1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

An Idea: Universal Database for a number of CMS's

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by libervisco, Nov 16, 2005.

I don't know if anyone else had this idea. It is likely that it crossed the minds of others as well, but that's a reason more to post it..

One of the major problems of most (all) content management / portal / blogging systems is that they practically "lock" you into their way, their modules, plugins and general database structure. This is why it is many times difficult or even impossible to combine one web system and it's features with another. For example, there are a good deal of great blogging tools out there (Wordpress, LifeType, b2Evolution for example) while blogging modules/plugins of most general purpose content management and portal systems don't really seem to be that good. You thus find yourself wanting to use one of these standalone tools and naturally ways to integrate them with that CMS you're using now. This is where you can run into many difficulties and even in the end give up.

Now imagine if it weren't so. Imagine if you could have a web system with a sort of universal database structure standardised so that any blogging tool that conforms to this standard and any other standalone tool in general can be combined with another. It's a perfect modularity and would open up endless possibilities for your web sites..

In such a case it would be easy for you to combine for example LifeType with XOOPS given that both conform to this universal database standard. They would match because their databases, being standardised in this way, would be compatible. Every web app could be a module of another.

What do you think? Are there maybe any initiatives which already strive to do this? Are there any web systems that come close to this kind of modularity (maybe CMS's that have a broad range of other web apps already "ported" to it)?

Thank you
    Daniel

libervisco, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  2. amhso

amhso Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, no standards have been made people of preference. Different users want different things, and like different systems. People also make their own CMS's to their own liking. If a standard was made, those people would be restricted on choices when they create their own cms, blowing away the whole point of making your own.

amhso, Nov 16, 2005 IP
  3. libervisco

libervisco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, that is true, but this kind of standard could be merely volontary. Some might like the idea and then make their CMS's interoperable with each other in this way which can only be good for everyone.

It is just that I would like to see more interoperability between various web systems or at least more porting of one system to another..

libervisco, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  4. AhmedF

AhmedF Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is that expanding this is hard. Inc reating the latest version of our product, we had to add 5 tables to support the new featureset. Having a common table would make such expansion almost impossible.

A good idea, but implementation would be extremely difficult.

AhmedF, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  5. libervisco

libervisco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see.. Well, maybe it could be possible to create some kind of a standard porting framework which would allow various web apps to be more easily ported to one another. It could be like a middleman application meant merely to convert apps.

I'm far from expert on all this though.. This was just an idea I've had being in a situation where I'd like to integrate one web app to another, but the converter or port doesn't exist. But that's a situation alot of others find themselves in.

Thanks
    Daniel

libervisco, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  6. submitter999

submitter999 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i feel there are not stadards mentioned foe CMS development becz i saw many people building their own CMS.inmy view CMS are used to make their pages ina modularfashion for easy style and navigation

submitter999, Nov 27, 2005 IP