1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Reputation Changes

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Dec 13, 2005.

A few changes have been made to the reputation system...

Certain forums have a dampening value (for example rep given to threads within General Chat have very little affect on the user's rep).

There is an upper cap and lower limit to how many rep points someone can give you with a single hit (people with huge rep can't affect you nearly as much one way or the other).

This is the first phase of some changes... I want to roll them out slowly so I can monitor the changes. Once everything is changed and looks good the reputation system might be reset (everyone back to 0) or I might just apply the dampening values to existing rep.

digitalpoint, Dec 13, 2005 IP
    explorer, sji2671 and wrmineo like this.
  2. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    I don't want to go back to zero, sniff, sniff.

The dampening factor is a good move I'd say. More techie stuff should surely earn you more rep than a good joke in general chat.

mcfox, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  3. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Good move. I think it will be a benefit to the forum in both the short and long term.

GuyFromChicago, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  4. sji2671

sji2671 Self Made Mind

Best Answers:
    Sounds valid and reasonable, if it is a techie forum with seo/internet based chat then general should be of less value to the overall weight of the site and its rep.

If it was reset that could promote more positive postings in regards to informative news/comments and information in relation to being a webmaster and probably bring more "real" threads/postings. I have actually missed a lot of good info through the deluge of posts on here and I think this may slow down the general chat a bit, although there is always room for humour/humor and wacko's I have struggled of late to see much outwith those types of threads/posts, perhaps personally I should adjust my subscriptions there to filter it a bit.

Sounds like a very positive move in such a large community all in all though, thumbs up!

Edit: In saying that I do think the likes of Mella/hodged bring a certain dynamic that should be retained so perhaps a dampening of the massive rep for huge "general chat" but they should still retain a certain kudos, my 2cents.

sji2671, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  5. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Rep should be reset to 0. People with big rep should be the ones that make quality posts, not dumb wacko threads and ridiculous story games

fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    More than likely it won't be reset, but the new dampening values applied retroactively to old rep. Just depends if I get too lazy to write a SQL query to retroactively update the old. :)

7. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Good move Shawn. I have seen points go up and down frequently and I'm glad to see something is being done about it so that people don't get in the red too quickly or people get high reps too quickly either.

For the future, will there be anyway to see who actually gave you rep points or will it be left to the user to put it in the comments still?

fsmedia, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  8. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Good move. I also look forward to a rep system that specifically applies to only commerce transactions. I typically give DP members with green rep the benefit of the doubt and pay upfront for services without worrying (and so far haven't burned). But a specific rating system for those of us that buy/sell frequently would be awesome.

As always, thanks/congrats for the awesome job keeping the site moving forward with continuous improvements. :)

Nitin M, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  9. ServerUnion

ServerUnion Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds good, hope this pushes some more business line members to post more, or at least keep the static off the threads.

BTW: Do grey reps mean they didn't select positive or negative??

ServerUnion, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  10. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. I have been asking Shawn to setup a system like this for about a month now, but he hasn't had time to do it so far. I think it would be an AWESOME addition to the board and would help improve the reputation system completely. It would ideal for the traders like you and I.

fsmedia, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  11. MattEvers

MattEvers Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe it means that it is neutral. The person didn't have the rep to give it to you. You can't not select one of the two (agree or disagree). It's a way of not affecting your rep, but letting you see the comment. Atleast that's how I understand it.

MattEvers, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  12. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If that's the case, I have some weird observations. I have some rep points that are grey (or neutral) with no comment left. So that just counts as nothing and I find out nothing from that rep mark?

fsmedia, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  13. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    Grey rep means the person can nto rep you. Either they are in heavy red rep, or they don't have enough posts or whatever.

I think you get the grey for red and green rep if the person can not actually rep you.

aeiouy, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  14. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yup, that sums it up

fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Just a heads up, the reputation dampening has been retroactively applied to old reps.

16. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Yikes! I've lost 3 greens :eek:

fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  17. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Don't worry, it's all relative... everyone lost some. :)

18. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Hey, shawn, there used to be some link where you would see all the members of the forum, where is that link? Can't find it :confused:

fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  19. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think you're looking for this link: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/memberlist.php

fsmedia, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  20. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    fryman, Dec 13, 2005 IP