1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Google heading towards internet search monopoly?

Discussion in 'Google' started by zee, May 3, 2007.

?

Google's internet search monopoly: Is it going to happen?

1. Yup, that's where it's heading

71.0%
  2. No, I don't think so

11.3%
  3. MSN and Yahoo won't let that happen

16.1%
  4. Really can't say anything

3.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Google is acquiring big names. Youtube, DoubleClick to name but a few. Do you think Google is going to monopolize internet search market? If it does, do you think think that'll hurt us? Or will it benefit us, the webmasters?

zee, May 3, 2007 IP
  2. 8everything

8everything Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is.. it's been quite a rapid direction though.. if you look what where Google was a few years ago..

8everything, May 3, 2007 IP
  3. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Have the same feeling, it is.

Clive, May 3, 2007 IP
  4. uttoransen

uttoransen Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    not exactly, remember flicker.com is still owned by yahoo, right!
    photo search is more important than the vedio search, and live.com is better than google in picture search.

yes, google is buying up big sites, with orkut.com they already have, so i guess they are far ahead at the moment, but then yahoo and msn are also not too far down. if matt cutts keep posting those blog posts, then you will see other search engines catching up quickly!:)

uttoransen, May 3, 2007 IP
  5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a feeling bubble v2 is going to burst sometime in the future.

BigBadWolf, May 3, 2007 IP
  6. oseymour

oseymour Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google is cornering the internet advertising market....

oseymour, May 3, 2007 IP
  7. JumpstartSEO

JumpstartSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess they have the potential to become an Internet search monopoly, but right now, like someone else mentioned, they're their own worst enemy. They're turning away a lot of really good publishers and advertisers with their Nazi-like control and arbitrary banning of accounts.

There is room for competition, like Ask's new rival, to take over. They just need better customer service and a better appeals process. None of this "this is the last email so don't expect a response" crap.

JumpstartSEO, May 3, 2007 IP
  8. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    While it might seem like they are, I have a feeling we'll see something big from somewhere else that will capture (and keep capturing) market share within 5 years.

drig, May 3, 2007 IP
  9. Stax_Daniel

Stax_Daniel Guest

Best Answers:
    I'd have to disagree..google is buying so many new sites, and so much new technology that i don't think the other big names will be able to catch up at all...they are quite a ways behind google now...

Stax_Daniel, May 3, 2007 IP
  10. GChoi

GChoi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google may be on the way of acquiring more web businesses, but both Yahoo and Microsoft are trying to catch up.

GChoi, May 3, 2007 IP
  11. john269

john269 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google isn't only trying to monopolise the search but also the whole of the web. They are starting to tell use what and what we can't do with our sites, how we can and cannot make money. etc.

For example, you have to make sure you follow their webmaster guidelines which means you have to practically make your site look good to google even though it doesn't look good to your visitors just so that you get into google.

You have to watch how you make money from you site through selling links as they don't like that. Even if you sell advertising they may think it is links.

john269, May 3, 2007 IP
  12. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Internet search wise yes. They still need to focus on non English speaking markets, like China.

gr8liverpoolfan, May 3, 2007 IP
  13. rhommel

rhommel Active Member

Best Answers:
    ADVANTAGE:
    If you play by the book, and use their guidelines and rules to your advantage, then it's all good... nothing to worry about.

DISADVANTAGE:
    This can be very bad to webmasters.. if they ban your account, then that would be the end of your internet marketing career because you will have way much less alternatives..

rhommel, May 3, 2007 IP
  14. RobertD

RobertD Peon

Best Answers:
    it's not where they are headed, it's where they basically are right now IMO. :)

RobertD, May 3, 2007 IP
  15. fedoras

fedoras Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google is the subject of George Orwell book, 1984 :)

fedoras, May 3, 2007 IP
  16. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    That is one of my most favorite books. While I'd normally disagree with you, the Google Search History is almost scary in a way. Especially:

drig, May 3, 2007 IP
  17. NoamBarz

NoamBarz Active Member

Best Answers:
    It most certainly looks like google may turn into a monopoly if it is not one already. Statistically, there is a definition of what it takes to be a monopoly - something like 85% of the market, so google is surely on its way there. In some parts of the world it already is.

The only problem I see right now stems from a moral standpoint. If what is best for all is that search results produce the most OBJECTIVELY related sites to the user's query, who is to say that Google got it right? I'm not completely sure that their algorithm produces the most objectively relevant content...As for us webmasters, we will simply have to adapt - nothing new here. But life may become more difficult in terms of making new sites be seen - which may not be in everyone's interest.

As far as what the future holds, I guess the next giant to take google's place will have to convince users (google's current users) to change their searching/ browsing habbits. Although this may be difficult, it is not necessarily impossible. It will be interesting to see how semantic searches impact our habbits. Some companies are pursuing this goal and google doesn't seem to be interested at this point. Although google may decide to buy any new worthwhile company, other companies still have some extra dollars for big purchases as well...

NoamBarz, May 3, 2007 IP
  18. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google is good, but I don't think they're that good.

Even if they did make a monopoly it would be short lived and eventually crumble. Why? Because the web changes fast and all it takes is a small group of commited thinkers to come up with the next big thing.

checksum, May 3, 2007 IP
  19. drig

drig Peon

Best Answers:
    Change committed to "passionate." I think passionate people are the ones who go far (and yes, you are usually committed when you are passionate about something, but there is more to just being committed).

drig, May 3, 2007 IP
  20. xtraze

xtraze Peon

Best Answers:
    xtraze, May 3, 2007 IP