1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google doesn't "really" ignore words in searches (?)

Discussion in 'Google' started by hulkster, Oct 28, 2005.

So I happened to notice that my Trick or Treat page ranks #1 in Google for a search using the two words trick treat ... but if I add an "or" in there so the search is for trick or treat, Google says the "Lowercase "or" was ignored" ... but the results are quite different and I don't see my page in the first 30 entries. I.e. the "or" is not really being ignored, but somehow tinkering with the results - wonder what is up with that?

Note that I am NOT quoting the search phrase.

hulkster, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm interesting observation.

exam, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I have also noticed that many times. So much for "stop words", eh?

minstrel, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  4. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice find.... Very interesting.....

clasione, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  5. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    I've been noticing this for a few months now.

Crazy_Rob, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  6. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Me too. I think someone pointed it out on another forum last fall at least...

minstrel, Oct 28, 2005 IP
  7. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    I think in this case what Google actually meant is that the "or" is ignored by the search engine as comparison operator. It still includes "or" in the search, but it doesn't see the "or" as stipulating "Either" trick or treat (as it would if you had used OR).

Crusader, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Except that I've seen Google do the same thing for words like "the", "in", etc. Non-boolean words.

Edit: Actually, that WAS true in the past - another "Jagger" change? I just tried it on some known phrases -- http://www.google.com/search?source...G,GGLG:2005-35,GGLG:en&q=psychologists+ottawa versus http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...GLG:2005-35,GGLG:en&q=psychologists+in+ottawa -- and I noticed two things:

1. the "ignored" message isn't there any more

2. the Jagger results for the first variant are emphasizing words in URLs more than previously?

Edit2: the "ignored" message doesn't appear for "the" now either -- look at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...-35,GGLG:en&q=ottawa+psychologist&btnG=Search versus http://www.google.com/search?source...GLG:2005-35,GGLG:en&q=the+ottawa+psychologist

Is Google making a change and now only "ignoring" Boolean words, as Crusader suggests?

minstrel, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  9. Crusader

Crusader Peon

Best Answers:
    Now that is a totally different ball-game. I haven't noticed that, but that's just cause I normally search only for phrases in qoutes etc.

Strange indeed.

Crusader, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  10. tresman

tresman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    tresman, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  11. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also seen that, but I think it is somewhat makes sense once you think about it.
    Google does ignore the word 'or' in the search, you can see that it you replace it with 'the', 'and' etc, it will give the same results.
    The difference of leaving it out entirely is then google search for words trick treat closer together. (It will prefer pages with the term 'trick treat' above something with other words between the two). If you now search for trick or treat, even though google 'ignores' the word or, it will search for phrases that more loosely contain the terms. (maybe even for the words trick and treat seperated by a single word). This makes sense from a users perspective, since simply cutting out the word might make phrases that would not normally be formed.
    Hope this makes sense :)

Dejavu, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No. I'm sorry but it makes no sense at all.

Could you please re-post that without words like "and", "or", "the", and "of"? :eek:

Thanks! :D

13. puzzlebox

puzzlebox Guest

Best Answers:
    i think it's been that way for long as I remembered? errr.. I've never really noticed it because I've been using Google for research then..

puzzlebox, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  14. Dejavu

Dejavu Peon

Best Answers:
    Too much text for you Minstrel;)
    What I meant is:
    1: Google does ignore the words or, and, the, ect since replacing the one with another gives the same results. (trick or treat, Trick and treat, gives same results)
    2: 'Ignoring' the words is not the same as cutting them out of the search. By typing trick or treat, you give Google more information about what you want. Now Google knows that you are not that interested in the exact phrase, but a more general query that includes both the words.

Dejavu, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    But Google used to TELL you they were ignoring those words, even highlighting the words they were ignoring...

16. Forza

Forza Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a hunch google wasn't totally ignoring those words... after all, how would it phrase match properly ?

Forza, Oct 29, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    See above - if you place a phrase in quotes, no words are ignored. Without the quotes, it is looking for any or all of the words in any order anywhere on the page or in the headers or in the URL.