1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Speak to me of blogs

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by Trance-formation, Oct 10, 2004.

:confused:

Please...

I don't get them... povertised web pages... what am I missing? Is this (nearly) middled aged dinosaur hits new culture clash shock horror?
    :)
    I've started one up just so it provides me with a set of tailored anchor text links back to the individual pages I am optimising (http://trance-form.blogspot.com ) but I still don't get it.... a very clumsy tool, or am I missing something of great significance?

Trance-formation, Oct 10, 2004 IP
    giz likes this.
  2. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Trance, I think you're off to a good start there already :)

NLP, in your personal interests list in your profile, is a better phrase for finding like-minded bloggers than "neuro-linguistic programming", but go visit them, see what they have to say and drop a few comments in appropriate posts and their curiosity will usually get them back to your blog...

It'll take time but you'll soon be swapping links with like-minded bloggers, and with a theme you'll be better off than the random cr*p that falls out of my head :D And with NLP I know I should be refraining from using the word cr*p ;)

Lever, Oct 10, 2004 IP
    Trance-formation likes this.
  3. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Random cr*p is good, talking about the same thing all the time can get boring.

Lever your blogs are interesting and sometimes even funny! :D Your theme is randomness! LOL!

Colleen, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    LOL, yeah totally - variety is the spice of life :D Talking about everything from Punk to kittens is the way to go, I mean look at Joel Vitch - his punk kittens rock !!

Anyway, whaddya mean, sometimes :mad:

LOL :D

Lever, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  5. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Lever... thanks for that... makes some kinda sense... i'll experiment some more...

The Way of Wyrd, Hawkwind... I like you already :D

6. Colleen

Best Answers:
    LOL! If I said all the time, then when you have a serious post you would think I don't take you seriously. Or were they all meant to be funny? :eek:

I should start a "blogger" blog. I think my previous blog that I rarely post in is too depressing for here.

My blog entries are usually like your's. Just random stuff, whatever's on my mind that day.

OMG those punk kittens are hilarious!

Colleen, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  7. Colleen

Best Answers:
    Hey Trance, I agree with Lever, except I think random crap is good, lol. Be free, it's like your own journal, be yourself and have fun with it. :cool:

Colleen, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  8. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    I've currently got two blogs... one I'm experimenting with to see if it can usefully generate traffic to my sites, and I'll use to to create links to news articles on all things hypnotic, and one I set up last year as a journal... never used it since<g>

9. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Ah, sometimes I rant, sometimes just take the piss. Whatever :)

How about having a "dark" blog and a "light" blog - I was gonna do that and have all my depressing stuff in one place and the family & friends stuff elsewhere, but in the end though "what the hell" and just lumped it all in together. Variety again...

Go for it, girl. Be nice to know some more about you :D

Don't you just wish you'd thought of them first?

No worries, it will all fall into place. I only started when Shawn put the feeds in place, so thanks go out to the MOTU for setting the scene to allow the experiment...

You read "The Way of Wyrd", you like "Hawkwind"? That's seriously cool, Trance :cool: TWOW is being republished this month after many, many years - somebody stole my copy 10 years ago, but it's on order with Amazon. As for Hawkwind, haven't seen them for a couple of years. Get that journal going and spill the Hawkwind experiences... you read any Michael Moorcock? He's got some imagination that guy. Mind you, having been in Hawkwind that's not surprising :D

Lever, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  10. Colleen

Best Answers:
    I am looking into my own blogger blog right now. Neat how it can ftp into my server without me having to use my ftp client. I like that.

Colleen, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  11. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    I first saw Hawkwind with Bob Calvert in the Psi-power/25 Years tour... blew me away... I would have like you to have been deep frozen too, and waiting still as fresh in your flesh... God, must have been '78... picked up a copy of Festivaleye today and spotted Hawkfest... I didn't realise that they were still growing strong :D My first album was Quark Strangeness and Charm

Moorcock is great... I recently started rebuying some of the sf from my youth, including some of the Elric series (with hindsite, Moorcock used experience and knowledge as much as imagination :)

Way of Wyrd I still have... one of my desires is to write a couple of trance journey CD's, one of which will be based on the story of Taliesin (the other will be a hypnotic language version of the Tibetan Book of the Dead, but that's another tale)... ah well, when my site is selling enough MP3's to support me and my family :cool:

12. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Dear Confused:

Think diary. That's basically what a blog is: a diary, journal, etc, except it's a diary that is no longer hidden like we used to do when we were but wee sprites....

flawebworks, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  13. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks flawebworks

Between you, Lever and Kalina, I think I might be just about to have some fun with these things :D

14. Cricket

Cricket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    :D Actually it looks like you already have the whole concept down pat!! Your blog looks great! If you want a few more ideas, I just started a few new blogs using WordPress. It takes a lot of the work out of blogging and gives more control over appearance etc.
    Cricket

Cricket, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  15. Trance-formation

Trance-formation Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Cricket... Lever and Kalina managed a cool reframe which was all I needed :)

I will look at wordpress

16. Colleen

Best Answers:
    I am glad you're having fun with it Adam! :D

Colleen, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  17. hans

hans Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    one of the key topics at digitalpoint.com is SEO ..

after having had a brief look at some of the linked or mentioned blog software
    i see some having ZERO SEO !! integrated in their blog pages
    thanks to blog software that creates zero SEO ...

so what to do ?

before deciding FOR a particular blog software
    have a look at various websites using THAT particular blog system
    first of all the blog-SW Homepage

then answer a few simple questions when looking at the SOURCE code of several pages
    questions like:

are their complete and INDIVIDUAL meta tags for index pages and permalink pages ( single posts )
    are links SE bot friendly

how to know for sure ?

simply TEST

take 2-3 post TITLES - subject lines - of different individual posts - at least several days old - may be a week old

then copy ANY string of 3-5 words out of any such title
    enter in Google
    search

see how the SERPS is at all
    further
    take the topic title of that blog
    search again
    to see if "home-page" is indexed

then compare different blog software packages
    look at features like

- does it create categories
    - does it create automatically RSS newsfeed
    - can i attach pictures
    - can i create anchor text directly when sending to my blog - or at least modify by editing
    - does it create clean xhtml or html or other validated code to assure index-ability
    - do RSS newsfeed validate -- see http://feedvalidator.org/ and test that RSS newsfeed
    - how active is that blog project - how frequent updates, improvements new features

then compare and

have fun

btw

myself i did NOT follow above points - because i knew zero about blog when i started some 11 days ago ;-)
    so i got easymoblog from easymoblog.org

and got surprises - better SHOCKS and i MEAN shocks
    by seeing Thea ALL pages have one and the very same title and meta-tags and thus ZERO SEO
    BUT
    i loved it
    its appearance and ease of admin
    sending pictures
    creating RSS in 1.0 and 2.0 format ( NOT validating though ... )

and
    i just sat down and modified/bugfixed all parts as needed
    created a new module for adsense
    still work on every day or so to create new modules and improve SEO
    but all major parts are satisfactory

so the final question for those who have some skills is

can i modify and adapt MY blog software to meet my needs and expectations if for any reason the project itself is sleeping of slow ?

have fun
    because you will
    it creates thousands of hits within days
    new people from new market niches - just for fun
    or a little more - even business
    depending on what your goal is when blogging

here in short some blog i saw with zero or near zero SEO - by system default are:

Trance-formation
    www.blogger.com - probably father of above - NO meta = zero SEO !
    Forever Blue Skies as above
    WordPress same

during my search in recent days i have seen the 2 opposites
    - some blog software creating fine and detailed SEO
    - most of all others zero SEO
    - remember: Google loves ANYthing and everything and even more if its fresh like blogs !! love Google and give G what it loves most and you get what you love most - nice SERPS even for each or most blog post and more traffic ...

just a few - may be some work in modifying code and templates, unless blogs are very secret and never meant to be found by the world ...
    how to ?
    mine - i hade to change
    - templates
    - code
    to make the subject to the meta title and meta description ( an individualized real description meta tag may be later on planned. and turn the subject into a real H1
    now the Google results are satisfactory for the beginning to SEO blogs.

and if someone has or wants easymoblog - the project at sourceforge.net is rather slow presently - so i have a few fixes/updates posted in my new
    forum - category *easymoblog, blog and CMS*

mainly for seo and adsense

soon you may enjoy the fun of blog even more ;) !

hans, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  18. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    Wow, good stuff, Trance. Calvert was quite a guy - I have his "Lucky Leif & the Longships" vinyl somewhere. :eek:*sudden realisation* unless it was one of those LPs that got lost when I moved house a few years ago - I ended up with a pal's cheesy disco rubbish in my collection - I shall check the record collection later this morning to still my troubled mind.

Anyway - saw the Hawks a couple years back - had some young dude singing - Dave Brock was taking it easy - some rumour of him having arthritis or something.

You'll do it :) Funny that, I was gonna look for some tibetan bells mp3s earlier on... quite into my ambient stuff when I'm not head banging.

I shall be watching the Trance blogs from now, be interesting to see how things go :)

Lever, Oct 10, 2004 IP
  19. Colleen

Best Answers:
    Not meaning to hijack Trance's thread but Kalina is trying out a blogger blog too. :D

Colleen, Oct 11, 2004 IP
  20. oziii

oziii Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd recommend not going with a blogger blog - they just miss too many of the features you can get with tools like word press or moveable type. Google loves MT and WP also - very easy to optimize for SEs.

oziii, Nov 26, 2004 IP