1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Submitted my first press release to PRWeb. What can I expect?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by MikeM, Nov 30, 2005.

Before I begin, I'd like to thank all the helpful people in the other PRWeb threads. Too many to mention, but I've learned a lot from all you guys. Thanks!

I submitted it around noon EST on Tuesday November 29th, to be released Tuesday December 6th. I paid $85.20 and added it to six relevant categories, so hopefully we'll get noticed.

I've got a few questions, though:

1. What time of the day does it get released at? First thing in the morning? The same time of day you submitted it? I'm not very clear on that point.

2. I read that after 2/3 days it gets picked up by Google News, Yahoo, etc. Is that two or three days after you submit it, or two or three days after it's released?

3. I uploaded a picture and I understand you can upload a PDF of the press release. Do you upload it using the same menu as you upload the picture? Is there anything else I should be creating and uploading.

Thanks for your help, everyone! Although I rarely post, this forum has been unbelievably useful to me.

MikeM, Nov 30, 2005 IP
  2. EGM

EGM Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't used PRWeb in a while, but as I recall, they release a number of times a day (and into the evening as well). I really don't know what time of day they use for scheduled releases. I typically just did ASAP releases.

In terms of getting picked up by Google et al. - It is definitely a few days after the release of your...ah...release. :) A good way to track your PR exposure is to set up a Google Alert. You can do this in a couple of ways. You can do a general Google Alert for your domain or company name (probably not a bad idea anyway just to keep track of any new links being added to Google with your domain or company name in it).

You can also set up a Google Alert with some phrase that is likely to be unique (or fairly unique) to your press release. This works as well, but typically has more limited value (especially time limited as your press release ages).

A lot of news sites (especially newspaper sites) will pick up press releases without much regard for the relevance to their local audience. So it isn't always useful for driving traffic that needs to be localized. And it doesn't seem to matter if you restrict your press release to a geographic region. I did a press release for a college I was working with to promote some new courses. I only had the release set to go to the local area of the college locations, but I saw the release pop up all over the country using the Google Alert technique. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't help exactly either if you have that type of localization contstraint.

I'm sorry, I can't speak to the PDF issue. I honestly don't remember.

I hope this gives you a little of what you were looking for anyway.

EGM

EGM, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  3. MikeM

MikeM Peon

Best Answers:
    Awesome.. that's really good advice. Thanks!

This press release is very general - it discusses how 3 under-30s started a profitable business in an industry dominated by older consultants. I figure it's more likely to be of interest where we're located (the local interest angle), but at the same time, it's a fairly universal "underdog" type story.

We didn't localize it at all, just for that very reason.

It seems from the other people who have posted, you tend to get about 30,000 views of at a contribution level of $80 or so. Is that roughly accurate?

MikeM, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  4. subigo

subigo Peon

Best Answers:

1. Midnight pacific time on the day you listed it for submission.

2. Mine was picked up by Google News after 3 hours.

3. PRWeb makes the PDF file for you. It's automatic.

4. I got 23,000 views with $31.

As far as what to expect... every release is different. Mine got me 3 news interviews (TV) and 7 radio interviews... with more to come. Just got another call for an interview in Ontario next week and it has been over a week since I submitted my PR.

I documented the entire thing here: http://www.subnixus.com/category/press-releases/

subigo, Dec 2, 2005 IP
  5. monRa

monRa Peon

Best Answers:
    This is just cool!

monRa, Dec 3, 2005 IP
  6. MikeM

MikeM Peon

Best Answers:
    subigo: I heard about your success in another thread, but I didn't realize you also got 7 radio interviews! That's *amazing* - I'd be thrilled if we got one.

Thanks for the info. It'll be interesting to see what happens on Tuesday, when the release comes out.

MikeM, Dec 4, 2005 IP
  7. MikeM

MikeM Peon

Best Answers:
    Press release came out about 4 1/2 hours ago and it's already got 3500 views - that's crazy!

If anyone is bored, they can check it out here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/12/prweb316441.php

Thanks again to everyone who has posted so much useful advice on all the PRWeb threads on this forum.

MikeM, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  8. monRa

monRa Peon

Best Answers:
    I will check this out!

monRa, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  9. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Optimize your Press Releases by spending some time on the Title. It is the first thing people see...make it catchy.

I am interested to see how many views you get in total. I would like to compare it from Industry to Industry...

Let me know your total....

Monks, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  10. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I use PRWEB and it can have very good results. I usually get between 40,000 and 50,000 views, but wanted to mention that number is a "sound impressive/marketing figure" and only a very small fraction of that number will actually visit a site (at least with every PR I have released). I don't know if they count someone accessing a page with the title of your PR as a view, but the number seems very inflated. I have released very targeted PR's that would have very little general interest and the reads are approximately the same as a PR with a much wider appeal. You certainly can experience increased traffic, but don't worry about the server overloading when you see that 40K figure...lol

mjewel, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  11. MikeM

MikeM Peon

Best Answers:
    At 5:30PM PST on the first day, I've had 16,000 views. We're very happy with that.

No media requests yet, but I checked out our server logs and we did have a lot of visitors from local and national media outlets, which is pretty cool. :)

MikeM, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  12. dotcomguy

dotcomguy Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember reading about this on WHT. mikem whats the link to your PR?

dotcomguy, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  13. MikeM

MikeM Peon

Best Answers:
    MikeM, Dec 7, 2005 IP