1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone used Text Link Brokers?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Lynn Terry, Oct 8, 2005.

I'd be interested to hear about experiences with http://www.textlinkbrokers.com/ - or thoughts on using them. They've offered me money to link to some of their clients sites - from one of my affiliate sites. Appealing offer, and they are willing to swap for inbound links to my site too which is nice.

Have you used them, or do you know someone that has?

Anything I should be aware of before dealing with them?

Thanks,
    Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  2. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I buy ads from them on occasion, I like the layout of text-link-ads a lot better though. I put up a few links to the client sites, but most of the "client sites" that I needed to ad I didn't feel were very good so I stopped putting up those links. If you have pages with PR3+ that you want to put outbound links on, its a good way for easy money though.

lorien1973, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  3. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your response... Perhaps I will try both ;)

Lynn Terry, Oct 8, 2005 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I would be wary for a couple of reasons, not the least of which is Google's clear and public distaste for link-selling and PR selling.

Stick to linking to sites which are relevant for your site content and useful for your visitors, and obtaining links from like sites. In other words, aim at the long-term, not the short-term.

minstrel, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  5. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    You bring up an interesting point... and I'd love to discuss this further.

Paid Advertising has been around for as long as I can remember (back to '96 when I first began online)... so what makes this different?

And wont I get a choice as to what "flavor" of links I will accept and post on my site - also which types of inbound links I choose to purchase or trade for?

What I am asking is - how does Google differentiate between paid advertising and "buying links to manipulate PR & SERPs"? Do they also look down on "paid advertising" - in all of its forms?

What penalties should I be aware of in regards to working with link brokers... and is there a way to work with them without concern, or are they all "bad" when it comes to managing a 'legitimate site'?

Thanks!

Lynn Terry, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  6. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    I don't believe Google can very well - which is why they can be very aggressive at devaluing paid links where they find them.

I've bought links on a site that Google had already targeted - I simply wasted my money on links that didn't parse benefits - though I believe one webmaster in the O'Reilly linking furore had problems with Google afterwards.

I. Brian, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I agree. I don't think they can discern paid links easily which, as Brian says, is probably why they are so ruthless when they do identify them. On the other hand, if you're dealing with an outfit whose sole business is selling links for PR, do you not think that just might be more likely to be discovered than two "little people" making a quiet deal?

minstrel, Oct 9, 2005 IP
  8. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used the paid directory program from Text Link Brokers, and they do pay.
    As lorien1973 says, some of the client sites are less than brilliant, though.

Minstrel, what about all the directories out there that are selling links on their sites? What does Google think of them?

egdcltd, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Haven't you noticed? Google has in fact done something already about some of those sites. Expect more.

And by the way, the question wasn't about whether link brokers pay or do not pay - it was about whether there might be potential damage to your site by an association with link brokers.

minstrel, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    I have never dealt with them as a buyer or a seller, although I have considered it from time to time. I guess what has ultimately prevented me from pulling the trigger is what others have eluded too - Google seems to make example out of some of the bigger names in the industry from time to time. When they decide they want to start clamping down even more on link selling and make an example out of someone or something I bet they will pick the highest profile target they can to make sure it gets the attention of the industry.

GuyFromChicago, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  11. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Point.

But link selling has been around for years, and could be considered legitimate advertising. How, then, do Google pick which sites to target? Selling a link based on its' PR is one thing, and definitely of relevance to Google. Simply selling a link is, I would have thought, different; although it may be hard to determine which is which.

egdcltd, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  12. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    Easy, any site that mentions PR in the sales pitch. If you're not selling/promoting PR you won't mention it.

GuyFromChicago, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  13. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    It does seem to be popular these days for sites to buy links because they have a high PR. To me, it doesn't really make sense. Buying links for traffic, yes. For the hypothetical benefits of linking from a certain PR, (and the PR we see may not even be of relevance to Google) no.

egdcltd, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Not to mention that any benefit you might derive would exist only for as long as you keep paying...

15. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. ~ Albert Einstein

Buying and Selling Links solely for PR is not a good practice in my book, but what's worse, it doing it so openly asking for Google to take notice.

wrmineo, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  16. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use text-link-ads.com and they're great. If you think Google will devalue your site within their network of sites, you can also try sweeping DMOZ categories and calling (doing a WHOis search) webmasters and see if they would like to make a little money. :) I've done this and can work out very beneficial for both parties...you get a cheap text link...they get a few bucks in their pocket. Win-Win :)

Exactly...so you better keep paying. :)

Voasi, Oct 10, 2005 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That is short-term fly-by-night thinking...

18. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe for some...but not all. If you only knew all the details :) I know several very large web-based companies that have (and still do) a majority of paid incoming authority links. Names you'd recognize. They're where they're at today because of those links.

Of course, diversification in obtaining links needs to happen along the way, but indexable text link advertising is a viable advertising platform.

Voasi, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  19. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think minstrel was trying to say that text links aren't valid, just that selling text links can cause problems, especially if you are selling them on a PR basis

egdcltd, Oct 11, 2005 IP
  20. Lynn Terry

Lynn Terry Peon

Best Answers:
    You guys have given me a lot to think about...

I do have one more question - somewhat off the topic. I'm curious if there are any known effects with Yahoo as there are with Google?

The majority of the traffic for this particular site comes from Yahoo & MSN searches - with a much smaller percentage of Google searches. That's exactly opposite from most of my sites (which are informational, where as this one is product-based).

Anyway, since Yahoo doesnt have PageRank, I'm curious what their stance is on link-buying and link-selling... and how it might affect rankings in Yahoo either way.

Your thoughts?

Lynn Terry, Oct 11, 2005 IP