1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CSS or Tables?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by PoohBear88, Jul 26, 2007.

I have a small freelance job given to me by a friend a mine.

My job is to copy their first website's layout and style. So, it doesn't matter how I build the site, just as long as they look somewhat similar.

I've been playing around with CSS DIVs and was wondering if it'd be easier/faster to do this with simple html tables over css divs.

If it's a decision based on preference, then I would PREFER to do this with CSS mainly without tables (I just like it better). But, as you can see, I'm having a bit of trouble brainstorming how to convert the site to simple css. The current site is using tables and javascript.

The css file I'm building right now can be located here and the html page is here (view the source).

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

PoohBear88, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  2. ready2work

ready2work Guest

Best Answers:
    Its always better to use CSS if you are comfortable with it. Moreover make sure that your css works with all types of browsers, atleast with IE, Mozilla, and Firefox. It is said that your page that is designed using CSS loads much faster than a page that is designed with tables.

Any guyz there to support this? :p

ready2work, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  3. benihana

benihana Peon

Best Answers:
    Use CSS for all presentational aspects of your page. Use tables when it makes sense in terms of the semantics of your page.

benihana, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  4. Bacon

Bacon Member

Best Answers:
    CSS for sure

Bacon, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  5. wmbetts

wmbetts Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd use CSS and tables where tabular data goes. Btw what's a roll-o-matic?

wmbetts, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  6. pondlife

pondlife Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, as the others have said CSS is the best but if you're having trouble then stick with tables - if you want to write the site completely yourself. If you're happy to use another designers CSS style sheet then that may be an option too. There are plenty of free CSS style sheets out there to choose from.

You could always just stick to the table positioning and just use the CSS to add styles - that way you'll be learning the simpler bits of CSS without stressing over the hard stuff!

Good luck,

Cheers, p.

pondlife, Jul 26, 2007 IP
  7. qazu

qazu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, CSS is the right way to do it, or so we're told, but tables are easier :D
    but then they also say that nothing that is easy is worth it.

Remeber to test your css layout in different browsers. ;)

qazu, Jul 27, 2007 IP