1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Truth about phpLD

Discussion in 'Directories' started by SiteExpress, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    I have sat quietly back, and watched things be said and promised, and have never said anything negative about phpLD. Why? Well...Honestly, because it was a benefit to myself for a long time, as I ran a business based on the phpLD script. (Dad always told me not to cut off the hand that feeds me)

In support of Rob (An0n), I now need to say a few things.

I was, and still am temporarily, a mod at the phpLD forums. I was a strong supporter of phpLD, both in the phpLD forums and elsewhere. I worked for free in the phpLD forums, and along with VSDan, and An0n, I feel that we helped build phpLD from the earlier free version to what it has become. Although I have never been a talented coder or designer, I offered as much support to the phpLD users as I possibly could, through my own experience using the script. At times when David would leave for weeks, the support forum would be left in the hands of mods such as myself and Rob. Since I freely admit that I am not a programmer, how much responsibility does that place on the one or two others that had a clue how to fix most things? Maybe a bit of incentive for those you relied on so much might have helped you offer better support?

phpLD is a great script. I don't think anyone really disagrees with that. However, the support at phpLD is, and always has been horrible. VSDan was an early developer of some great mods. One in particular that comes to mind is the Suggest Category mod. Anyone ever wonder why there is an Approve Category link in the admin panel, yet the Suggest Category mod was never included in the script? The reason, although David will deny it, is that David did not want to step on the toes of VSDan. In fact, phpLD made it easy for Dan to create and sell the mod by adding in the core programming that makes the mod function, but forces users to purchase it from Dan, by simply not adding in a couple of files that make it work.

There have been many bugs found in every version of phpLD. Version 3.00 had some serious issues that even prevent search engines from indexing the script, and returned error codes. Was there ever a fix for this? Only a half hearted attempt!! Was there ever a warning issued by the developers at phpLD? Not one!! Did they ever pull the version from download availability? Not a chance! They left it there, and allowed numerous unsuspecting users to download and install that version, even though they know it is a basically useless script.

Another major bug found in the script is regarding the sending of confirmation emails, and payment success displays in the script. In at least version 3.04, many servers will reject the confirmation emails sent to customers that pay for listings. The emails are rejected, and the headers show that the emails are sent from . A good indicator that this is happening in this version can be seen in the payments section of the admin console. You will notice that often times, even successful payments will be displayed as "Canceled". I brought this issue up many many times in the phpLD supporters forum, and on two occasions, had to pay David to fix it on my site!! The worst part is that neither attempt to fix the problem was successful!!

Shortly after creating the paid version of the script, David also created the paid supporters forum. He charges $10 for admission into this forum, and in my opinion, it was totally useless for many visitors. Users would come with problems related to the many bugs found in the script, and post after post went by without a solid answer from the devs at phpLD. IMO, they whole thing was a sham to grab another $10 from those that had already purchased the script. David did not offer any kind of incentive to his staff of mods and devs to help these people, and he himself rarely offered any useful information. Most time, users would get the ole "I will have a dev look into this" and then it would be dropped.

David claims that phpLD is an innovative script. However, what he should actually claim is this. "phpLD expands its usability by scraping (stealing) ideas from mod developers and users.." Remember the new template switcher? That mod was first developed Rob. He created it to be used on his AWL directory, and made the mistake of bragging to David about his accomplishment.

To date, every version of phpLD has been incompatible with its previous version. While phpLD will not readily admit to this claim, we all know it to be true. With ever new release, comes the daunting task of completely redesigning your directory just to perform an upgrade. Files are changed so much, that previous templates will not work on new releases of the script, and users are given the choice of fix your current version on your own, or upgrade and have to redesign. While I realize this is to be somewhat expected with a growing script, the task would not be as overwhelming if the support from David and his Devs were not so poor. How many of you users had to completely change the design of your directory each time you wanted to upgrade, because your existing template would no longer work? I know this to be true because I was on that was one selling you the templates with every upgraded version of the script!!

phpLD has a history of making unkept promises. Support was promised (For a fee), and was never delivered successfully. Fixes were promised that were never delivered, but rather provided in a new release that required a complete redesign of your site. Mods were promised, but left up to us users of the script to develop. Compensation was promised to a couple of individuals for their hard work and dedication to phpLD, but instead they received nothing but had their own hard work ripped off and incorporated into the script. David, stop making promises of support that you cannot deliver. You know as well as I do that you have no clue how to fix coding issues in your own script. If you cannot fix it, don't promise that someone else can until you know that they are able and have the time to do it!

phpLD has a history of getting such great reviews at places like DP, Hotscripts, and Sitepoint. The truth is that he sends out regular PMs to those of use he felt he could trust, and ask that we go and write good commentary feedback on those sites. I have numerous PMs from David with a link to some place like hotscripts, and a note from him stating "Hey, will you go write something about how great phpLD is here?"

I truly understand the need for David to make an income from the script that he has put such a long time into paying others to develop. I also understand that charging users for support is not ucommon in the web world, but if your are going to charge for it, then PROVIDE IT! I know that many scripts progress and grow from input and improvements offered by visitors and devs. However, if you are going to use the ideas and hard work of people, GIVE THEM CREDIT! If an individual works so hard to develop something, make a deal with them to include it in your script. Don't just take it! (You know you have, David). If you produce an improved or updated version, don't forget about the previous versions. Leaving broken versions of the script available for download is not only bad business, it is flat out deceitful. Either pull them from download availability, or fix them.

I have seen phpLD grow tremendously in the past couple of years, and have yet to see David give credit where it is due. A couple of unpaid developers at phpLD worked very hard to promote phpLD, as well as try and establish a business for themselves by being truly innovative and creating mods available to users of phpLD. To take those mods and incorporate them into the basic script is wrong, and to try and smooth it over by making promises to the creator that are never followed up on is even worse. Boby is a primary dev at phpLD. He released a couple of mods of his own at fairly expensive prices. Did those eventually become part of the basic script? Just as the Suggest Category mod never did, none of Boby's mods will either. It is part of an unspoken agreement between David and the creators of those, so they can continue to charge for the mods as the script evolves. Why was that same courtesy not given to others who have worked so hard?

I no longer run a directory, and may never again. There is one thing that might cause me to do it. If Rob will ever create a directory script of his own, I would jump into the market in an instant. I know the support will be there, and the script is guaranteed to be a solid and functional script that will be TRULY innovative in its design, function, and resources.

Good luck to all directory owners, and I wish you prosperity.

Rant complete!!

SiteExpress, May 4, 2007 IP
    NRLMedia, MarRome, jminscoe and 8 others like this.
  2. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A new revolution is coming, just wait a few days :D

SasaVtec, May 4, 2007 IP
  3. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That was a honest enjoyable read. Rob *AKA* Aron do you hear your calling?

FOX LORE, May 4, 2007 IP
  4. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:
    How many sites use phpld?

Our site, Linkspub, is a much, much faster and way more versatile then phpld.

I never intended to offer the software for sale, but a few suggested that it could be worth it.

I wonder if I should do some tweaks and offer my script for sale like phpld.

adnan, May 4, 2007 IP
  5. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hear Ya---I am banking on Rob giving me a prefferential treatment:D

@ OP --thanks for such a detailed history. Being a 4 months old baby --I didn't know most of those info. Now I am much more wiser.

Besides I am opening another directory shortly with another script that is not yet released commercially.

jhnrang, May 4, 2007 IP
  6. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is a lot that I have not said publicly about rob (anon) and still will not do that. I will say there is more to it that you realize.

We provide a few hours of support every day, 7 days per week. We do installations, upgrades, help with problems, etc. every single week.

You are correct that I have been supportive of vsdan, and continue to do that, because vsdan has also been very supportive of phpLD.

You stated yourself that you benefited from phpLD for a long time.

I think your post is more about Anon, and involves a lot of information that Anon has told you.

dvduval, May 4, 2007 IP
  7. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    wow ... a long time i saw the old guru bak here ...

Jamey give your self some credit because you did learned alot about phpld atleast you thought me ;)

and yes just like you ... i agree about the SE friendlieness of the script because i can assure you that sitesift does have better SE or so i conclude. I will write about my conclusion in my blog ... lets see where this thread goes.

smub, May 4, 2007 IP
  8. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Another good reason for me to switch to nicecoder :) . Keep them coming so i do not feel that it was a bad move by me. Coding template is painful but its very much feasible for nicecoder too :).

Cheers

paidhosting, May 4, 2007 IP
  9. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I had absolutely no idea about this, and was just PM'd a link.

Also, whatever this publicly related stuff is you say you have, just say it.
    I have all of my info saved.
    To make your false claim like you just did, is insulting. That's two times now.

/me shrugs shoulders.

@jamey...

just wow. totally unexpected post, and some stuff I've always known about, but chose to not ever speak of.

green for you on a good and honest post.

an0n, May 4, 2007 IP
    kiviniar likes this.
  10. Dawzz

Dawzz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting.
    No support.
    I provide many hours of support via pm or im to 2.x and 3.x user alike that do not join the supporters forum
    Now with that said someone saying that we are holding people hostage for support payments by not answering questions is a big pile of horse dung, and speaks volumes for the original poster's intent on creating "Drama".

Now with that said.
    If someone wants to release another script by all means I applaud it. I have no doubt it will be warmly received.
    I say this has more to do about Rob and the mods being copied than anything in the world to do with phpld.

If I am wrong then, Rob by all means correct me.

Dawzz, May 4, 2007 IP
    vegabond likes this.
  11. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    James, This predates to before you being there. Jamey is wow... even before me at phpld by a month. ha!
    Remember, what you are getting paid for I did for 10 months for free with promise of being part of everything

Rather than you or I post for David, let David fight his own battles here.

I know you do your best to support. Just think of me doing what you are doing and NOT getting paid for it.

Would you do it knowing how much of a pain in the ass it is? ;)

an0n, May 4, 2007 IP
  12. LeopardAt1

LeopardAt1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    With any web applications, comes its problems. Bugs seem so inevitable. One thing remains true and thats phpLD being the most popular. I honestly think this industry will benefit because of that.

As for the support, I never purchased it and never actually went inside. So I have no judgment on how the support is actually ran. But what you are saying about their support is believable.

If this is the case (lack of support for members), I think David should hire more support personnel and charge a bit more for the script in return. phpLD is a large script with many features and I think the current price of $25 is very fair.

As with the version 3.00 bug, if thats true, I do believe something should have been mentioned. Knowing that the majority of his customers are webmasters who may actually care about SERP's, then that bug should have been addressed. However, on version 3.1 it seems to be cooperating with Google just fine. My site which is fairly new already has about 1,100 indexed---non-supplemental. And as I said before, bugs are inevitable. Those who have 3.00 should perhaps upgrade.

LeopardAt1, May 4, 2007 IP
  13. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Admittedly, I'm not sure where he got his information.
    And I also will not try to say things about you Anon that only I know.
    It will be up to others to decide what they feel is best.

Here on DP there is never a shortage of rumors and statements against others. I will not participate in this sort of dialogue.

As I have expressed to you privately and publicly, I wish you well, and hope that you will run a successful business. I have no feelings of resentment toward you, and have tried to help you for a long time, despite what others may say. I've paid you money. I have given you customers. I have told people about your mods. I've tried to help you when people wrote similar mods to yours.

I don't know what else I can do.

dvduval, May 4, 2007 IP
    jmort732 likes this.
  14. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    everything has its drawback as a coin has its head and tail.
    I still like phpld and hope it gets better in the future...

xc06, May 4, 2007 IP
    vegabond likes this.
  15. adnan

adnan Peon

Best Answers:

LOL I think that refers to my Linkspub. :)

Well, I don't know yet if I'm going to offer it for sale or not. That was never the intention when I made it.

I'm just trying to find out if it's worth it or not.

And if it is, then I'll think more into it.

adnan, May 4, 2007 IP
  16. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Cant we all just get along and have a DANCE?

SasaVtec, May 4, 2007 IP
  17. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could not be more wrong. The fact is, I only speak to Rob about once every couple of months. I am very busy with my business, and do not get involved in such things.

the reason I posted is because of Rob, that is true. I happen across a thread that you and he had words in, and felt I should respond.

As far as my info coming from Rob, what info would that be? Everything I stated is from personal experience. Look in the phpLD forums where I made post after post begging for fixes on old bugs that went unresolved. Look in those same forums at the support that was offered by myself, Rob, and Dan, and then compare that to the support you offered. (Most times it was "I will get a dev to work on this" type of response from you. Then, nothing would be done.

It pisses me off of the levels you have gone to take advantage of those who got you where you are.

Just this morning, I upgraded yet another version of phpLD 3.00 to 3.06, just because 3.00 is a piece of junk that should have been pulled even before it was released. I did this for an old client that needed help, and could not afford to pay someone. I did it for free, because I felt some bit of obligation to him, since I supported phpLD so strongly and took money from him the first time I designed his directory. That is the type of support your customers deserve, David. of course, I could have taken cue from you, and told him I would have someone look into it for him.

18. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dawzz,

This post means no disrespect towards you. You have done a great job at phpLD in the months you have been there, and your support is appreciated.

19. Dawzz

Dawzz Active Member

Best Answers:

No it wasn't. :)

I can honestly say never seen it.

Dawzz, May 4, 2007 IP
  20. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see the big deal about 10$ for the support forum ?
    the dir isn't a ton of $ as far as script go, and I didn't have Any problem adding 10$ to the project, so If I did need some support, I would have access.

I agree that updating phpld can be a bit daunting :( maybe one day, that'll be fixed or made easier.

I'm happy with the changes that have happen with the upgrades, I started on 2.0 seem like over a year ago, and now I'm using 3.2 and I'm as happy with it as when I started.

I've also been happy with the help the mods provide at phpld :)
    I don't ask for to much over there, but 98% of time time, I've been given help within a day or two.

cheers

Brandon Sheley, May 4, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.