed. This has increased from 6 million as of yesterday. Just 3 weeks ago we only had right at 3.1 million. We have more than doubled.

By the way lol this is my 100 post. I didnt know I could write this much. I know that I dont have the knowledge that most of you do but sometimes I surprise myself, but maybe something I say will trigger a thought with one of you experts.

Las Vegas Homes, Nov 12, 2004 IP
  20. daamsie

daamsie Peon

Best Answers:
    Well although Google doubled the amount of pages in our site to 120,000+ , it doesn't seem to have made much changes to the rankings and that's all that really matters in the end. Still, I'm happy to see the increase. Hopefully a major re-ranking follows soon.

daamsie, Nov 12, 2004 IP