1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

** Digg Domination, Server Shutting Down Traffic and The Science of Link Bait **

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by GetToThePointRob, Jun 23, 2007.

Digg Domination, Server Shutting
    Down Traffic and The Science of Link Bait

I decided to post a new thread about landing on Digg, because as I have seen and been keeping a record of, investing the time to contribute worth-the-read posts, deep within a thread, just aren't going to be found, unless you are subscribed to that thread or are searching by exact keywords.

Thus, the point of contributing value, but ultimately having few people actually read what you wrote, seems too much of an oxymoron for me...

I think this is an important read, and provides an accelerated short-cut that people seem to look for on a regularly basis, but the direct answers continue to elude them.

Here's The Cut To The Front Of the Line, Almost Unfair, Shamelessly
    Devilish Short-Cut To SUCK In Eyeballs, GRAB 'Em By The Blessed
    Throat, And KICK Your Competitors Square In The
    Teeth Resource For DIGG Domination

Sorry.. subtlety just isn't my thing.

I'd like to tell you and take all the credit for great information that I stumble upon, but as a guy who constantly monitors the internet for thieves that keep stealing my copywriting (my pack of lawyers love the smell of blood, so those people usually end up with their butt in the sling.. but that's a different thread entirely), and as creator of multiple information products, I know that's NOT an option. Because people who create worthy content are people that have earned my RESPECT. Lousy, who gives a flying hoot, empty, profoundly pathetic "content" is multiplying on the internet like rabbits on speed, so I have no issue shining the spotlight, on savvy fish who swim upstream, against the grain and who YOU should be paying attention to when words drop from their mouth.

A couple points, to consider before embarking on this Digg Domination Drive. ..Sounds like a NPR fund raising campaign, but it's not..

I have had several blogs, sites - of course, participated in many forums - private and public, consulted with too many to count here in the 'States and Internationally. Thus, with such vast, rich, and massive experiences, I believe it is safe for me to share this conclusion of most people, the "entrepreneurly"-spirited especially.

Here's Hoping This Ain't YOU, Bucko!

Most talk more than do. They attend every seminar on the planet about how to break free from their job(s) and become financially independent. And yet, years later, many of them have not only, not out-paced everyone that they blatantly bragged and cockily said they would, but they didn't even try, or took one defeat or failure and threw in the towel. They sat on their hands, afraid to move.

Big talkers are everywhere. Doers are infrequent. At least of the majority. I'd have a whole lot more liquid cash stashed away if I got a dime for everybody who: promised me something and disappeared, told me how great they were - - different from the rest - -and yet never actually did anything, were handed the exact answers, formulas, and strategies to FIX, improve and eradicate their worst, nightmare problems (often paying a 5 figure sum to get straight answers) - - but decided to do it their way instead - - and not able to figure out why they are still stuck in the same black hole they wanted so desperately to climb out of.

And of course the Classic type of entrepreneur who God-love-em, INSISTS on turning basic answers - - usually the ones right under their nose, screaming at the top of their lungs to get their attention, but they will continually fight you tooth and nail with all their energy to - - convince YOU: the individual who has been there and done that so many times it is an embedded second nature - - that it just can't be that easy. "It HAS TO be more difficult." And every action they take, despite already having the answers they need to get the job done, is invested in pushing boulders up hills in the dead of winter with no shoes on their feet.

The majority of my Clients are over the years are 40, 50, 60, 70. Who are looking back on years of regret, laying awake at night with the mantra: ..could've, would've, should've running through their brain like a broken record. The answer that is the right answer for them, that they've paid enough money to get their attention in order to simply be able to LISTEN and HEAR what words are spoken, often is the same, frickin' answer they had 20 years ago.

Don't Become The Asinine, Smart As A Bag Of Hammers, Close-Minded,
    Smarter Than Everybody Around Them Inventor Of The Wheel.

There's a seriously old school, motivational speaker that you probably have never heard of, even if YOU are old-school. His name was Charles "T" (for Tremendous) Jones. He was very Christian, lots of bible-thumping God talk, which isn't my thing, but was for those who flocked to him. (I know what a church looks like, but..)

If you can get your hands on any of his recordings from way back when, do! He talked a mile a minute, just under auctioneer speed and had an alliteration rich, rhyming and poetically licensed tongue that would put Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson to shame.

He said: "People who know the most, know they know so little, while
    people who know nothing want to take all day to tell it to you."

Amazon Link: The Book. Direct Amazon Link.

His book, the one you probably never hear of, is called Seven Laws of Leadership. But you'll find it quicker simply typing in Life Is Tremendous. As I write this, and upon checking, there are more than 168 used copies available right now on Amazon, starting at one penny. (No excuses).

Here's My Blatantly Fair Warning:

Regarding the fellow Charles T. is describing... Don't be that guy. (Or gal - of course, or one of both for the huge DP hermaphrodite reading base). :eek: I crack myself up sometimes...

Don't be the guy who hasn't ever failed, is first to trump the best story in a crowd, listens with his mouth, who believes avoiding the mirror and taking an honest look within will make problems magically disappear, the guy who takes everything but gives nothing, one who steals from another and will sell anybody out to make a dollar, don't be afraid to ask a question when you don't know, and don't be afraid to admit you don't know, or the guy who lets his ego the size of Texas determine how he treats people, don't be that guy. Anybody can. Not you. Decide not you.

You Are NOT Alone - I Assure You.

It's alright, I promise you, to be scared sh**less, (of course that's shipless), have your back against the wall, not sure which direction to turn or who to believe. To be broke in ways that many have never imagined. It's o.k. be so completely new to how to do something that it sounds like they're talking a completely different language. It's alright to have failed, once or many times. You are not too young or too old, and you are plenty smart enough and what you have to say has value.

I've been broke, beaten down, in debt up to my eyeballs, heartbroken, sick, clueless, buried in obligations, have felt like I was carrying a grand piano on my back, and the epitome of being completely overwhelmed.

But, I'm not now.

It may very well suck to be where you are at, but if you believe in what you want, don't throw in the towel, or let insecure DI** For Brains dictate your destiny or pull the wind from your sails. FIGHT!

But here's the thing to really pay attention to.

I'm going to give you answers. Hand them to you on a silver platter, and toss it into your lap.

You wanna know HOW to do something. When you're shown, USE the information. It's almost insulting when somebody invests in you, and you turn around and deliver: Jack Squat! Don't make the life impacting decision that information that is FREE, is not worth anything. I have NO FEAR of giving away some of my "best stuff", because human nature is human nature is human nature. It won't change.

With the exception of some people believing consumers are becoming smarter,
    I personally believe there will come a day when SOCKS come with instructions, but...​

There's great stuff on this forum. I've used it. maybe you have profited and gained tremendous advantage too. Of course, you do have to decide who to believe and listen to and who you should avoid like a kick in the groin.

Yes! I'm making a BIG DEAL about this, so YOU don't fall victim to doing what everybody else does, and races to the end of their latest book of "secrets" like their life was ending within the hour, looking for that one GEM, the one that they want to make more difficult than it is. Don't do that.

Because, within THIS post is FREE information. BE the guy who swims upstream and takes the advice of the late, great, influential in my life, marketing legend who not only talked the talk, but walked it:

Gary Halbert: He said, when asked on an interview with Joe Polish if memory serves.. WHAT should somebody out there listening to this tape do, if they have an idea, a dream, or have something they want to improve?:

"DO SOMETHING!"

Short and sweet. Yet profound, in a world of self-declared experts and I hate the word, but, gurus. He screamed it to the point of cracking his voice, and my Wharfedale stereo speakers buzzzzed. it's good advice. There you go: another easy answer, from a guy who could run circles around you, me and every expert you admire, combined.​

LINKBAIT: A Term You Should Engrave Into Your BRAIN If You Market Online.

2 Quick (yeah right Rob...) points on Digg and landing on it's site rewarding, front page. Speak to the audience.

One. A safe topic that is always popular: Apple (as in Macintosh). We are a growing cult. We're fanatical about our user experience and that 1984 Ad (YouTube: Videos) that has recently resurfaced and gotten much publicity via YouTube, spoke to us. I've owned only Macs (started with the Apple II+ - all the way up to what I'm typing on now, my Macbook Pro).

So Apple is a safe topic that would get attention, but IF you try to come into that crowd, pull a fast one, disguise your sales pitch as worthy news that people should give a da*n about, but in actuality have nothing of true value to say, prepare to be "Pitch-Slapped", burned at the stake, flamed and suffer the consequences of marketing stupidly to a online savvy crowd.

Two. Here's something few consider when exploring the "dream" of qualified, free traffic and backlinks galore from Digg or the social network of your choice. Are you prepared for and can you handle the traffic. No joke. Achieving front page status is only part of the battle. Often, those naive about the process and ultimate result, end up shooting themselves in the foot with a Howitzer, lose the opportunity, get their web host to dump them or suspend their account (hint: warn them ahead of time and keep them in the loop, or consider upgrading your hosting capabilities), etc.

** Perhaps some of the web hosting experts who congregate here on DP can chime
    in about what kind of specific components would be adequate for such traffic **

Resource One: Subscribe to this guy's RSS feed. Consider "Google Reader" if you are looking for an affordable (and free) alternative. I dumped my NetNewsWire app (Mac only I believe), because of the constant signing in errors that drove me crazy. They were my first choice, but I've since transferred all subscriptions to Google Reader and have been more than satisfied.

Instead of simply providing the post on his (SEOBlackHat - a.k.a. Quadzilla) "10 Steps To Guarantee You Make The Digg Front Page" (October 2006), the link I'm providing is a whole SLEW of Link Bait reading that should spit you out of the link-bait womb and push you into adulthood, simply with some focused reading.

Find this direct Link Bait arsenal here.

Also, check out a guy who SELLS LINK BAIT (I do too, but, this post isn't about ME, it's about all YOU).

At last check, he has an additional 62 posts specifically about Link Bait. Via CornWallSEO. Read it ALL! Pay attention to the use of the keyword: DIGG in many of the headlines / titles. Coincidence? Success leaves CLUES (Hint: Duh!).

Thirdly, I'm providing another resource, any online Marketer who understands the importance of positioning (Jack Trout: Positioning, paperback, buy ONLY buy the the $5.99 version) online should subscribe (RSS) to explore possibilities that have yet to cross your brain - - and probably would have never, unless triggered by something seen there.

It is right in line with How TO THINK about link bait.

Remember hearing about and witnessing the colossal press and word of mouth buzz about the kid who was selling the loss of his virginity, the mystery paper envelope that fetched what $7,000 plus, or the infamous grilled cheese sandwich that had a faint image of The Virgin Mary or the Hairy, recently Divorced Dude who was selling his wife's Wedding Dress, by modeling it Himself? You guessed it, baby. Ebay.

But here's the thing. As weird and silly as that stuff might be, fortunes were made. Who cares about selling the item.

Domains, specific to exact keyphrases regarding the item captured free traffic, affiliate diverted links to the items, t-shirts, literally world-wide publicity: radio, print, online and television.​

The savvy Marketer knows how to profit from such "silly campaigns". Subscribe to this guy's BLOG. It use to be just a website, but on recent checking for this post is now a Blog - it may take a bit to load up, but its there. It monitors Weird Ebay stuff.

Here's the link to Weird Ebay Auctions.

CRAP! No, DOUBLE Crap!

Da**it.

I did it again. On one of my more recent posts, I pledged to turn over a new leaf, after a fellow DP poster, "reprimanded" me for basically trying to help him, twice. Here I was thinking that he showed me the light, the errors of my ways, and thanks to his or her judgmental eyes, succinctly stated what my intentions were.

*Note To DP Moderators: We should have a category just for mind readers.

But, here you go. I tried to be a helpful. I'll stop. I'm sorry. Really I am.

Rob

P.S. Anybody who thinks they are too small to be effective, has never been to bed with a mosquito..

P.P.S. Whew! What a way to start my Saturday morning. I'm ready for a nap...

-
    -

GetToThePointRob, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  2. ovuh

ovuh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that was an interesting read.

ovuh, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  3. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:
    I will be getting a hold of you soon, do you have yahoo IM?

John Guanzon, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  4. GetToThePointRob

GetToThePointRob Peon

Best Answers:

=============================================
    I'll address a few things about HOW and WHY I do what I do,
    because its telling may prove to useful to others
    =============================================

John,

I've looked over your project in question.

Contacting me by Private Message says a lot about you.. which is good. You probably have been on DP long enough to realize, posting a question like you asked, but publicly, would shower you with a truckload of yahoo's who think copywriting is just putting words on paper. *BuZzZz* Wrong answer..

No, IM. Well, that's not entirely true, as there are all kinds of ways to get in touch with me, but only certain people ever learn of them, depending on where they rank in my life and my business. But that said, my high-end Clients who need LOTS of hand-holding (Dan Kennedy refers to his type as P.I.T.A. Clients - as in pain in the ass. He taught me to charge more for people who cause headaches or suck time out of you. It was great advice). So, some people if they NEED, can call me at 3 in the morning - - but usually UP - - if they are sweating bullets over something that is causing THEM not to sleep.

I will however attempt to call you here in a few minutes. Gotta finish a few things up first, but.. note the time this message posts and try to be by the phone if you want the LIVE version of me. I'm on Eastern Standard Time.

The short answer is I'm not cheap. But, I'm also really not looking for business. These days, if I WANT something (new toy, or something somebody else wants that "Uncle Rob" might buy "me" - - which works way too much, and I'M A SUCKER for hearing "Uncle Robbie could you..." from a 6 year old, etc.), I can either peel somebody off my waiting list, which usually are new-to-me people, or go to my regulars, tell them I'm available, first to tell me "I Want You" in the next 31 minutes (specificity is KEY in all things done - copy writing of course too), etc. etc.; most of the time, that alone closes open windows. There are plenty out there who ARE cheaper than me. Most in fact. A better option for you, might be to start there.

I'm not, what's Dan -da- Man up to these days? $12,000 a day? Is that right? Any close Dan Kennedy fans hiding in the shadows?

And unlike my posts (look through them - there's a history of how I write and more importantly you'll learn all kinds of stuff you can APPLY to your business online or off, now), that are more about educating those who might not know, and need a topic to be tackled from all sides..

When it comes to Business. I get to the point fast. Short and sweet. Some Consulting Clients get their advice 5 minutes at a time. They pay for 60 minutes in advance, but I don't care if they take literally years to use it up. Monet -- art joke, but may not make an ounce of sense to anybody else, so..

Money spent is money gone - cash is king. That's how I look at it. Thus, when the money being spent is on ME, I want that person to rest assure they're going to get what they pay for and then some. Like I said, much of the time they take me in CHUNKS. The only "fine print" is if I'm DEAD, and you still have Consulting time left, well.. you are up the creek without a paddle. No exceptions. But, as for as rules go, that not so bad.

They don't call me up to shoot the breeze, because every minute is dollars. BUT, if they are standing face to face with a charging, enraged elephant, threatening their business and have a specific question or two they've written down, that they want a what would ROB DO, if I were them kind of ANSWER, they know they have somebody in their corner, covering their arse.

Here's My Secret: I charge an "astronomical" fee, so I don't have to be chained to a desk, and can spend most of my time, goofing-off (which my definition might be different from yours, but I guarantee you'd want to do such things too ;) ). But, they aren't just getting a copywriter, or a web designer, or Marketing Consultant, or... They get the whole package, many specialties that I have had to hone for my own businesses, rolled into one mammoth burrito that would intimidate a Mexican community. Out of context, I'm "expensive", but if I just saved your direct marketing campaign $100K, I'm cheap. It's all how you look at it.

I'll be in touch shortly. I'm going to give a quick 1, 2, 3 critique about what you asked me to look at. MISTAKES and MISSTEPS I see that could be devastating. (Hint: fix 'em).

Thanks for reaching out,

Rob

P.S. Get ready.

--

GetToThePointRob, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  5. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to talking to you.

John Guanzon, Jun 23, 2007 IP
  6. GetToThePointRob

GetToThePointRob Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, that was an interesting response to my post.

6 words. First post. Way to break out of your shell and make an impression.

Interesting.

Interesting like when you get set up by a friend to go on a blind date, and you ask, "Is she pretty?" and the response is, "she's interesting"?

Interesting like being in the middle of an African Safari, just you and a tracker who speaks no English, pointing in the distance where a zebra has mounted another, only to say, "interesting."

Interesting like you just read so much information, your brain had a seizure, you fell off your chair, finally woke up after the best deep sleep of your life, only to explain it all, with: "that was interesting."

A, B, C, or do you have a D? :rolleyes: Just curious...

GetToThePointRob, Jun 24, 2007 IP
  7. John Guanzon

John Guanzon Peon

Best Answers:

Now That.... was interesting. :D :p ;)

John Guanzon, Jun 24, 2007 IP