1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AAARRRGGGH! I got the message too late!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Mister Tut, Dec 13, 2005.

I recently realised how stupid it is to have some of my sites hosted on blogger. The realisation hit when I saw that my top earning niche content blog was hosted there.

I started making preparations to move that very lucrative site over this coming weekend to my own domain. I got a slap in the face to see the site erased from blogger this morning.

I suspect my sin was that, although I was running adsense for the last few days, at the time they last cached me I was running YPN on the site. I've heard they don't like that. (that's why I switched it back to Adsense). Either that or the fact that I ran an experimental adwords campaign for the site, then dropped it four days later.

From the cache, I was able to grab about a third of my content. I'll never make that dumb mistake again!

Tonight, I back up everything, then this weekend I put it all on subdomains on my site. In the mean time, my Adsense income will be in the toilet for at least the rest of the month if not longer.

Mister Tut, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  2. HN Will

HN Will Guest

Best Answers:
    Oooo sorry to hear it and thanks for posting here.

Aren't there internet archiving sites out there where you could grab that old content?

HN Will, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  3. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    And you thought blogger was free.......

bschneider5, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  4. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    Free. Lol.

Well, I can laugh now. I wasn't in Wayback Machine, and my Google Cache was spotty, but I was able to snag all content from the MSN cache.

It'll take me a while to get re-established in the SERPS, but I've got it all back up on my own domain now. Lesson learned.

Now if I can just migrate my other sites before anything bad happens...

Mister Tut, Dec 13, 2005 IP
  5. Windows-Update-Advisor

Windows-Update-Advisor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    and they erased your site without any warnings? :mad: well, better backup mine 1st :eek: . and thanks for the info too...

Windows-Update-Advisor, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  6. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    In retrospect I don't think it was malicious on their part, but some kind of glitch.

At the time all this went down, I was very scared and panicked, but reading my first post above now seems a bit silly. I do stick to my guns that I'll never put up a new blogger blog, though.

The good news was that Blogger allowed me to create a new page at the exact same address. I put up one single post announcing "...our exciting new move to our very own domain!" and click-throughs are very high.

In fact I have Adsense on the old site and the new and together they are my 2 top performing sites. Of course eventually MSN will realize the old site has no reason to hold onto its high position and the old site will drop away into oblivion, but the new site is very well established now, and gets Google traffic as well as MSN. The old site never got a single referral from Google.

Mister Tut, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  7. GeorgeB.

GeorgeB. Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually blogger blogs are smart...

I saw a case study that proved Google and even Yahoo! love them. And tend to index them pretty fast because of the blogger domain.

GeorgeB., Jan 10, 2006 IP
  8. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:
    and thats why no matter what kind of site you make, its always important to make some kind of regular backup, especially if the site is database driven!!

just-4-teens, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  9. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    Amen. My host backs up regularly. I should probably do my own backups more often than I do, too. Thankfully WordPress makes that easy.

GeorgeB: I did not find that Google's SERPS (or Yahoo's) loved any of my blogger blogs. MSN did (and still does). Moving the same content to a subdomain on my own hosted account got me into G's serps MUCH faster. I even get the odd Yahoo referral now and again.

Mister Tut, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  10. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have an acquaintance that had five blogs deleted from blogger for being too spammy.

bschneider5, Jan 10, 2006 IP
  11. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmmm..is there any tool which can be used to backup blog or say save everything in one go ?

poseidon, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  12. Mister Tut

Mister Tut Guest

Best Answers:
    You mean Blogger blogs or some other platform?

Mister Tut, Jan 11, 2006 IP
  13. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    of Blogger's Blogs :)

poseidon, Jan 11, 2006 IP