1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The Directory Market is Reaching Maturity

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, May 3, 2007.

Signs are beginning to show that the new influx of directories (80% at least did not enter the market with commitment) over the last 2 years approx are now reaching a better level of maturity and professionalism

Now a percentage of these directories are stabilizing due to maturity and market acceptance, along with the invaluable client support

With this maturity comes stablility, quality directories, and TRUST in the level of service providing and offered on a 365/24/7 basis

The next 3 quarters of 2007 look very bouyant and further consolidation and stability looks to be assured

But in order to keep the standards new features and innovation will still drive the market leaders to aim for higher standards

Good luck to all Directory Owners for the rest of 2007 :)

britishguy, May 3, 2007 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  2. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    I think for the most part BritishGuy you are correct. However there are still lots of directories popping up and directory owners set on making a quick buck. I would like to reinforce your statement about new features and innovations and encourage directory owners to read my latest blog entry that tries to illustrate and give a quick glimpse at the critical elements of the “web directory food chain”

Good Luck All !!!
    ;)

LaCabra, May 3, 2007 IP
    Richie_Ni likes this.
  3. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't you notice the traffic from DP?:rolleyes:

Richie_Ni, May 3, 2007 IP
  4. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I noticed a couple of posts in there from Mike Blogmaster who is recognized as a leading authority on marketing, promotion and a leading Directory Owner too

Interesting that he endorses innovation

5. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Although I don't agree that directory market has matured as yet--but new innovations and creativity coming into the market is just what I have been looking for too:)

And best wishes to you too.

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  6. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hehehe Thanks for the plug Richie ... actually the traffic was moderate from DP, about couple dozen uniques.

LaCabra, May 3, 2007 IP
  7. SasaVtec

SasaVtec Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Would have to agree, but 80% I think is a bit low, as there are 40+ new directories everyday in the announcements section which won't last 4 months.

SasaVtec, May 3, 2007 IP
  8. britishguy

Best Answers:
    You could be spot on there would be interesting if someone had accurate figures , but most of us like you are working on the positive side of the business, and do not have time to count all the failures :)

9. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I tend to agree with the fact that directories arrive to a saturated level. However, we see more and more directories with a deeper niche, getiting higher PR.
    On the other hand, directories are useless, except to build links. I don't think anybody actually visits directories...

Codythebest, May 3, 2007 IP
  10. solidghost

solidghost Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the problem is people think that creating a directory and earning from it is easy. They believe that all you have to do is start your directory, get people to come and you earn money. I guess I have the same idea too when I started my directory

solidghost, May 3, 2007 IP
  11. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:

Its because there are people like you --who have nothing to do but to leave his signatues and build links from forum postings:rolleyes:

jhnrang, May 3, 2007 IP
  12. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Agree with you 100% solidghost and its not like that is it?

It's very hard work 365/24/7

13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    While this is a good post, and I like the way it reads, I'm just failing to see where all of this so called innovation is at... hrmmm

an0n, May 3, 2007 IP
  14. solidghost

solidghost Peon

Best Answers:
    Now I know. Seriously, it's hardwork to get it even to a slightly respectable level, not to mention the competition for directory attention.

solidghost, May 3, 2007 IP
  15. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just beginning to learn coding nicecoders template and i hear this :( does that mean no one will require my services soon ?

paidhosting, May 3, 2007 IP
  16. raje_2000_21

raje_2000_21 Peon

Best Answers:
    Starting a directory is the least difficult job in this world, but keeping it healthy is tiresome. But some of our friends who start fly by night directories don't understand the basics of directory creation.

From my personal point of view, we should encourage new directory owners, if new directories don't come up there won't by any competition and cost effectiveness for submitters.

But innovation and customer service is the mantra for surviving in this cut-throat directory market.

raje_2000_21, May 3, 2007 IP
  17. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i feel people have realised there is more hard work than initially thought.

Same with proxies and word cloud sites, they think they can stick 'em on a $3/month shared server and rake in $100+ monthly....it just doesnt happen.....takes hard work and effort :)

mikey1090, May 4, 2007 IP
  18. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i agree. Me, you, the others, we're all in the same boat...
    And if what I'm writing is not true, I'd like to know how many of you are going regurarly on directories to find what they are looking for, if it's not to build links exchange...

Codythebest, May 4, 2007 IP
  19. britishguy

Best Answers:
    Pleased to see that at long last the message is 'getting home' and folks are realising that there are no longer any quick money making opportunities left for directories

It's all hard work, which is fine and a lot of the credit for now making it virtually impossible for the QBC's to benefit

That credit must go down to the many Directory Owners who have built and supported the many excellent directories that continue to flourish in the very competitive directory market

By setting these high standards gradually the losers and non-genuine directories are continuing to close down daily

britishguy, May 4, 2007 IP
  20. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice thread. I think some of the owners here are really starting to take the market a little more serious. To bad that everyone that steps into this market does not do the same.

banless, May 4, 2007 IP