1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anger at 'unethical' web ads

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by sarahk, May 26, 2007.

An article from the local papers down here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4074719a13.html. It's been going on for 4 years but I'm happy enough that it's being raised now.

sarahk, May 26, 2007 IP
  2. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    This is called trademark bidding and it goes on all the time. There is legal recourse for trademark bidding I am surprised these people have putting up with it for so long.

Shoemoney, May 26, 2007 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We haven't got a "trademark" on my husband's name - but it's certainly something to consider.

The key issue is that the target market are particularly web savvy so they may not understand just why the ads appear and they may believe it's because the content matches the search...

sarahk, May 27, 2007 IP
  4. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    I see. Is the business his name ?

Shoemoney, May 27, 2007 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I guess - his reputation is the key. His latest venture uses his name, the other things have been done as an individual and therefore have used his name primarily.

When I look at the list of people from the article the first five are "names" while the last two primarily operate under a company brand. I'm actually surprised the Dorien is in there at all. Her company is well known but I wouldn't have thought she was... still, you only pay when someone clicks so I guess Richmastery figured they'd target the lot.

sarahk, May 27, 2007 IP