1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

spam reduction techniques

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 16, 2005.

I am going to set up a new directory, and i want to increase the quality of sites that are submitted.
    Is charging a nominal fee to get listed the best way?

It seems that some people who actually have really good sites worth listing are ANTI-pay.. is $5 too much.... in fact is $2 too much?

TIA.... :)

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  2. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    The hassle of paying is the issue, not really the amount IMO.

Make the form longer and more detailed or make users include an email from the domain they are submitting.

Add a image verification.

Just delete and ignore spam submissions too.

Design Agent, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  3. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    i think charging a fee will not stop spam sites from submitting since they still have nothing to lose, $2 is nothing and if they get their site listed for $2 its a bonus and if you dont list it, you have 2 refund the $2 or they could possibly sue you or wotever

just-4-teens, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  4. daredashi

daredashi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agree. many spammers throw money to get their sites listed. but i think major problem is with automated submission scripts.
    as Design Agent said try to implement visual verification, email vertting and making submission form available to registered users only.

daredashi, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  5. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    these can be very annoying to the average submitter tho, and IMO still wont stop spammers, i once had a forum that had image verification & email activation but that didnt stop the spammer from creating an account making post and putting links in their sigs.

just-4-teens, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  6. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Most "good quality" sites will not pay to be listed in any directory. In order to charge a directory has to be deliver more value than it gets from having a "good quality" site listed within it.

Sadly, I think the only way for adirectory to work is to work on it. That means human approval for new entries, though anti-spammer techniques will help lessen the work load.

clancey, Dec 16, 2005 IP
  7. Solicitors Mortgages

Solicitors Mortgages Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I feel differently about that, if you have a good quality site, do you really want it listed with the spam?

If the directory read as.... BBC, CNN, [your site here], Harrods, TheTimes ... surely that is better?

Solicitors Mortgages, Dec 18, 2005 IP
  8. apblake

apblake Peon

Best Answers:
    Charging for a listing is not a good spam filter. Plenty of good sites won't do it and many bad sites will. It seems that the only way to truly ELIMINATE spam is to do human editing.

apblake, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  9. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, but they are looking for a way to stop receiving spam.
    I know how to stop receiving spammy submissions, but you wouldn't like to heard it. :D

muchacho, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  10. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, here is my take on it. About 90% of all the free submissions to my directories are complete and utter crap. The only thing these sites achieve is increasing the backlog of sites awaiting review. But I've noticed that those that pay a few bucks to be listed quickly are far less likely to be spammy. The overwhelmingly (maybe 80-90%) majority of those willing to pay, even a small fee, are people submitting sites of reasonable quality.

However, I honestly think that there is no way to eleiminate being constantly bombarded by the spamming community. Image verifucation? They'll get around it. Sign up process? They'll sign up. Pay a couple bucks? They'll pay it, knowing that you'll just refund the money once you reject them. But I think all the above will lessen their impact a bit.

EveryQuery, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  11. riz

riz Peon

Best Answers:
    Let’s hear it.

It takes at least 24 hours for a suggested URL to clear the spam filters in DMOZ and appear in unreviewed pool. Even then, a lot of spam gets through and overwhelms the useful suggestions in certain categories. I believe that the automated systems, relying on patterns and other identification techniques, can only help so much. Human intervention is required to deal with it effectively.

riz, Dec 19, 2005 IP
  12. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't let people suggest sites to the directory. That will lower spam to 0%.
    I said you wouldn't like the solution. ;)

I would like to deploy some spam detection system in my directory, but efforts needed wouldn't yield enough benefits.

muchacho, Dec 20, 2005 IP